PDA

View Full Version : New Ford 2005

GreenTouch LawnCare
09-10-2004, 11:30 PM
I think we are gonna wait and buy this new ford because its made in the U.S.A

http://www.fordvehicles.com/util/external/?page=/asp/redir.asp?site=http://www.commtruck.ford.com

gvandora
09-11-2004, 01:17 AM
Ummmm, ok. Go America! Right.

GreenTouch LawnCare
09-11-2004, 10:31 AM
its people like u that take your freedom granted.

D Felix
09-11-2004, 11:15 AM
I hate to break it to you, but when it comes to vehicles, NOTHING is made completely in the US any more....

They may be assembled here, but I bet a fair amount of the components are made in Mexico or Japan, or somewhere else.

Dan

LandMatters
09-14-2004, 05:45 PM
I'd wait on purchasing the new Ford cabover truck. There will no doubt be some serious problems with it in the first year.

Also, it's not the best policy to buy american because we're american. If ford, chevy or dodge could build a car that runs forever like a Honda or Toyota, I'd say Yeah, go buy ford, but American cars are built like ****. It's a fact of life.

By the way, just bought a 2004 F-350 diesel, blah blah blah and the transmission had to be replaced at 3000 miles. Now we have a 2005 transmission in our 2004 truck. Seems to be better than the old one since they made more adustments to the tranny...... For those that don't know, (and I didn't know), Ford uses a knock-off Allison transmission. Also, the tires that came on the truck (Pirelli's) are about half worn out at 3500 miles.... what pieces of crap.

GreenTouch LawnCare
09-16-2004, 10:29 PM
this is not the first cabover for ford they had them in the past but stop making them. the onlypromlem they might have is with making a 6cyc desiel. other than that it looks pretty good.

Rollacosta
09-16-2004, 11:54 PM
iv'e had a lot of ford trucks vans and lorries over the years but a few years ago i switched to japanese trucks wow what a differance not a single problem with them ..most of my fords which i bought new had to go back 2 or 3 times at least in the first 6 months not so with my new nissan trucks..hate to say it but ford will never ever be my first choice again

terracare
09-17-2004, 12:57 AM
that's some pretty decent torque for that size engine..

Lawnworks
09-17-2004, 08:32 AM
whats wrong w/ a 6 cyl diesel?

rick2752
09-19-2004, 10:12 PM
Not to jump into a huge debate but I just hate people who run their mouth about things they dont know about. The ford f-350 transmission is NOT a knock-off allison, it is made and assembled in Sharonville Ohio. They also make the majority of the parts in house. It your tires are worn out at 3500 miles then you need to quit trying to burn out like a little kid and truth be told that is how the tranny got torn out to begin with.

Nickrosis
09-19-2004, 11:40 PM
And I hate to break it to you, but it's not uncommon. My 2004 F-550 is on its second transmission at 4,000 miles. I baby that truck - it's just that when we started having problems, the dealership kept on saying it checked out when they plugged it in...blah blah blah...

Well, it finally broke down, and a CAR dealership had the commonsense to pull off the transmission fluid filter and found sleeves and pieces floating around. Then sent it to a truck dealership and now we have a new one. We're getting a 2004/2005 F-650 now, too, but I'm not all that impressed.

LawnScapers of Dayton
09-20-2004, 08:53 AM
My Toyota trucks were built in the USA... :rolleyes:

Derek

UNISCAPER
09-20-2004, 12:51 PM
Ford's weak link is thier tranny. The E4OD is the biggest piece of junk they ever made, even after the improvements. After struggling with what truck to buy, we needed a one ton diesel pick up. Got a 3500 Duramax/Allison and it will go 200,000 miles without any significant issues like a transmission. I too don't want to get intoa debate of Jep over American, but, no matter where the truck is made, Toyota still sends it's profits to the land of the red ball. Having a grandfather resting in the bottom of the USS Arizona, I have a little problem with anyone who buys japanese crap no matter whee it is made or how good they think it is,. The Japs are only capable of copying designs, making them cheaper, then calling them better. Sure I can forgive thier attacks so long ago, but that does not mean for a second I'm going to patronize them.

