PDA

View Full Version : How to price installing mulch

LCME
09-07-2004, 07:23 AM
I got my first job to install mulch for an weekly mowing customer. After measuring all the beds that will require mulch. The total area is 1306 SQ FT. Mulch depth will be 1". I will be hiring 2 other workers to help install mulch. How would you write up this estimate and how much would you charge. Thanks in advance. LCME

Ken Kesey
09-07-2004, 07:38 AM
You'll need a little less than 8 yards.

Estimate

Materials: 8 Cubic Yards of Mulch @ $X.XX = $X.XX

Labor: X amount of hours billed @ $X.XX =$X.XX

Total Estimate $X.XX

I would charge roughly $750.00 if there was not many weeds or edging to contend with.

gartj
09-07-2004, 07:55 AM
Depending on the type of mulch you may need more than an inch for proper coverage. Around here we generally do 2 - 3 in. Pretty much the coverages apply as:
1" = 300 sq/ft
2" = 150 sq/ft
3" = 75 sq/ft

So at 2" you would need @ 9 yards to cover 1306 sq/ft with a little left for touch up. Depending on what your mulch prices are in your area and type of mulch the customer wants, add your markup, out here generally 25% and your hourly rate, ours is $60 an hour. Do yourself a favor and do it yourself. Its not that hard and 9 yards should take 1 person @ 3 hrs.

Lawn-Scapes
09-07-2004, 08:11 AM
1300sf @ 1 inch will require a little more than 4 yards... so get 5. Without bed prep it should take one person about 3.5 hours to install.

Personally I would install 2 inches at this time of year if you are looking to protect perennials for the winter. If that is the case.. a little more than 8 yards (get 9) would be needed. Should take around 7 hours.

Without bed prep or edging... I would quote $75 per yard installed. Don't itemize your estimate/bill.

LCME
09-07-2004, 08:13 AM
No edging to install. There is not a lot of Prep needed. But, there are a few areas to clean-up, sticks, pull weeds, spray roundup, etc.

The customer is selling the house soon. The owners just want the beds to look fresh. So, that is why I thought 1" would be enough.

Great advise here. Thanks again, LCME

gvandora
09-07-2004, 08:37 AM
My calculations also tell are showing about 4 yards. I would go with five if you haven't spread before, because you might end up putting it on thicker then you want.

3 man/hours to cleanup the bed
5 yards x 1 man/hour per yard = 5 man/hours
1 man/hour for final cleanup.

That comes to nine man/hours for me.

Nine hours x 40 per hour = 360 labor
5 yards x 38 per yard = 190 materials
Disposal fees = 50

Total job price = $600

Keep in mind you need to know your labor rates and necessary overhead contribution. Plus materials cost and again, necessary overhead contribution.

Coffeecraver
09-07-2004, 09:16 AM
600.00 is way out of the ballpark, it's only 4 ydsundefined

65.00 a yrd installed shoud cover that light amount of prep work.

65.00 a yrd installed includes the mulch$260.00
65.00 Hauling
325.00 total job.
Once they see it and decide to add more mulch it's an additional 65.00 a yrd.
There is not a killing on every job,this one is pretty basic.

Good Luck

Ken Kesey
09-07-2004, 10:45 AM
This is a pretty wide range of estimates for 1300 sq'. of mulch. You really do need 2" to make it look nice and do the job.

My math is L x W x 0.17(2") / 27 = 8.1851851851851...

Using 1 man hour per yard is not a good way to figure time for mulch as different properties have different obstacles like the length of haul to the bed from the truck, are there a lot of perennials or none at all, type of mulch, ect.

You could bid two jobs next to each other, 1 man hour per yard and the other by what you know your production level to be and come up losing money because the 1 man hour per yard was much more time consuming due to variations.

"Its not that hard and 9 yards should take 1 person @ 3 hrs."

I doubt that.

