PDA

View Full Version : front end support on 1/2 ton

fga
09-08-2004, 11:17 AM
from my other thread, i said i was buying a 1990 GMC 1500 4x4. i'm going to be doing light plowing, with it abd was looking for link for those airbags that go in the front coil springs to add stability to the front end, any one have a link? my usual sites like JC Whitney don't have them for my truck. any help? or ideas?

Grassmechanic
09-08-2004, 01:58 PM
Do search for Timbren, but doesn't the 90 have torsion bar suspension?

We cut for money
09-08-2004, 02:01 PM
try snoway lexan plows. You may not have to modify anything.

The Dude
09-08-2004, 04:25 PM
Summit part #AIR-81560

www.summitracing.com

$66.88
8 dollars shipping and handling

I buy lots of stuff from them, they are great to deal with

The Dude
09-08-2004, 04:47 PM
oops, didnt see u have 4WD. sorry

fga
09-08-2004, 04:57 PM
Do search for Timbren, but doesn't the 90 have torsion bar suspension?
i didn't buy it yet, so i'm really not sure. i'm going to do the search now, but what are timbrens (without laughing)?

Up North
09-08-2004, 05:02 PM
Hey FGA, what kind of plow are mounting up to it? Reason I ask is because I did quite a bit of searching around for plows myself as I'm putting one on my 2000 Chevy 1/2 ton and came up with the Blizzard 760LT. It weighs 550lbs. and the dealer has put quite a few of these on 1/2 tons without needing to beef up the front. I talked to a couple guys locally here and they are very happy with the plow and have no plans on adding bags or Timbrens.

Buck

The Dude
09-08-2004, 05:02 PM
timbrens are helper sprigs. www.timbren.com

fga
09-08-2004, 07:19 PM
Hey FGA, what kind of plow are mounting up to it? Reason I ask is because I did quite a bit of searching around for plows myself as I'm putting one on my 2000 Chevy 1/2 ton and came up with the Blizzard 760LT. It weighs 550lbs. and the dealer has put quite a few of these on 1/2 tons without needing to beef up the front. I talked to a couple guys locally here and they are very happy with the plow and have no plans on adding bags or Timbrens.

Buck
buck,
the plow is already on it. its a myers e 47. someone said i could change to a plexiglass blade or something like that. but i've also been told that other people have done nothing to their trucks and they drive on forever.... so i'll go easy at first, and see if i need some air bags. i already decided since my accounts aren't that far from my house that i'll drive by several times, rather then doing one big push, instead 3/4 inches at a time. thanks.

xcopterdoc
09-08-2004, 08:12 PM
A 1990 1/2 ton is still a 1990 1/2 ton, with or without air bags. The fact remains that the front ends of these trucks will wear at a greater rate than a 3/4 or 1 ton. have all the ball joints checked, idler arm, pitman arm, ect. Its big money if the front end is shot.

RedWingsDet
09-08-2004, 08:43 PM
FGA seems like we keep bumping into eachother between here and plowsite eh? lol anyway, i was just talking to my brother (he works at a custom truck shop) and he was telling me about these things called Road Master Active Suspensions, he said they're mainly used for the rear and that they work OUTSTANDING, they might not work up front but give em a look, im getting them for the rear of my dakota and f150 as soon as i get new tires and shocks on the dakota, and a rear main, windsheild, fluids changed done with the f150.

heres the link.....

http://www.activesuspension.com/

Grassmechanic
09-08-2004, 08:52 PM
timbrens are helper sprigs. www.timbren.com
beat me to it, Dude :waving:

fga
09-08-2004, 09:04 PM
thanks for all the links guys... :drinkup:

fga
09-08-2004, 09:10 PM
FGA seems like we keep bumping into eachother between here and plowsite eh? lol anyway, [/url]
yeah, i'll probably on there more soon. i'm actually excited about the snow now with the new truck on its way. i registered last year, i think i have like 10 posts including today. but i'll get some snow pics, their always cool pictures!

fga
09-08-2004, 09:13 PM
premier,
do you have any accounts lined up yet to plow?

Up North
09-08-2004, 10:17 PM
Hey Adam, like you say, you'll probably be just fine the way it is. My dad plowed for years with nothing but 1/2 tons equiped with Western plows. He never had a problem, and that's in MN where we tend to get a good bit of snow. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Buck

fga
09-08-2004, 10:41 PM
Hey Adam, like you say, you'll probably be just fine the way it is. My dad plowed for years with nothing but 1/2 tons equiped with Western plows. He never had a problem, and that's in MN where we tend to get a good bit of snow. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Buck
with my luck, we'll only get 3" of snow all year anyway! exciting though. Do you get that lump in your stomach when the snow starts coming down, and you want it to end so you can get out there? it used to be "i want to get this over with", now it will be anticipation.
My dump with plow was great until the piston gasket blew on the plow unit, and the blade would slowly drop. my dump isn't 4wd, this pick up is, and has a brand new plow unit, even has the newer style lights. I'm buying this pick up off the same guy who i bought the dump from, and he told me he cut his time in half with the pick up compared to the dump. we will see. :cool:

Up North
09-08-2004, 11:38 PM
Yep I know what you mean. I'm getting back into plowing this winter after about 10 years off, so I'm anxious to get back at it. I actually plowed my own driveway last winter with an 1984 F250 & Western plow, that's what got my juices going again. Good luck with the new rig, hope it gets a workout this winter!

Buck

fga
09-09-2004, 12:02 AM
Yep I know what you mean. I'm getting back into plowing this winter after about 10 years off, so I'm anxious to get back at it. I actually plowed my own driveway last winter with an 1984 F250 & Western plow, that's what got my juices going again. Good luck with the new rig, hope it gets a workout this winter!

Buckyou too buddy. i have a '86 f250. i always debated putting a plow on it... but never did. i felt the plow for $3500 would cost more then the truck is worth. great truck though. i'll be selling in in a few weeks, to make room for some new stuff.

Up North
09-09-2004, 01:24 AM
Adam that's funny, I'm doing the same with the F250, in fact I just charged up the battery today as it hasn't been started since April. It is in tough shape and the plow is worth more then the truck. But it came with the house we bought a year ago, so I wasn't going to complain. Good luck with the sale.

Buck