The only way Toyota will ever be able to win a Nascar race is in 2006, when the engines are all stanrdardized. One engine, no matter who makes the truck. It makes me vomit when I see a Toyota name on a Funny Car, none of which are any more like the manufacturers name they carry. The only thing about those rides that is a brand is the name painted on the body.

laine inc
09-20-2004, 01:02 PM
Not to jump into a huge debate but I just hate people who run their mouth about things they dont know about. The ford f-350 transmission is NOT a knock-off allison, it is made and assembled in Sharonville Ohio. They also make the majority of the parts in house. It your tires are worn out at 3500 miles then you need to quit trying to burn out like a little kid and truth be told that is how the tranny got torn out to begin with.
Don't forget Ford has 2 diffrent tranys, The 4 speed overdrive is junk. The 5 speed auto is great and have not heard any thing bad about them.

LawnScapers of Dayton
09-20-2004, 02:29 PM
I respect your opinions Uniscaper........

Now I will tell you my experiences........5 toyota trucks........over 600,000 miles......not one transmission, engine problem

I owned 1 Ford F-150....$3700 in transmission repairs/rebuilds...

2 new Ford Winstars..5 transmissions under warranty....over 3 years.......come on, for me the numbers don't lie......it's not like I didn't give them I chance.....

I need reliability....Toyota has never let me down.......

As for Drag racing and NASCAR...they have nothing to do with my life and operations........

I am sorry for your grandfather. Mine survived WWII physically, but mentally was never the same....lets talk about sad..... So we all have our stories....

Derek

Nickrosis
09-20-2004, 04:46 PM
Don't forget Ford has 2 diffrent tranys, The 4 speed overdrive is junk. The 5 speed auto is great and have not heard any thing bad about them.
The second tranny we're on now replaced a 5 spd. I hope this one goes more than 4000 miles.

UNISCAPER
09-20-2004, 11:06 PM
I have two freinds who have turned back Ford 5 speed automatic trucks by order of the Califiorna lemon law. And, rumor has it, the 366 cubic inch deisel is facing a recal because of electircal issues. Just a rumor around dealers I know. Before deciding to go Duramax/Allison, I have had a 1978 Ford F-250 4x4 that turned 1,000,000 miles. Original engine, 3 transmissions. the truck plowed in Illinois for 4 full seasons. I BPed a 460 and ran that engine when I got the truck. I had a '94 GMC 3/4 tom 4x4 with 800,000 miles on it. No problems, the brakes sucked. and I had a Dodge Dakota, bought new in '88 with the 235 cubic inch V-6. When I gave the truck to a friend 3 years ago, it had 745,000 miles, and she still drives it daily. On the same note, I have seen numerous Toyotas and Nissans that start and run great. They are rusted in half.

So, I don't belive it is always the truck, it is how you care for the truck. Then there are definite design flaws. Computers and automatic trasmissions need to part in thier ways. No transmission going could out work, or outlast a turbo 400, C-6, or 727 torqueflight. Nor can you rebuild a computer tranny for under $1,500.00. Anyone of the aforementioned can be yanked out, redone, and back in for well under $1,000.00.

The unltimate plow/pull truck in my opinion would be a Ford cab, Cummins engine, with Allison tranny. Don't even get me going on the junk Chrysler puts out for trannies. Or the cracked frames from engine torque. GM trucks until 2000 had no brakes. And the jap trucks rust in half. But hey, what do you want for the small tag of 30 plus K? I remember my buddy griping about his new 1979 3/4 ton chevy 4x4 for $7,200.00! And that had a good tranny!

dzd9fy
09-26-2004, 11:17 PM
Would agree on the cab/chassis as Ford, transmission as Allison, but would have to say engine as GM Duramax.

Smalltimer1
09-28-2004, 05:37 PM
Ford's weak link is thier tranny. The E4OD is the biggest piece of junk they ever made, even after the improvements. After struggling with what truck to buy, we needed a one ton diesel pick up. Got a 3500 Duramax/Allison and it will go 200,000 miles without any significant issues like a transmission.

