PDA

View Full Version : ST Augustine Grass

adwmain
09-04-2004, 08:18 PM
I need to get some seed for a customer, where do I get it.

locutus
09-04-2004, 09:17 PM
Seedland.com states that St Augustine seed is not available in the U.S. You will have to buy plugs.

Precision
09-04-2004, 09:59 PM
St augustine doesnot produce sufficient seeds to be a commerically viable option. you need to grow it from sprigs, plugs or lay sod. Sprigging is the cheapest, but won't work unless you attend to it constantly. Plugs are cheap but take a while to fill in. Quicker than seed though. Sod is the way to go even if you lay it in strips or checkerboard the sod.

Just remember, soil prep and watering twice a day (2 week minimum) are mandatory for new installs.

beransfixitinc
09-04-2004, 10:21 PM
Speaking of this, I've often wondered, as a person who sees truckloads of "sod" every once in a while.. how is this processed?

Does anybody have pictures of a "sod house" in operation?

I would imagine, that acres and acres are sprigged, or what have you, with this grass, and then some kind of machine is rolled over it to shave it off and slice it up. I'm sure it's really a very interesting, yet not often thought about process.

CJ GreenScapes
09-04-2004, 10:56 PM
We have several sod farms in my area. Yes, they are usually sprigged, grown, cut (with a machine), then sprigged again if necessary.

I would use St. Augustine sod if it were me. Fighting weeds and erosion while waiting on sprigs to fill in is a pain.

beransfixitinc
09-04-2004, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by CJ GreenScapes
We have several sod farms in my area. Yes, they are usually sprigged, grown, cut (with a machine), then sprigged again if necessary.

I would use St. Augustine sod if it were me. Fighting weeds and erosion while waiting on sprigs to fill in is a pain.

Can you post any pics, for those of us that never see them? I suppose they have to keep dumping fresh dirt every time they scrape?

Fantasy Lawns
09-04-2004, 11:32 PM
http://fantasylawns.com/sod_farm.jpg

Fantasy Lawns
09-04-2004, 11:33 PM
http://fantasylawns.com/empire_zoysia_harvest.jpg

beransfixitinc
09-04-2004, 11:39 PM
Very interesting photos. DO they have to keep that grass cut while it is growing, or do they just let it grow as tall as it wants to keep going? Man, I bet that's alot of acreage

Ric
09-04-2004, 11:54 PM
Steve has posted some excellent pictures of a working sod farm. Please note that there is a thin strip of grass left between the cuttings. This strip will spread and regrow the sod field.

There are two basic forms of Sod in Florida. Sand Sod and Muck Sod which depends on with type of soil in is grown in. Muck sod is normally better sod and may cost slightly more. Muck sod will install easier and establish quicker.

Two basic types of irrigation for sod farms are over head irrigation a flood irrigation. Over head with good drainage is better and has less fungus. Fungus is a problem on new sod because it is grown with high Nitrogen and lots of water.

Sod has a pallet life of 48 hours and after that it is not worth installing. However sod can be saved if you spread a ground mat and spread the sod out off the pallet. It must of course be watered but will stay good for over 30 days. I will do this with left over sod off a job and either use it on the next job or sell pieces out of my nursery. Oops former nursery BC (Before Charley).

Eric 1
09-05-2004, 12:04 AM
Ok, were did you get the photos? did you go out and take them?

Ric
09-05-2004, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by beransfixitinc
Very interesting photos. DO they have to keep that grass cut while it is growing, or do they just let it grow as tall as it wants to keep going? Man, I bet that's alot of acreage

They cut it high to let it run, but not every week.

There is of course many varieties of St Augustine. Floratan is the most popular. However Bitter Blue is used both in Florida and the east coast as far north as the Caroline's because it is more cold and shade tolerant. Delmar and Jade are popular dwarfs but cost more. There are a bunch more Like Seville, Raleigh, Floratine, Floralawn Palmetto and FX 10 which was developed by U of Fla and never stayed green but is drought tolerant.

Eric 1
09-05-2004, 12:12 AM
" No......its a FIRE ANT"

I love it. its so true. lol.:angry:

Fantasy Lawns
09-05-2004, 01:11 AM
credit given .... to one of the only sod faimily's still working today

duda.com