PDA

View Full Version : Striping tips

gorrell
05-26-2000, 11:04 AM
Just some info for you new guys concerning striping. When you start a job make sure you drive arrow straight, that's half the battle. The next week try to drive at a 90 degree angle to the previous week's pattern. If the lawn isn't large enough to go at a 90, try a 45 or whatever will work. Stay with these two patterns only. To redefine your stripes mow in the direction of the lighter colored stripe and the stripes will become more defined with each weeks mowing. If you try to use more than the two patterns the original, or first, pattern will most likely fade out before it can be redefined in the third week of mowing. Also, the higher you can mow the grass the better your stripes will be defined. Thanks, Lynn

southside
05-26-2000, 11:13 AM
Lynn,<br> Thanks for the tip,I'll try that on my<br>new Walker.<p>Karl<br>

Eric ELM
05-26-2000, 08:24 PM
Thanks Lynn, I'll try that. I couldn't resist. Seriously, if any of you new guys want to see some examples of striping, you can find some examples on my website. I also have a page on striping with 2 pictures of me mowing each direction. Others on this forum also have pictures too. If you want to visit my Website, click on my name.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

bw
05-26-2000, 11:49 PM
what do you do if you want a good defined diamond pattern, do you have to wait a week or do you go 45 then 90 all in the same day, i can stripe but i want a well defined pattern, i can seem to get that(i don't use a professional mower yet) any help is appreciated.

Eric ELM
05-27-2000, 12:06 AM
A commercial mower will help with the striping. You can mow both directions in one week, but you shouldn't have to do this to get good strips. <p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

Toroguy
05-27-2000, 01:03 AM
I had a hard time remembering which direction I started during the previous weeks...after four mowings, following the above guidelines, the direction and stripe become clear. I tried going two directions in a single day, and the stripe lost its effect.<p>On Erics site I didnt pay enough attention the first time...now I understand. A little more practice and I will bring my camera along.

steveair
05-27-2000, 08:56 AM
Hello,<p>On striping, what mower size do you feel leaves the best look. I currently only have a 36&quot; bobcat, and do as you mention, but just don't get the look I want. I'm about to purchase a new walk behind, and am considering a 48&quot; or 52&quot;. Will this help to define my striping signifigantly?<p>Also, is there a big differece in the 48 and 52 when it comes to striping. I have a lot of small, tight, areas and a lot of drainage swails, so I want to stick to either the 48 or 52. (just in case you want to suggest a 60 or 72, thats why i didn't mention one)<p>Thanks. And on what direction you start mowing each week and remembering... I actually wrote it down. I have certain spots I start at and have a calender marked out for the entire year on what directions to mow. <p><br>Now, I may sound silly, but it helps, especially as I get new guys on my crew. It helps them out signifigantly, not to mention gives me a quick reminder too.<p>steveair<br>

grasscapeinc
05-27-2000, 09:14 AM
Any commercial mower should stripe good. The striping is caused by the laying down of the grass in two seperate directions. a 48&quot; or 52&quot; should both stripe good. Stay on the same lines, and use only 2 patterns. Grass that is cut taller will stripe better.<br>A tule of thumb if your new to this &quot;always stay on the lighter colored line&quot;

Guido
05-27-2000, 09:27 AM
I once took over a lawn...mostly shade in the yard......where the previous company mowed the same paths every time for years. I had to eventually bring a small roller in there because of the ruts he left from running the tires in the same path over and over! So make sure you use 2 patterns and alternate them like Eric said : He's got some sweeeet pics to prove it works!!<p>----------<br>&quot;guido&quot;<br>David M. Famiglietti

steveair
05-27-2000, 09:29 AM
hello again,<p>The problems I have with the 36 are that if you have to &quot;correct&quot; yourself and adjust a line a little, you end up only cutting a 20 inch swath sometimes. Hard to get lines that look good when they are only 20 inches. Also, much of the turf I'm mowing is rough, and the mower is always getting bounced, even at slow speeds, so a lot of correcting is needed. I figured the bigger deck will help give me some more room for 'error' and still leave behind a nice stripe. <p>steveair

