PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Pricing Monthly/Per Mow?

dunedinsurf
09-06-2004, 01:20 PM
I haven't gotten into the business just yet, I was wondering how you usually bill residential customers.

I have read some people say $35 per mow......so do the people pay you cash every time?

I have read that you can charge them monthly....are all your billings based on the customers request?

Should I have some sort of plans available ahead of time, so the customers can see why they'd be paying, say $85 a month or whatever?

Thanks everyone for this website! Lots of info. and help!

Dan W.

qualitylandscaping
09-06-2004, 01:39 PM
Welcome to Lawnsite!

We bill monthly at the end of every month. Due date is 20 days after we mail them out. Total visits for the month are kept on record and we throw them into the computer and print out the invoices.

I also offer 3-payments (one due before season begins, one due June 31, and one due August 31)..

Also offer 5% off total season with 100% of the season total paid upfront.

I only have a few customers that will pay me when I come. Don't have anyone setup that way, but lots will save the stamp and hand me the check when I come.

We average 4 cuts per month, so your example of $35 per visit would be a monthly bill of $140.00 + sales tax (ours is 8.25%) $11.55= $151.55 total due.

steve122
09-06-2004, 04:20 PM
I have one customer who leaves a check taped to the back door on the day I'm to come and all of my other work is billed at end of month, payable in 30 days. Very few people are at home anymore when you go to cut, so pay when you're there is hard to come by. You'll get many other opinions. Some advocate credit card on file that you bill, others say customers pay in advance. Do what is the norm in your area and what you are comfortable with.

Team Gopher
09-06-2004, 09:33 PM
Hi dunedinsurf,

Some of the LCO's we know bill in advance at the beginning of the month but most seem to bill at the end of the month.

walker-talker
09-07-2004, 10:41 AM
I charge them by the cut, but bill them monthly. Some break it down monthly and year round, but it all comes out the same. You will just have to budget your money better.

Black95gt
09-07-2004, 10:53 AM
Do people oppose paying sales tax?

qualitylandscaping
09-07-2004, 12:10 PM
Do people oppose paying sales tax?

Alot of mine do.. It's too bad for them.. It's state law and I won't break it.. Alot of them just pay the total before tax, and the tax just becomes part of the next invoice..

The IRS is not something to screw with, and I take it seriously

walker-talker
09-07-2004, 01:38 PM
Here, we dont have to charge sales tax for mowing services. We do have to pay for goods sold, trees, grass seed, fertilizer and so on. I pay the tax at the time of purchase and include the tax at the time of the estimate. It's called "steamline bookeeping" and perferred if there is not a lot to pay. If I was doing a lot of landscaping, then I might charge a sales tax. I think I would still pay for it at the time of purchase and include it on their invoice vs. messing with seperate forms for the IRS.

chevyman1
09-07-2004, 01:46 PM
Steve, you aren't supposed to be charging for tax in NYS either for lawns man....where did you get that information

Lawn-Scapes
09-07-2004, 04:43 PM
Dan.. When I operated a lawn care biz in Florida I billed on a monthly basis for all inclusive services. 40-42 cuts, hedge trimming, cut palm frons, etc... divided by 12 months. This is how most did it down there.

Good luck!

Anthony-MB
09-11-2004, 01:26 AM
I bill monthly - but I send invoice for 1st cut. I figure if they're not going pay for the first cut they sure won't pay for the others. And payment is due within 10 days thats long enough - no way am I gonna wait 30 days for payment.

my invoices indicate which days I mowed and the price, if its a rental the street address is added

Amitche
09-13-2004, 12:26 PM
Hey guys really new at this and thinking about starting out in the fall and working up a base for next summer.

Not sure how much to charge for lawns. I see someone said $35 dollars how big a yard is that and how much time are you assuming that takes? What about leaf blowing same thing?

:cool2: