PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use GPS?

TimLawn
09-05-2004, 02:19 PM
I have RainCad software (which I have not had time to use yet) and I was wondering if anyone used GPS to plot lawns? I would think it would be a lot easier and quicker than using a measuring wheel to get the dimensions to enter into RainCad.

Planter
09-05-2004, 05:30 PM
I have used one to measure the perimeter of yards, but I don't trust it to plot and place heads, etc. The accuracy to 15 feet leaves a large margin of error.

If you try it keep us posted.

DALMlawn&landscaping
09-06-2004, 05:22 PM
gps' will have a better accuracy, to inches now. back in the 80's, 90's, thats when the "with in three yards" rule applied due to security issues. do some research to see what the current specs are.

besides, when walking the yard, it'll plot a course and tell you exactly how far you've gone (if i remember right) and you wont have to worry about the distance shifting. it use to be that when you plotted a point, or several points, that they would "shift". but this "shifting" shouldn't effect how it will measure distance to put in to your rain-cad software.

blackbox
09-09-2004, 08:48 PM
Let us know how you like Raincad. I am thinking about getting it. Its so expensive!

jerryrwm
09-10-2004, 12:34 AM
Have had RainCad for about 6 years now. No problems with it except for the fact that I don't use it enough. Bought it so I could design several large commercial projects on a contract basis for a landscape design firm. Now it is mostly resident on my computer. Can't really justify getting it all fired up to design a residential system. Still use the T-Square and engineer's scale.

Justify the cost before you get it. otherwise it is just an expensive computer program.

Jerry

blackbox
09-10-2004, 07:16 PM
jerryrwm,
Thanks for the advice.