mattingly
05-30-2000, 11:17 PM
My problem with this striping effect is that it can cause damage in the way the grass will be trained to lay the way you cut it over time. Thus, it will begin to grow in patterns on its own because of this trained effect. I know I have read this somewhere but can't remember where. Also I have seen this somewhere where the person mowed it one way and one way only all year. The grass really doesn't show the effects until a big drought or during the summer. And trust me it looks bad. Of course I have only seen this in the place where it was cut the same way all year. I am currently alternating the stripe on this one place that I will not take on again next year so I am kinda using this as a test ground to see how it will effect the turf. Oh well just my thoughts.<p>----------<br>Integrated Landscape Solutions<br>Lexington, KY

Evan528
05-30-2000, 11:50 PM
though you are right i stripe anyway. last year during the severe droungh you could point out the lawns easily that had been striped all year. all the turf was the color of hay with no green in it at all. the lines where the tires had been times after time were bright white and looked even worse than the hay colored lawn. i also noticed that alot of where the tires had gone over time after time prior to the drought didnt recover after the drought and needed to be resseded. even after all this i still think the advantages of striping out way the disadvantages!

yardsmith
05-31-2000, 03:15 AM
Man I gotta get a camera out to show off my stripes!<br>Been striping since I got my 1st commercial mower, an Exmark 48&quot; Wb back in '96. Customers love it, some are too brain dead to even notice, but at least passers-by will notice.<br>Seems like everyone out here stripes now; a few yrs. ago only the big guys did it. I guess we didn't keep it a secret for long.<br>Anyways, I go 2 weeks in a row on one pattern then 2 weeks the other direction to &quot;establish the layout&quot;, patterning the lawn. From there I can switch directions every week between the 2 or 3 diff. angles.<br>Alot of walk behinds stripe nice, & I HAVE noticed that the boxy-style fabricated decks seem to stripe better than curvy-stamped decks. <br>My bobcat stripes ok, but nothing like my Steiner 220. Actually it's all Steiner decks, because they have a roller in the back to stabilize the deck, to keep it from scalping, & it also accentuates the stripe.<br>Some grasses work better than others in holding a stripe too.<br>Eric gets a nice stripe for his dixies; I can't get my bobcat to define that much; it does do better in wide-bladed grasses, like bluegrass however.<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>

lawnagent
02-24-2004, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Evan528
though you are right i stripe anyway. last year during the severe droungh you could point out the lawns easily that had been striped all year. all the turf was the color of hay with no green in it at all. the lines where the tires had been times after time were bright white and looked even worse than the hay colored lawn. i also noticed that alot of where the tires had gone over time after time prior to the drought didnt recover after the drought and needed to be resseded. even after all this i still think the advantages of striping out way the disadvantages!

This is an old thread I brought back to the top because it brings up an interesting debate, that I would kike to hear more about. Does striped yards look worse than non striped ones after a drought? This is a serious concern since I am about to enter my first season as a striper!:confused:

bastalker
02-24-2004, 05:07 PM
check out this thread...

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44611&highlight=stripes+2003

snowmizer
02-24-2004, 05:44 PM
eric,
nice work, looks great!!! i allways find myself on my first pass drifting to one side or the other! little more seat time i guess.

lawnagent
02-24-2004, 08:34 PM
Thanks Bastalker! Looks good. I guess I overlooked it, there were only 49 pages of striping threads!:D
Snowmizer, please check your PM's. I hope this doesnt bother some of the lawnsite longtime faithful. If so I will watch what I pull up from the past from now on. :angel:

matthew horner
02-24-2004, 09:11 PM
Eric, Could'nt link to your website. COuld you provide me the address.
Thanks,
matt

DLCS
02-24-2004, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by matthew horner
Eric, Could'nt link to your website. COuld you provide me the address.
Thanks,
matt

I just want to let all of the new members know that Eric Erickson past away almost 2 years ago. He was a member who was dedicated to helping anyone on this site and others. He is greatly missed by many here.