With billing starting at time of departure and ending at time of arrival to your shop, in between that spreading nine yards and clean up by yourself will take far more than 3 hours!

Your billing time will be different than others here so only you know your numbers on the labor.

So now you have a chance to double your mulch profits by telling the homeowner that 1” will only dust the beds but 2” will do the job justice.

You now know the math to calculate the desired mulch thickness.

You know how much per hour it costs you to be in business, right?

If so then you know how much to charge for labor to cover your costs.

Are you giving these people an estimate or bid?

What is your price?

LCME
09-07-2004, 05:17 PM
Are you giving these people an estimate or bid?

What is your price?

I'm giving them an estimate. My price after reading the replies above will be:

4 yards mulch installed at 1" thick= $300-325
8 yards mulch installed at 2" thick= $600-650

Additional mulch if required after above completed will be $65-75 per yard.

Price includes material, labor, prep, clean-up, delivery, etc.

Is this estimate reasonable?

Lawn-Scapes
09-07-2004, 06:05 PM
That looks good but we told you 5 or 9 yards would be necessary/better... and there really shouldn't be a range in price. Have some confidence and give a firm price.

jphag
09-07-2004, 06:24 PM
I wouldn't put less than 2 inches. Weeds will grow in quick if you do less than 2 inches.

LCME
09-07-2004, 08:43 PM
OK. I think I got it figured. 9 yards cedar mulch installed. Material:$28 per yard for Cedar +20% mark-up +6% tax= $35/yard. 9 yards x $35= $315. Labor: 6.3 hours x $45 per hour= $284. Delivery fee: $50. Total cost= $649.

The customer will see on the estimate:

Prep and installing Cedar mulch around all beds. Price includes install, material, labor, prep, clean-up, delivery. If needed the cost will be $75 per yard additional.
Material= $315
Labor= $284
Delivery= $50
Total cost $649.00
Down payment to get started $315. Balance upon completion = $334
All add-ons will be on a signed agreement.

Any comments in regards to this estimate?

Ken Kesey
09-07-2004, 09:09 PM
6.3 hours?

What the hell is that?

You're making this too hard on yourself.

Breath deep.

Exhale.

You really want to bill by the whole hour, or 6.5 in this case.

Okay, $45 per hour for three people, one of which is the owner, is to low.

I don't know your numbers but you are probably not making ANY money on this job. You may think you are because you're selling a product for more than you bought it for but if you broke down all your expenses down to what it costs you per hour to be in business then you'll see what I mean.

20% mark up on mulch is not good enough. Most people I know double the cost of wholesale mulch.

We get double shredded hardwood mulch for $15 and sell it for $30. You're making $7 per yard profit and not charging enough for labor.

If this were a bigger job you'd be in big trouble.

Now, I think everyone on this board wants everyone else to succeed. For the most part.

What I'm saying is that I think you really need to evaluate how much it costs you to be in business. Everyone's cost is different.

Maybe you don't have much overhead and own all your equipment and you were an accountant before you started this business.

I just know that $45 per hour for three people and $7 profit on materials for this job is not right.

Lawn-Scapes
09-07-2004, 09:23 PM
Ken... I don't know where "here" is...? But here in my part of Maryland mulch will cost me $27.00/yard. There is no way I could double the cost and then add my labor rate.

Do you order your own tractor trailer load?

If he has 2 guys plus himself... it will not take him 6.5 hours to install. It should not take any longer than 2.5 hours.. if it does.. someone is slacking.

LCME
09-07-2004, 09:25 PM
I was estimating with one worker, me. Maybe I'm buying the mulch at the wrong location. The local landscape cost for cedar is $28 per yard. Should I charge double?. And if I have more workers do I add $45 for each?. Thanks in advance, LCME.

LCME
09-07-2004, 09:39 PM
I buy mulch for $28 and charge $38 per yard x 9 yards needed for 2" depth. 3 men working at $45 per man hour. $135 per hour for 2.5 hours. Material= $342. Labor= $338. Delivery $50. Grand total= $730. Any suggestions. Thanks, LCME

Ken Kesey
09-07-2004, 09:48 PM
Are you having the mulch delivered or is the delivery fee from you bringing it?

If you're picking it up can you get all 9 yards in one trip?

You can deliver, fill, haul, spread and clean up 9 yards, with drive time both ways in 6.5 hours by yourself?

Ken Kesey
09-07-2004, 09:54 PM
I buy mulch for $28 and charge $38 per yard x 9 yards needed for 2" depth. 3 men working at $45 per man hour. $135 per hour for 2.5 hours. Material= $342. Labor= $338. Delivery $50. Grand total= $730. Any suggestions. Thanks, LCME

Are you doing this job by yourself or not?

Where does the 2.5 hours come from?

You lost me.

Lawn-Scapes
09-07-2004, 09:59 PM
It came from my reply which you seemed to have ignored Ken.

I think you are confusing the poor lad. :)

I think your $730 bid is fine. I'm not sure if you figured in your time to prep the area though. It's your first mulch job (if you win the bid).. you will learn from experience.

Ken Kesey
09-07-2004, 10:10 PM
Lawn-Scapes,

"Here" is here, as in NOYB.

"Do you order your own tractor trailer load?"

No. I just get a a lot cheaper "here".

Seriously lcme, do you know your costs of being in business?

o-so-n-so
09-08-2004, 12:08 AM
I would sell the customer exactly what they wanted at $40.00 per yd. over and above the cost of the mulch hauled and installed. If i had bed maint. to do before laying the mulch, that would be extra at my labor rate pmh. I would add a dump fee to that if I hauled away material. I would charge for any chemicals used on the job + my labor rate to apply them.

Tell the customer what you are going to do and show them if possible and cut out all the line items on your estimate. Give a grand total on the estimate and itemize your invoice.

this works well for me. oh yea, when you walk through and show them the one inch of mulch they wanted....up sell by showing them that one inch is not what you would recommend. You can increase your profit and provide a more professional looking job...IMO payup

LCME
09-08-2004, 11:02 AM
Seriously lcme, do you know your costs of being in business?

No. I have not been in the business long enough to really get an idea of my actual costs. I just started in July. My costs are equipment maintenance, fuel, oil, travel, time, materials, etc. I'm learning as I go. But, if you have suggestions on how to estimate typical costs of being in business. Tips, etc. Please let me know. Thanks for the inputs.

LCME
09-08-2004, 11:14 AM
Are you having the mulch delivered or is the delivery fee from you bringing it?
If you're picking it up can you get all 9 yards in one trip?
You can deliver, fill, haul, spread and clean up 9 yards, with drive time both ways in 6.5 hours by yourself?

Ken,

I do not mean to confuse you. I'm new at this and maybe I'm trying too hard to put an estimate together. I guess I need to just do it. And learn from any mistakes for the next job.

I'm planning to deliver mulch for $50. I will attempt using my 6x12 trailer.
I think using the trailer I will have to make 2 trips. The landscape co. is about 2 miles away.
I'm not sure the exact amount of time to deliver, fill, haul, spread and clean up 9 yards in 6.5 hours by myself. But, I think 9 hours by myself is reasonable. and for every additional worker I think I can knock off 3 hours. So, 1 worker 9 hours. 2 workers 6 hrs. 3 workers 3 hours. Is my time estimate reasonable?

Again, my first estimate, job to install mulch. I will have a better idea once I start and finish the job. If I get the job I will post the results here.

Thanks again for the inputs and patients, LCME

LCME
09-08-2004, 11:44 AM
I would sell the customer exactly what they wanted at $40.00 per yd. over and above the cost of the mulch hauled and installed. If i had bed maint. to do before laying the mulch, that would be extra at my labor rate pmh. I would add a dump fee to that if I hauled away material. I would charge for any chemicals used on the job + my labor rate to apply them.