My grandfather's Chevy Diesel Allison is on its 5th transmission at 130,000 miles. Solenoids keep going bad in it.

My '95 F-250 has the original E40D and it's still going strong, of course I also change fluids regularly--unlike most who think autos use lifetime fluid. Properly built, an E40D will handle 800lbs. of torque.

Smalltimer1
09-28-2004, 05:49 PM
I respect your opinions Uniscaper........

Now I will tell you my experiences........5 toyota trucks........over 600,000 miles......not one transmission, engine problem

I owned 1 Ford F-150....$3700 in transmission repairs/rebuilds...

2 new Ford Winstars..5 transmissions under warranty....over 3 years.......come on, for me the numbers don't lie......it's not like I didn't give them I chance.....

I need reliability....Toyota has never let me down.......

All the Toyotas we owned before had some sort of major problem before 10,000 miles. Even had one to blow a head gasket at 6,000 miles. My grandfather had one that rusted through less than 3 years after he bought it new.

My family has had Fords since the late 60's and have never let us down.

1968 F-100 Ranger 390/C6 auto 220,000 miles when sold original everything.
1977 F-150 Custom Supercab Longbed 351M/C6 235,000 miles when sold original everything.
1985 F-150 XL 302/C6 260,000 miles when it was sold, original everything.
1990 F-150 XLT Lariat 302/E40D 180,000 miles when it was sold--original engine & tranny.
1990 F-250 Custom 302/ZF-5 270,000 miles (100,000 miles on second engine) when it was sold.

1987 Toyota 1/2 ton, 54,000 miles rust holes, sold.
1989 Toyota Corolla 78,000 miles, head gasket went at 6,000 miles, bad tranny at time of sale.

zmowingmaster
10-02-2004, 08:30 PM
well, i have a 97 4x4 ranger, i plow with it, i tow with it , and i use it for everyday travelling.... no problems what so ever with any thing...when they say built tough ,they mean it...i am on 90k miles now,

youngdude
10-02-2004, 09:03 PM
How does that Ranger hold up to any kind of snow over 4 inches? Thats really neat, never seen a Ford Ranger with a plow on it, I have seen a lot of the older S-10 but never a Ford Ranger.

dwc
10-03-2004, 12:47 AM
I have had 6 trucks that have been either GMC or Chevy until the last truck that was a 04 Ford F-250 Super Duty with the Powerstroke and 5 speed auto. I just traded the ford in at 22K miles because it was the biggest piece of junk I have ever owned.
Never have owned any other brands other than a Nissan Maxima that was a extremely well built car with not 1 single problem the whole time I owned it (about 40K miles).

dwc

Smalltimer1
10-03-2004, 01:49 AM
I have had 6 trucks that have been either GMC or Chevy until the last truck that was a 04 Ford F-250 Super Duty with the Powerstroke and 5 speed auto. I just traded the ford in at 22K miles because it was the biggest piece of junk I have ever owned.
Never have owned any other brands other than a Nissan Maxima that was a extremely well built car with not 1 single problem the whole time I owned it (about 40K miles).

dwc

I'm driving a '04 F-250 PSD right now--not a hiccup to be found in it. Worst truck we've ever had was a Chevy Silverado--blew the engine 2000 miles after we bought it.

qualitylandscaping
10-04-2004, 11:19 PM
I've had my 2004 F-350 5.4V-8 Auto for alittle over two months.. 6,200 miles and no big problems yet. The interior is alittle "cheap" for the price of the truck, but then again its an XL and its made to be a work truck.. But no mechanical problems. It will tow the 24' enclosed loaded at 9,450lbs pretty well

