PDA

View Full Version : Extending trailer gate???

walker-talker
09-11-2004, 08:30 AM
I think I will extend my trailer gate another 2 feet. Has anyone done this and have pics? It's 4' now, but I have a hard time getting an aerator and my verticutter up the steep incline. I thought maybe someone might have some pics.

Thanks

Precision
09-11-2004, 09:47 AM
I got the dealer to make me a new 5ft gate instead of the 4 ft. He just switched them out for me. Just realize that your wind resistance will increase dramatically. Cost me about a mile per gallon and when you only got 10.5 before.

another option is to bring a 2x4 and set it under the gate. This will change the angle of incline and is a lot cheaper if you are just missing.

Dig-it Landscaping
09-11-2004, 10:05 AM
Try raising the hieght of your hitch on your truck this may help as long as it doesn't make the back of your trailer too close to the ground while driving.

imograss
09-11-2004, 10:32 AM
I added on to my gate. I think I hold the record in my area for the tallest gate. :eek:

imograss
09-11-2004, 10:34 AM
Heres a link to the pic.

imograss
09-11-2004, 10:35 AM
I will try again. Sorry.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=60985

2k1yzfr1
09-11-2004, 10:36 AM
I had my dealer add a 2' dovetail to my new trailer. Shouldn't cost you more than a couple hours labor.

olderthandirt
09-11-2004, 11:23 AM
Look in the pic forum under my trailor. Or do a search under my name in the pic forum added 2 ft to mine

Mac

walker-talker
09-11-2004, 12:53 PM
Thanks IMO and olderthan dirt. IMO, when you get a chance, would you mind taking a pic or two of your extension....close-up? I am very concerned about the actual welding of the extension. I am only afraid that over time the gate will bend and/or break at the point of extension. I passed up the opportunity of getting the dovetail for an extra $140 at the time of purchasing the trailer 2 years ago....really kicking myself because I did consider it but passed. I had thought about selling the trailer and buying another one just for this reason, but since I have built a side gate, storage rack and gate assist for the trailer. Maybe not a lot of money added, but a hell of a lot of time put into it.

imograss
09-11-2004, 01:23 PM
Maybe these will help. My gate is a little over 6' now. I considered making a dovetail but I have several places that might drag. You can see the add on hasn't been painted yet, and I have seen no bending in the year or so Ive been using it.

olderthandirt
09-11-2004, 05:28 PM
Thanks IMO and olderthan dirt. IMO, when you get a chance, would you mind taking a pic or two of your extension....close-up? I am very concerned about the actual welding of the extension. I am only afraid that over time the gate will bend and/or break at the point of extension. I passed up the opportunity of getting the dovetail for an extra $140 at the time of purchasing the trailer 2 years ago....really kicking myself because I did consider it but passed. I had thought about selling the trailer and buying another one just for this reason, but since I have built a side gate, storage rack and gate assist for the trailer. Maybe not a lot of money added, but a hell of a lot of time put into it.

Walker-Talker
don't have a camara available at the moment but I can tell you that I use the trailor to also haul tractors on. I've run 4k# tractors up and down it all summer and it shows no sign of bending or breaking also hauled a NH 170 skid steer a time or two, I do check it as we lower or raise the gate but feel confident that it will hold up fine, especially considering the weight I've run up and down it. I block the back of the trailor before loading or unloading becuase I'm more afraid of bending the tongue of the trailor than the extension.

Mac

walker-talker
09-11-2004, 10:36 PM
Olderthandirt, can youdirect me to that pic that you posted of your gate....I looked this morning everywhere in the trailer forum as you instructed, but could not find it.

Thanks IMO Grass, I see that you just butt the extension on and weld it. I was thinking that it might bend like that. Mine current gate is similar to your now. I was thinking of notching the horzontial piece of angle and running my extensions about half way down the orginal pieces of angle, if not down the full length. Anotherwards, laying a 6' piece of angle on the 4' pice of angle and welding there.

Thanks

imograss
09-12-2004, 12:44 AM
No problem . My gate is built extremely heavy and I have pulles a couple cars up on it and I haven't seen any evidence of stress or bending.

olderthandirt
09-12-2004, 01:24 AM
"I was thinking of notching the horzontial piece of angle and running my extensions about half way down the orginal pieces of angle, if not down the full length. Anotherwards, laying a 6' piece of angle on the 4' pice of angle and welding there"

Thats the exact way I did mine, notched it and ran a 6' piece the full length and I added 2 more braces for extra strengh, although I think its over kill for mowers.
Hope this helps you out.

Mac