Tell the customer what you are going to do and show them if possible and cut out all the line items on your estimate. Give a grand total on the estimate and itemize your invoice.

this works well for me. oh yea, when you walk through and show them the one inch of mulch they wanted....up sell by showing them that one inch is not what you would recommend. You can increase your profit and provide a more professional looking job...IMO payup

Taking in what you suggested I did the following:

Material:
1) 9 yards @ $40/yard= $360
2) Round-up $20
Total Material= $380

Labor: ($40 pmh).
1) Ben maint. 2hrs
2) apply roundup 1hr
3) Installed 9 yards 9hrs
4) Clean-up 1hr
Total Labor 13 @ $40= $520

Delivery/Dumping:
1) Delivery fee $50 (Lancscape co. is 2 miles. Based on 2 trips)
2) Dumping fee $50 (10 miles to local recycle center)
Total Travel fee= $100

Grand Total= $980

My price keeps changing. I went from $730 to $980. Is this estimate over-kill?.

Ken Kesey
09-08-2004, 12:13 PM
Yes, it's overkill.

Don't stress over it. In no time you'll think all this is pretty funny and you'll throw together a mulch estimate in two minutes.

You may be getting a little pricey.

It's just a mulch job. Keep it simple.

I would not even mention the round up, let alone have them know that they are spending $20 for the product and somehow you're spending a whole hour spraying the stuff.

You may want to keep in the $700 range and see how that goes. Whatever you make, you make. You'll be learning as you're earning as the saying goes.

I tried to send you an e-mail but your set up is not able to.

E-mail me at:

kesey306@hotmail.com

for the information that will help your business grow.

LCME
09-08-2004, 12:56 PM
Estimate to install 9 yards of Cedar.

Price includes: delivery, disposal, Bed Prep maintenance, install, clean-up.

Materials:
9 yards of Cedar
Total= $343

Labor:
Bed prep maintenance., install, clean-up.
Total= $360

Delivery/Disposal:
Total= $50

Grand Total= $753

Payment due before start-up= $343
Payment due upon completion= $410
Any additional will be on a signed agreement

Is this how the estimate should be written?. Thanks, LCME

BladeRunner1967
09-08-2004, 04:16 PM
I've been figuring $75-$85 per yard to supply and install. This takes care of round up and all the other stuff. It is easier for me to figure the yardage on the spot and times the rate and give the guy a price on the spot. So far it has worked out.

9 yards x 85=$765

9 yards x 75=$675

If it's a straight shot and easy to do I go low, if it looks like I'm gonna have some trouble at this I go high. I am a solo operation. Hope this helps.

Coffeecraver
09-08-2004, 05:08 PM
I got my first job to install mulch for an weekly mowing customer. After measuring all the beds that will require mulch. The total area is 1306 SQ FT. Mulch depth will be 1". I will be hiring 2 other workers to help install mulch. How would you write up this estimate and how much would you charge. Thanks in advance. LCME

1) You asked for the estimate based upon 1" of mulch,4 yrds.
2) These guys took you from a 4yd top dress job to a 9yd premium job.

No edging to install. There is not a lot of Prep needed. But, there are a few areas to clean-up, sticks, pull weeds, spray roundup, etc.

The customer is selling the house soon. The owners just want the beds to look fresh. So, that is why I thought 1" would be enough.

This is a typical topdressing job where the people are not looking for high quality or to spend a lot of money.Your first thoughts were correct.

Charge for the 4 yards of mulch by the yard , 65-70 dollars a yard installed.
That means everything is included.You can't charge that much for the mulch and then charge for the hours.

By charging that amount just for the mulch,you would be liable for the sales tax based upon the 65.00 per yard.

Hauling for the 65.00 should cover putting the stuff on the truck.

