PDA

View Full Version : Who answers your phone?

cochino12
09-07-2004, 05:23 PM
For all the 1 man or real small crews, who answers your phone? I was calling around recently to gather information about the local competition and was shocked at how many people DONT answer the phone. I figure I can pick up some real business once my ad in the book comes out simply because other business owners werent around to let their customers spend money with them.

WeatherMan
09-07-2004, 06:05 PM
I have a Secertary/Book Keeper answear the phones from 9am-5pm

Dwan
09-07-2004, 06:25 PM
I am the last one in the book and I transfer my office phone to my cell. I always answer the phone unless I am talking to a customer or it is a safety concern, then the cell voice mail will get it. I have been told several times that I was the only one that answered when customers were calling so I got the job. Communication with your customers is one of the most important aspects of the job. You need to answer your own phone to get the work, not an answering service or a recorder but you. if you don't believe me then get call waiting and see how many calls you miss.
Nothing anyone hates worse then talking to a damm machine.
When I leave the state on vacation I still take my cell and answer all calls. it may cost me but I have made thousands well on vacation by scheduling work for when I get back.
Because I answer the phone my customers think they are special to me, and by God they are.

cochino12
09-07-2004, 06:29 PM
I am the last one in the book and I transfer my office phone to my cell. I always answer the phone unless I am talking to a customer or it is a safety concern, then the cell voice mail will get it. I have been told several times that I was the only one that answered when customers were calling so I got the job. Communication with your customers is one of the most important aspects of the job. You need to answer your own phone to get the work, not an answering service or a recorder but you. if you don't believe me then get call waiting and see how many calls you miss.
Nothing anyone hates worse then talking to a damm machine.
When I leave the state on vacation I still take my cell and answer all calls. it may cost me but I have made thousands well on vacation by scheduling work for when I get back.
Because I answer the phone my customers think they are special to me, and by God they are.

I couldnt agree with you more, I guess I was wondering if you can always hear/feel your phone ring when you are mowing etc.. I dont ever want to rely on a potential customer leaving a vm, I wouldnt leave on in their posistion but I guess sometimes that may be the only way to do it (with a one person crew).

Dwan
09-07-2004, 06:37 PM
I use a set of Bose noise canceling head phones then put the cell phone ear bud under them. This way I can hear the phone ring. I do need to stop any noise to talk but it has been worth it. As far as mowing I don't do much of that but I am uasualy setting in a bobcat, excivator or driving my dump truck.

Dwan

cochino12
09-07-2004, 06:40 PM
I use a set of Bose noise canceling head phones then put the cell phone ear bud under them. This way I can hear the phone ring. I do need to stop any noise to talk but it has been worth it. As far as mowing I don't do much of that but I am uasualy setting in a bobcat, excivator or driving my dump truck.

Dwan

Thats a great idea, why didnt I think of that :dizzy: . Thanks for the tip, that is exactly what I am going to do.

walker-talker
09-07-2004, 07:00 PM
What do a set of those Bose headphones cost a fella?

Dwan
09-07-2004, 07:48 PM
$299 But well worth it if you concider hearing aids cost between $1500 and $3500 each
http://www.bose.com
http://www.bose.com/images/home_entertainment/products/p_qc2_m_na.jpg

HOOLIE
09-08-2004, 12:35 AM
I'll admit I never answer the phone. I just call my voice mail a lot during the day to check for messages. Most of the calls I get now are referrals, they always leave a message. And I always return calls the same day, I don't think people mind leaving a message so much as there are a lot of companies that don't return calls very well.

nriddle77
09-08-2004, 12:59 AM
Personally, I hate leaving messages. I'd much rather talk to a real person, so I understand why it's important to answer as many calls as you can. My phone has caller id, so I check it every time I get back into the truck.

During the spring or whenever I'm advertising, I try to keep the phone with me so I can personally answer as many calls as possible. This past year, I had lots of hang-ups when someone would get my voice mail. I think they probably just called the next number listed in the paper. It made me understand that I'm not the only one who hates answering machines.
I like the idea of the noise canceling headphones, not only does it save your hearing, it also lets you answer all your calls. Great idea! :)

selnoil
09-08-2004, 06:23 PM
Give an answering service a try. Call each one in your area and interview them, and get references. I have had the same service for 5 years and they answer 70% of our calls both the oil company and LC. They have been awesome!!!! If the customer gives any hint its urgent the service pages or calls me. My wife or I check in several times daily and just have them fax over the calls or orders. They are not expensive at all, for instance, mine took 236 messages last month and it cost only $190.26. Thats .81 cents a call and it was worth every penny considering what these people spend with us or what it would cost to have someone on the payroll 24/7 to answer the phone!

Best of Luck,
Mike

Team Gopher
09-08-2004, 08:14 PM
Hi cochino12,

Here is a link to an answering service (http://www.answerconnect.com/answering-service-colorado-co.html) in CO to maybe give you some ideas.

mtdman
09-08-2004, 10:17 PM
I'll admit I never answer the phone. I just call my voice mail a lot during the day to check for messages. Most of the calls I get now are referrals, they always leave a message. And I always return calls the same day, I don't think people mind leaving a message so much as there are a lot of companies that don't return calls very well.

I am down with this. My business phone doesn't ring anywhere, it's a voicemail only. People leave messages, I call them back. I'm not so hard up for work that I have to capture every call that comes my way, and it's kind of a screening process, I only get messages from those truly interested in my services, not pita price shoppers. I've probably lost potential customers over the years, but seeing as how I'm booked full and can't handle anymore work, I'm not real worried about it. It beats stopping everything just to answer the phone and interrupting my work day.

LwnmwrMan22
09-08-2004, 10:50 PM
I wear slightly baggier pants towards fall, since this is when my firewood season starts.

There's nothing more frustrating than firewood customers calling out of the paper. They let the phone ring 3 times, then call the next guy.

Anyways, I wear SLIGHTLY baggier pants, not like the "homies" wear, but baggy enough where I can somewhat tuck my phone under my leg against the seat to make sure I feel it vibrate.

Sometimes I can't get the phone out fast enough, and instantly call the person back with the caller id, but they're already on the line with the next guy.

Lux Lawn
09-09-2004, 08:40 PM
I answer or return all calls personally during the day or after work.

GreenQuest Lawn
09-09-2004, 11:33 PM
I do!!

well at least the recording of my voice does.

I have too much work anyway.

smburgess
09-16-2004, 07:39 PM
My computer answers the phone and gives the caller a few choices if I'm not in the office:

press 1 to have called transferred to Steve (the computer then puts them on hold, dials my cell phone, and connects me with the caller - this works great).

press 2 to leave a message.

press 3 to send a fax.

press 4 to hear company information.

This system has worked great for me, urgent calls I get.

Potomac Lawns Inc.
09-16-2004, 09:39 PM
Steve,
What type of software are you using i am using BVRP.

Thanks,
Steve

PAXLSI
09-16-2004, 09:42 PM
Keep the cell phone in the truck when I mow, ran over one about 5 years ago, came off my belt. What a mess. I list both numbers in the phone book. My wife/secretary is home during the day to take those calls.

tiedeman
09-17-2004, 05:52 PM
I used to answer the phone when I wasn't out in the field, but now I let the answering machine get it. I feel if they really want me to do the work they will leave a message