PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have success with flyers?

Mo Green
09-11-2004, 12:13 AM
I am about to make the trek around a few neiborhoods and hang some flyers. Has anyone had success with this. How about some tips (i.e. types of neiborhoods, every house or just ones with high grass).

Five Diamond Lawns
09-11-2004, 12:19 AM
What are you advertising?
Too late in the season for maintenance.

Lux Lawn
09-11-2004, 12:24 AM
Flyers are a good way to get your name out so people get to know who you are the more they know you they more work you can get but everybody does flyers so make sure they look nice and don't put them in the mail box.

trying 2b organic
09-11-2004, 12:27 AM
A lesson I learned the hard way is that it depends on the flyer. I didnt do to great with a flyer I did myself in Word. ( My wife thought it was great ;) )
I will pay for design or not waste my time.

Andyinchville2
09-11-2004, 09:27 PM
Flyers are the best form of advertising for me ...way better than the expensive yellow pg ad....They are cheap to mass produce (once you have a good design) and easy to hand out by the thousands.....Timing is improtant tho....You'll get far better response for things like mowing early in the season but I have handed them out anytime I want to get more business.....I've had custmomers call me from really old flyers so some people do keep them just in case....

Up North
09-11-2004, 10:18 PM
I am about to make the trek around a few neiborhoods and hang some flyers. Has anyone had success with this. How about some tips (i.e. types of neiborhoods, every house or just ones with high grass).

Just about any kind of advertising/marketing will be hit or miss. There are so many variables. At this point in the season your flyers might not get the response that they would in the spring. So don't get too discouraged if you don't get a big response, but certainly getting your name out there now won't hurt. The more times a prospect see's your name the better chance you have of landing that prospect as a customer.

Buck

HOOLIE
09-12-2004, 12:53 AM
You won't get as big a response as in the spring, but you should get some calls. People are always looking to switch for various reasons. I've signed mowing customers up even in late October/early November. Keep in mind the college kids are away, some customers are suddenly without their scrubs.

Don't target tall grass, these people very likely don't give a s*** about their property. That's not the kind of client you want.

Mycannon
09-12-2004, 08:23 PM
You won't get as big a response as in the spring, but you should get some calls. People are always looking to switch for various reasons. I've signed mowing customers up even in late October/early November. Keep in mind the college kids are away, some customers are suddenly without their scrubs.

Don't target tall grass, these people very likely don't give a s*** about their property. That's not the kind of client you want. This is where I see alot of people hitting is just tall grass we want return customers not cleanups that just want you to clean there mess up

Team Gopher
09-13-2004, 01:47 PM
Hi Mo Green,

Get out as many flyers as you can. The more within your area of service the better. Here are some free flyer templates (http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=1;t=942) to help possibly get you started quicker. Let us know how everything goes.

Georgiehopper
09-21-2004, 08:18 PM
I love doing fliers..I can always count on fliers to get me through a dry spell. I usually get one job out of every 100-300 fliers that I do. The fliers have to look good though....they have to catch a person's eye otherwise they'll just toss em in the trash.

jpeters
09-22-2004, 10:39 AM
Lux Lawn,

Why not put them in the mail box?? What is the disadvantage of doing that?

Up North
09-22-2004, 12:30 PM
Lux Lawn,

Why not put them in the mail box?? What is the disadvantage of doing that?

It's against the law.

Soupy
09-23-2004, 04:41 AM
I have had good luck with our aeration flier. Better then our fancy door hanger that we use in the spring time.

I put on the flier a price of $60* then at the bottom it says "* up to 5,000 sq ft. $10 extra for each addition 1,000 sq ft."

We normally charge $12 per K, but this is a special, so we are knocking $2 off per K after 5k

Anyway, we are getting 1% response rate and closing all calls. Since they have a good idea what it is going to cost them, the closing rate is 100% (so far). I think I would have had a better turn out if I would have gotten them out earlier, before TGCL launched their Aeration campaign.

Premo Services
09-23-2004, 10:48 PM
Yow!!!
I would not even put a flyer on a house with high grass!!!!!!!!!!! That is a real warning sighn that they are tight, cheap, PITA customers who do not care about their lawn. And would want a low price for any work you would try to bid on for them.

I have found the best thing to do with flyers, is to knock on as many doors as you have time to pass out flyers. Chances are that you will get jobs better than just putting flyers on the doors. You talk to the ho and they sign up for work.

By the way, don't offer neighborhood specials, it just don't work out good...
I tried this in a subdivision that I do the commmon grounds for. Well all I got was the cheap a$$ed PITA, customers that I wouldn't want to have, that complained, whined and drove me nuts by wanting more than I was offering to do for the same price. I am really glad that it only had 9 homes in it.

Georgiehopper
09-23-2004, 10:52 PM
You talk to the "ho"? What if a guy answers the door? One shouldn't assume that the "ho" will be there since most "hos" are out working, just like their studs are.

Premo Services
09-23-2004, 10:54 PM
You talk to the "ho"? What if a guy answers the door? One shouldn't assume that the "ho" will be there since most "hos" are out working, just like their studs are.

The ho in my sentence is the HOMEOWNER

Georgiehopper
09-23-2004, 10:56 PM
I guess we know where MY mind is most of the time... :p

dlandscaping
09-23-2004, 10:57 PM
This year, I made a new flyer, it looks professionally done. It is in color and I am going to make around 500 copies and pass them out to certain neighborhoods which their is a high chance of return. We have had good return with these neighborhoods, and are trying to get more into them for the leaf season, and plowing.