If you listen to these guys and charge 700.00 or more,you are likely to find out the price is too high,and loose your mowing contract in the process.

If you charge 65.00- 70.00 a yard installed,then the client can make up their own minds if they want more and they will know what it will cost.If they want
another inch then it's another 65-70.00 a yard for it.

KISS ( Keep It Simple Stupid)

LCME
09-08-2004, 09:00 PM
Coffeecraver,

I agree here what you're saying. So, I re-calculated before I called the customer. I went with 4 yards delivery, prep, install for $442 total. Glad I did because the customer only wanted a low cost dressing so it looked good until they sell. I also told the customer if they want additional mulch the cost would be $65 per yard. Customer agreed. Now all I have to do is write up the agreement and have the customer sign it.

Thanks for the comments, LCME

Lawn-Scapes
09-08-2004, 09:11 PM
Looks like you got premium price for 4 yards. Good luck and let us know how it went.

o-so-n-so
09-08-2004, 10:46 PM
LCME, You done a fine job and i think you sold yourself well. You'll learn as you go on how to sell add ons and upgrades just by communication with your customer. Listen to everything they say and act on that.

Mulch pricing should be simple. (tip---you should always measure for yourself no matter the customer says....)

Good luck to u.

LCME
09-09-2004, 09:51 AM
Looks like you got premium price for 4 yards. Good luck and let us know how it went.

Yeah! I did not think about it till now. $111 per yard is great for me. Will be starting this job within 1 week.

Thanks again for the input, LCME

LCME
09-09-2004, 09:56 AM
LCME, You done a fine job and i think you sold yourself well. You'll learn as you go on how to sell add ons and upgrades just by communication with your customer. Listen to everything they say and act on that.

Mulch pricing should be simple. (tip---you should always measure for yourself no matter the customer says....)

Good luck to u.

I faked it. I talked to the customer like I really knew what I was talking about. :rolleyes: I agree here what you're saying o-so-n-so. Sell yourself, communicate and listen to the customer. Act on it. Thanks.

Thanks for the comments from all here. I would not have done so well without your support. Thanks again, LCME :waving:

LCME
09-14-2004, 11:31 PM
Just finished the mulch install job a few hours ago. Used 4 yards with one helper. Took me 3.5 hours. Not bad. We completed prep, install, clean-up and haul away materials. I'm sleeping good tonight :sleeping:

Groundcover Solutions
09-15-2004, 12:54 AM
It would make things much easier if you all just called me and I gave you a price drove my truck up pulled out the hose sprayed it down cleaned it up and sent you the invoice. Granted I don't do anything under 10 yards, but it would solve all your estimating problems.... Just my own "extremely Biased" opinion :)

LCME
09-15-2004, 09:04 AM
It would make things much easier if you all just called me and I gave you a price drove my truck up pulled out the hose sprayed it down cleaned it up and sent you the invoice. Granted I don't do anything under 10 yards, but it would solve all your estimating problems.... Just my own "extremely Biased" opinion :)

If you would of told me that in the first place... I would of called. :D Anyway, thanks for the offer. Cheers :drinkup:

gml9
09-15-2004, 11:49 AM
What is this range in price. Be firm whatever you charge. I charge 65/yd of mulch installed. That includes putting mulch down ONLY. Bed cleanup, spraying, pulling weeds, trenching, etc.....$$$$$$

LCME
09-16-2004, 02:27 PM
What is this range in price. Be firm whatever you charge. I charge 65/yd of mulch installed. That includes putting mulch down ONLY. Bed cleanup, spraying, pulling weeds, trenching, etc.....$$$$$$

gml9,

Do you adjust your $65/YD if the material cost is $40/YD at the local coop?. What is your material cost for $65/YD install only?. My material cost is based on what I get at the local landscape coop. Between 22.50 to $40/YD.

