PDA

View Full Version : Dodge Ram 2500

Procutlawn
09-12-2004, 02:27 AM
I looked at a Dodge Ram 2500 today. It comes with the expandable towing mirrors, cummins turbo diesel, towing package. It's a 1999, with 167k on it. $9250. This guy is selling it to me wholesale, I think 167k is WAY too steep for a 99? Or should I take him up on this offer?

Grassmechanic
09-12-2004, 09:39 AM
I looked at a Dodge Ram 2500 today. It comes with the expandable towing mirrors, cummins turbo diesel, towing package. It's a 1999, with 167k on it. $9250. This guy is selling it to me wholesale, I think 167k is WAY too steep for a 99? Or should I take him up on this offer?
that motor is just broke in. My buddy's cummins has over 525,000 miles and has never given him any grief.

UNISCAPER
09-12-2004, 12:06 PM
The only thing you need to watch with any Dodge is the transmission. Dodge automatics are the worst in thier class, Ford running a close second. They designed them for 100,000 miles, and will cost you $2500.00 give or take to rebuild. In reality, under heavy snow or pulling up hills and grades, I have seen many Dodges scatter with as little as 25,000 miles on them. The guys out here pulling to the dessert all get stick shifts because when they pull a 40 foot toy box with a couple dune buggies out to the dessert, the 8 and 10 mile grades would lock the automatiics up and cause them to fail.
During snows when I lived back home, the bulk of what was sitting in transmission shop lots were Ddoges, then Fords, then a small handfull of GM products. Also, this is not as much of a problem with cummins models, but has occured more with the V-10, the frames crack on the drivers side from the torque. Usually right in front of the drivers doors. Unless they did a major revamp or braced the frame in some way, I would check the area for cracking.

The engines are one of the least of the worries. Cummins engines can easily hit 500,000 miles, but unlike Duramax/Allison combinations, the trucks other components are not made to go the distance.

CamLand
09-12-2004, 12:34 PM
I have Dodge 2500's and haven't had any problems with the trannys.Mainly because i do maintaince on my trucks.Once a year take the truck in have them changed fluids and tighten whatever needs to be fixed and your on your way.Also check your fluids...

youngdude
09-12-2004, 01:30 PM
The diesel has some miles on it but it still has a lot of life left in it. Everything else on that truck has 167k, and thats a lot of wear and tear to all the littel parts that could go any minute. If i were you I would keep looking.

Procutlawn
09-12-2004, 02:59 PM
From looking at it, it's a very nice truck, looks very well taken care of. The guy said it's a one owner from Arizona according to carfax, and he showed me it, so maybe they are all highway miles. I would for sure take it in and get all the fluids changed, whatever needs to be fixed, ect. I didn't think 167k was TOO bad, I know those Cummins last forever.

Randy J
09-12-2004, 03:57 PM
I sold my '98 a little over a year ago, with 160,000 miles on it, and it was still running great. I wouldn't be afraid of this 99 at all. Find out how it was worked - if it towed hard and has an auto, that may be a concern. If it has a 5-speed, you'll need to check and see if it's had the 5th gear nut fix done (they are notorious for the 5th gear lock nut walking off when the truck is lugged in 5th gear with a load). Some of the earlier '99's had problems with the blocks cracking, so check and make sure you don't see any patches anywhere done around the clyinders - on the outside of the block. Other than checking those things, if it seems to run good, I wouldn't be afraid of it at all. As a matter of fact I'd take it over a lot of other trucks with MUCH lower miles anyday.

xcopterdoc
09-12-2004, 04:16 PM
Its pretty hard for anyone to give you a thumbs up or down as we cant see the truck and we dont know the seller. The best you can hope for is someone will reply that has that exact make and model, engine and trans. Other than that, I would take it to a well known, respected shop and have em look it over. This usually costs between 1/2 and 1 hour labor. If yur serious about buying, its money well spent. Make sure the shop has access to a computer based maintenance system, ie; ALLDATA, Mitchells ect. It will list all service bulletins and recalls. Ask for a print out of them and make sure they check to make sure they have been applied. Have them list all concerns and have them write up an estimate of repairs. Depending on the nature of the concerns, either steer away or use the estimate to lower the buyers asking price. Theres nothing worse than buying a used vehicle, only to have it break down a few miles later and needing major repairs!

Procutlawn
09-12-2004, 06:08 PM
I found out it was a 2x4. I have no interest in it anymore.............