Pikrite
10-11-2004, 04:40 PM
Guys.... When are you going to learn that all trucks are created equal. My grandpa has been fleeting fords, chevys, dodges, and internationals since the late 60's. All brands have advantages and disadvantages be it ford (i.e. trannies, or starters) or chevy (fuel pumps, or anything electrical) or dodge (frt. ends and rear ends). Toyota can not even be put in the same category since they aren't serious work trucks. Sure they have finally built a real 1/2 ton truck but we have to see how they hold up ten years from now. I can't wait to see how toyota holds up when they start building three quarter and one ton trucks in a couple of years.
Just a couple of thoughts.....(Don't want to offend anyone)

dwc
10-11-2004, 04:58 PM
I am not arguing that chevy's are better than ford's etc. I just know from my experience that my Ford had serious engine problems (6.0 Diesel) of which ford is well aware of and they did not want to do a thing about it. The Ford engineer said it was "normal operating characteristics of the truck" but they never could explain to me why when the service manager and I test drove a NEW truck exactly like it that there was no comparison between the two. The new truck ran like mine used to run before Ford reprogrammed the computer and messed things up.

Smalltimer1
10-11-2004, 06:28 PM
I am not arguing that chevy's are better than ford's etc. I just know from my experience that my Ford had serious engine problems (6.0 Diesel) of which ford is well aware of and they did not want to do a thing about it. The Ford engineer said it was "normal operating characteristics of the truck" but they never could explain to me why when the service manager and I test drove a NEW truck exactly like it that there was no comparison between the two. The new truck ran like mine used to run before Ford reprogrammed the computer and messed things up.

The 6.0L is a solid engine, International's been using it for 4 years now. The computer issues have long been solved. If you get a truck with a post-Nov. '03 engine you'll be fine. The Duramax suffered multiple injector failures when it was first introduced as well.

jbell113
10-11-2004, 07:06 PM
Ford's weak link is thier tranny. The E4OD is the biggest piece of junk they ever made, even after the improvements. After struggling with what truck to buy, we needed a one ton diesel pick up. Got a 3500 Duramax/Allison and it will go 200,000 miles without any significant issues like a transmission. I too don't want to get intoa debate of Jep over American, but, no matter where the truck is made, Toyota still sends it's profits to the land of the red ball. Having a grandfather resting in the bottom of the USS Arizona, I have a little problem with anyone who buys japanese crap no matter whee it is made or how good they think it is,. The Japs are only capable of copying designs, making them cheaper, then calling them better. Sure I can forgive thier attacks so long ago, but that does not mean for a second I'm going to patronize them.

The only way Toyota will ever be able to win a Nascar race is in 2006, when the engines are all stanrdardized. One engine, no matter who makes the truck. It makes me vomit when I see a Toyota name on a Funny Car, none of which are any more like the manufacturers name they carry. The only thing about those rides that is a brand is the name painted on the body.

Sorry guy but if you have a problem with foriegn products then you better take off them shoes and every appliance in your house and throw it all away.

dwc
10-11-2004, 09:39 PM
The 6.0L is a solid engine, International's been using it for 4 years now. The computer issues have long been solved. If you get a truck with a post-Nov. '03 engine you'll be fine. The Duramax suffered multiple injector failures when it was first introduced as well.
Mine was a June '03 engine in an 04 truck. They may have the problems solved now but what made me so mad at them is the who cares attitude that they and the Dispute Settlement Board had concerning the problem that these trucks were/are prone to have concerning the new 6.0.
As far as the D-max having injector problems, I did hear about this but I also heard that GM made it right for their customers, not just told them to beat it.

Smalltimer1
10-12-2004, 01:09 AM
Mine was a June '03 engine in an 04 truck. They may have the problems solved now but what made me so mad at them is the who cares attitude that they and the Dispute Settlement Board had concerning the problem that these trucks were/are prone to have concerning the new 6.0.
As far as the D-max having injector problems, I did hear about this but I also heard that GM made it right for their customers, not just told them to beat it.

Thats the dealer, not Ford. I've had to go through Fords DSB with my old truck, and they were more than willing to work with me to solve my problems.

The absolute worst on warranty work is Dodge, we bought a new Ram a few years back for the farm, and its tranny went after just one month. Dodge's equivalent of the DSB is terrible, we had to file Lemon Law on it to get them to buy it back. Never gonna make the mistake of a Dodge truck again.

dwc
10-12-2004, 08:03 PM
Thats the dealer, not Ford. I've had to go through Fords DSB with my old truck, and they were more than willing to work with me to solve my problems.