So, if you have 15 yards of premium mulch to deliver and install. At $40/yd you would charge $65/yd?. Your estimate would be $975. payup

My estimate would be like this:
Prep: none
Material: 15 yards x $40 = $600
Delivery: $65 per trip x 3 = $195 (my trailer will haul 5 yards per trip).
Labor: 15 hours x $40 per man hour = $600 (5 hrs with 3 workers to complete).
Grand total = $1395 payup payup

Is my estimate too high? :rolleyes:

Thanks, LCME

gml9
09-16-2004, 03:59 PM
65/yd includes the 19 bucks I pay for a yard. So I make 40 bucks per yard. I can install 3 yards solo in an hour depending on location of beds, etc. If it is a colored mulch, cedar, cypress the price goes up but I mainly use shredded hardwood. All beds IMO have prep work(weeds, raking, trimming shrubs, etc.) prior to mulch- thats all extra. Hope this helps.

LCME
09-17-2004, 09:20 AM
Well, after reading what you guys are saying. Based on what material the customer wants at $40 per yard. I think $65/yd for this job is too low. I can only deliver 5 yards per trip on my trailer. But, landscape delivery is only $45. Would you charge $75/yd or $80/yd to install between 10-15 yards with no prep. And, would you have delivery?.

Coffeecraver
09-17-2004, 01:28 PM
15 yds installed @ 85.00 a yd = 1275.00
I think you should clear 45.00 per yd.
Installed should cover minor prep,not edging,or extensive weeding
Have the mulch delivered.

I pay about 17.50 per yd and install for 65.00 a yd. installed

Edging and weeding are by the foot

LCME
09-19-2004, 01:06 AM
Hi Coffeecraver!

Thanks for the comment. I will be measuring landscape and give an estimate soon. Will post an update here once I get the job or not. Thanks again, LCME :drinkup:

LCME
09-27-2004, 01:22 PM
Talked to the customer regarding just installing premium mulch.

Plan to hire 2 workers at $40 each= -$80. (I believe with 3 workers including myself I can get the job done in 4 hours or less).

Note: I did not mark-up the material because he has a neighbor who is looking for an estimate to install topsoil for a berm in his back yard.

Here is what the agreement will show/include:

11 yards of premium mulch delivered, installed followed by clean-up:

Material: $40 x 11 yards = $440
Labor: $45 x 11 hours = $495
Delivery: $65 (customer doesn't want 11 yards mulch dumped in his driveway. So, I told him I would delivery. Will take 2 trips but material is 1/4 mile away).

Grand total= $1000

Down payment $440
Balance upon completion due $560

Any additional mulch with be at a rate of $85 per yard.

Any comments on my agreement, price, etc.?. Thanks, LCME

Lawn-Scapes
09-27-2004, 01:33 PM
Looks good to me. I can't believe the price of mulch there. I thought it was high here ($30) compared to what others have posted.

Don't know if you are edging the beds or weeding but for comparison I would price 11 yards with edging and light weeding at $990. No edging or weeding would come in at $825.

Your time estimate sounds about right at 3-4 hours for three men.

Good luck....

LCME
09-27-2004, 01:40 PM
Don't know if you are edging the beds or weeding...

The customer has all the black diamond edging installed. Cust. wants to prepare a trench along the edging before I install. And, he has keep the area free from weeds. There is a weed block fabric just below the surface. All I have to do is deliver and install.

Thanks for the comment, LCME

Groundcover Solutions
09-28-2004, 01:11 AM
The customer has all the black diamond edging installed. Cust. wants to prepare a trench along the edging before I install. And, he has keep the area free from weeds. There is a weed block fabric just below the surface. All I have to do is deliver and install.

Thanks for the comment, LCME

If I were you, not that you would not, do an extremly good job. Sounds like this guy might be a tad on the anal side......(thoughs types drive me CRAZY)

LCME
09-28-2004, 12:17 PM
If I were you, not that you would not, do an extremly good job. Sounds like this guy might be a tad on the anal side......(thoughs types drive me CRAZY)

Yes you're correct. He is a perfectionist. When I came to his home to measure up the area. He was by my side making sure I measured correctly. So, I just went along with it politely. :D

Any suggestions or comments on how to handle a perfectionist type customer? Thanks, LCME

GreenMonster
09-28-2004, 12:22 PM
There is a weed block fabric just below the surface.

He is a perfectionist. When I came to his home to measure up the area. He was by my side making sure I measured correctly. So, I just went along with it politely. :D

Any suggestions or comments on how to handle a perfectionist type customer? Thanks, LCME

Doesn't sound like you'll be able to convince him he should pull up the weed mat either.

LCME
09-28-2004, 01:32 PM
Doesn't sound like you'll be able to convince him he should pull up the weed mat either.

Well... this guy seems to know what he wants done. So, I did not talk to him about removing the weed block. He did not ask my opinion. This maybe my mistake. And, maybe I should of explained the correct uses of weed block. But, all he asked for was installing mulch. If the customer was to ask me questions on weed block. Then, I would of recommended removal. Would you go back to the customer and point out the benefits of weed block removed now?. ;)

Groundcover Solutions
09-28-2004, 01:40 PM
no just leave the weed block alone, if it is in then it is fine. Just make sure you cover everything evenly. As for dealing with perfectionists, do the job when they are not home......

GreenMonster
09-28-2004, 01:49 PM
Well... this guy seems to know what he wants done. So, I did not talk to him about removing the weed block. He did not ask my opinion. This maybe my mistake. And, maybe I should of explained the correct uses of weed block. But, all he asked for was installing mulch. If the customer was to ask me questions on weed block. Then, I would of recommended removal. Would you go back to the customer and point out the benefits of weed block removed now?. ;)

This is a one time job for this customer?

If so, I might mention it off the cuff "You know, we don't usually install weed block because......."

If he is a regular customer, he may be asking you next year why he has wind blown weed germination "coming through the weed block". When you explain why, the type of person you are describing will probably ask you why the hell you didn't tell him that last year! :realmad:

LCME
09-28-2004, 03:37 PM
no just leave the weed block alone, if it is in then it is fine. Just make sure you cover everything evenly. As for dealing with perfectionists, do the job when they are not home......

Funny you should say "do the job when they are not home" because the customer was planning to be out-of-town and thought he should be there when I'm working. :dizzy: I told him no leave and do not worry about it. I got it covered. :cool: But, I got a feeling he will be there. But, that's OK with me. I'll put him to work too. :p

LCME
09-28-2004, 03:39 PM
This is a one time job for this customer?

If so, I might mention it off the cuff "You know, we don't usually install weed block because......."

If he is a regular customer, he may be asking you next year why he has wind blown weed germination "coming through the weed block". When you explain why, the type of person you are describing will probably ask you why the hell you didn't tell him that last year! :realmad:

You have a point. I believe I will call him and let him know regarding weed block. Thanks, LCME

Coffeecraver
09-28-2004, 05:19 PM
Don't forget the PITA charge,it's eaiser to keep smiling
while putting up with him.

just4me
07-08-2006, 06:22 AM
15 yds installed @ 85.00 a yd = 1275.00
I think you should clear 45.00 per yd.
Installed should cover minor prep,not edging,or extensive weeding
Have the mulch delivered.

I pay about 17.50 per yd and install for 65.00 a yd. installed

Edging and weeding are by the foot
how much do you charge a ft to do the weed/edge?

all ferris
07-08-2006, 02:38 PM
This thread is 2 years old:hammerhead:

LCME
08-07-2006, 05:20 PM
my thread is still going? thats nuts...

doesgo
08-11-2006, 01:18 PM
It's old, but good! I'm now where you were two years ago, LCME. Just getting started, concerned about how best to approach estimates and all that. Fascinating thread! How's the business going now?