PDA

View Full Version : Dove hunting/shooting anyone??

DaddyRabbit
09-05-2004, 09:39 AM
Did any of the group make opening day? I'd like to hear about a successful hunt as opposed to the one I had. I haven't been on a dove shoot in 5 yrs I'd say so the boyz wanted me to go on this SUPER hunt in Lumberton where the alleged doves were as thick as mosquitoes. Since my good buddy is a Sarge w/the RPD we had a "choice" field w/about 30 other policemen. We paid $15 and went where we wanted so there was no one to blame but ourselves. Mike had to go to this point that he felt would be great so here we go. I got set-up in my place and it must have been deemed a NO FLY zone by the doves. I was out there all day w/the copious colonies of fire ants while being "lobsterized" by the heat. I only got ONE dove...ONE FLIPPIN DOVE that I couldn't find on top of it all. The guys next to us in the next field racked up. So after my reflection of paying say $25 for shells, $30 worth of diesel fuel, $15 hunting license, $25 chair and shirt, $15 for the alleged hunt/shoot and the expense of missing a day of leisure I have decided that this is one expensive dove wherever he or she may be. :eek:

olderthandirt
09-05-2004, 10:08 AM
Went and shot sporting clays sat. May not be as tasty as dove breast but alot more shooting action. And I think a little cheaper lol

Mac

AustinCharles
09-05-2004, 01:37 PM
Nope, didn't make opening day. I'll get out sometime next week. Me and the Dog :)

CamLand
09-05-2004, 04:07 PM
In Michigan they finally passed a dove bill,so we should hear something real soon.my pups would love to get out in the field and play with the doves...

imograss
09-07-2004, 08:42 PM
Didn't get to go yet, but I'm supposed to get in on a hunt this weekend.

geogunn
09-07-2004, 10:13 PM
Didn't get to go yet, but I'm supposed to get in on a hunt this weekend.

imo--where are you going? not much hunting land in METRO. going north????

GEO

mtdman
09-08-2004, 07:43 AM
In Michigan they finally passed a dove bill,so we should hear something real soon.my pups would love to get out in the field and play with the doves...

Better hurry up. Some goofball group is trying to block dove hunting starting next season until it can come up on a statewide referendum.

ofishil
09-08-2004, 08:38 AM
Dove hunting hasnt started here yet. I live in South Texas. I think it starts in a couple of weeks though. Dove hunting is one of the funnest hunts there is. Lots of action. Not like deer. By the way how much is you guys hunting and fishing liscence? Ours went up this year. Its now $64.00 for a combo. I think ours has gone up every year for the last few.

Birddog Lawncare
09-08-2004, 10:37 AM
I made opening day in Ohio. We went on a controlled hunt on Ohio Public land. You could only take 75 shells, and the game wardens were out in full force. They were checking everything: plugs, shells, license, birds, and everything else. It was super hot - anyway ended the day with 12 doves. Not too bad since the limit was 15, the guy next two me shot 75 times and only knocked down 2 birds. Dove shooting is definitely not for the inexperienced.

AustinCharles
09-08-2004, 12:07 PM
I wanted to go today but rain.

The best i've done was fifteen birds with twenty shots.

I'll get out this week sometime. I brought out the shotgun last night to clean and get everything togeather, the dog was going crazy. so she knows she will be going soon. It is nothing better than to watch a good dog work. :cool2:

rtyus
09-08-2004, 04:57 PM
Our season opens in October down here so I haven't been yet. The shell manufacturers love for me to go dove hunting. I usually wind up with about 5 or 6 out of a box. It's worth it though; it's loads of fun.

CamLand
09-10-2004, 03:23 PM
Well Michigan is having it's first Dove hunt in over 100 years.So i'm going to try and get out and knock a few down.I have never done it so it should be interesting.But it will give my Girls time to run in the fields before rabbit season...

kingenterprises
09-10-2004, 04:02 PM
North Central Arkansas. Russellville. Sat Sept 4th. We were on the North side of the Arkansas River on priviate land. 60 guys killed approximately 800 birds. It was a fun shoot. I limited at about 7:45AM, then carried shells and drinks to all the other guys for the rest of the morning. It gets the blood pumping for all the hunting to come. I'm looking forward to duck season!

Dove hunting is a blast.

Peace

King Enterises

Up North
09-10-2004, 04:21 PM
MN just passed a bill that put Doves on our hunting list for the first time in decades. I didn't get out last weekend but will try to squeeze off a round or two on Sunday. We don't have many around the northern MN area, but there's a few. They may have flown south already as cold as it's been here.

Buck

CamLand
09-10-2004, 04:35 PM
We need to get together Buck and go hunting for whatever is in season...

imograss
09-10-2004, 05:42 PM
Geo,
I live an hour west of Nashville, but Nashville is the areas I service. I will be going to a private field in Hickman Co.

Up North
09-10-2004, 06:24 PM
Camland, I agree. Our grouse opener is in a couple weeks along with archery for deer, I can't wait. Grouse are one my favorite upland birds to hunt and I really got into bow hunting last year. How did you do on the geese last weekend, or was it the weekend before that?

Buck

CamLand
09-10-2004, 06:31 PM
LOL!! i had to pass on the geese,my wife is due and i still had to get the nest in order...i'll probably go again later in the season...

Up North
09-10-2004, 07:43 PM
Wow! Expecting huh? Good luck with the baby! You just might be hemmed in for awhile... :D :D

Been there done that myself. :waving:

Buck

Phishook
09-12-2004, 03:03 AM
I might get out tomarrow; if they finish picking the fields behind my house.