The absolute worst on warranty work is Dodge, we bought a new Ram a few years back for the farm, and its tranny went after just one month. Dodge's equivalent of the DSB is terrible, we had to file Lemon Law on it to get them to buy it back. Never gonna make the mistake of a Dodge truck again.
I agree it was partly the dealers fault on the deal but what the DSB's final decision said was that they were denying my claim due to the engineers report. Thing is my Service Manager told me there definitely was a problem until the engineer got him in the back room and it just so happens his mind suddenly changed to the truck is perfect. So actually when it was all said and done, Ford turned my dealer against me and denied my claim due to the engineer's slanted view.
I didn't have the time to mess with a lawyer and the lemon law although I do think I could have won. It was easier to just trade it and take my lump and know next time. :waving:

lazer 46
10-14-2004, 05:42 PM
The transmission on my 2002 SilveradoHD had to be replaced at 8000 miles. That was 2 years ago. It has run flawless since than and now has 19,000 miles. Not even a rattle. I like to buy a new truck every 3 years and I am considering a new Ford. I just don't like the front headlights on the Silverado. The problem is I am scared to buy anything because of all the horror stories with new trucks.

blafleur
10-15-2004, 08:23 AM
Gotta go with Pikrite, they all got problems, just in different areas and at different times. My buddy has a diesel performance/repair shop, he can give you the problem list for each brand and year. But plenty of people buy from each company and never have any problems. What frustrates me is that the most problems are after change of some component, then they get the bugs worked out and the complaints go down until the next change. I love my dodge diesel (02 standard), but lots of problems with the auto of that model, and with the 04's after they changed some things under the hood. My buddy tells me that Ford and Dodge have worked their bugs out for right now, and right now its Chevy's that are having some problems after some change that i cant remember. I'll just never buy a truck of the first year model after a drivetrain or electrical change.

Bryan

HOMER
10-17-2004, 09:53 AM
I have a 2000 Dodge 2500 with the Cummins. Engine has been great although I think it should be more powerful than what it is. I'm on my 3rd heater core, none of which were covered under warranty. $600.00 a pop. Transmission was rebuilt at 77,000 miles and luckily had an extended warranty to cover almost all of that. Dealer assured me that his man was the best around, never have any more problems with it............ya right. Now the POS is acting up again.....acting like it wants to jump in and out of gear when it gets into 3rd.........only does right when I'm running 78-80 mph. Speedometer quit working a while back too. ABS and brake light stay on all the time.......whats this about????? Some sensor that'll cost me another 500-600 bucks......I can live with the lights. I've had one problem with the fuel system and that was covered under the original warranty.

I just wonder if the 04's and 05's are truly any better? Would it make any difference to trade up or just keep repairing what you have .............it sounds like the choices out there aren't going to give you the reliability we all want anyway. I think the heater core will probably go again this year as I'm already smelling anti freeze in the cab when I turn it on. I did use the stabilizer they recommended too. I bought a new truck thinking I would/could avoid these issues for a few years.....it's been 4. My old Silverado........84 model..........never had a heater core problem, it did need a tranny but it pulled a 20' trailer with 3 mowers a lot longer than it should have.

American companies really need to get their act together..........heck, if they can't then use the old "outsourceing" idea and find a better transmission that'll fit all 3 brands of trucks. The dealers gotcha by the gonads anyway. Last year it was $45.00 to hook the diagnostic machine to the truck, this year it's $75.00 and that's for every vehicle that gets pulled in there............what happened to jumping in and taking a ride?

I'm sick of problems and downtime
I'm sick of payments
I'm sick of stealerships and lying service depts.

Might as well adopt the Jim Lewis phylosiphy (sp) and buy older trucks..........I'd rather repair something that was paid for than repair bills on top of $580.00 payments.

dcondon
10-17-2004, 10:04 AM
whats wrong w/ a 6 cyl diesel?
Nothing I guess......... I have heard they are going to put the new 6 cyl Diesel in the new f150's. That would be a good truck I think!!! :waving: