PDA

View Full Version : lookin for a quad

Ocutter
09-13-2004, 10:38 PM
Im looking to buy a used quad this month. Ive ridden a friends before...a long time ago. Im looking in the 250-400 range. My mulch supplier has a 350 and says thats all he needs. So im looking for some feedback on what you may have and what I should be wary of. Are quads geared like motorcycles where you have to shift all the time? They have automatics too I assume. Another friend loves Kawasakis. Im liking the Polaris myself. Any opinions? Thanks

dcondon
09-13-2004, 11:05 PM
what ever you go with I would get a 4x4. I have always like Honda and Yamaha.

Pecker
09-13-2004, 11:07 PM
My advice? Go with Kawasaki. I've run Kawi's for years and love'em. The engines are especially durable. I'm speaking of a KDX200 (dirtbike) and a Bayou 220 (quad). Sold both. About 6 weeks ago I bought a brand new Kawi Prarie 360 4x4 (fully automatic and bush-button 4x4, with locking front diff - which most quads don't offer, disk brakes all the way around and the rear is sealed so mud and stuff won't interfere).

Things I look for in a quad:
4x4 (push-button is a must for me), disk brakes(easier to keep clean than drum brakes. . .DRUM BRAKES DO NOT BELONG ON 4WHEELERS!!!), locking front diff. . .other than that, the rest is just preference.

I'd go for an auto unless you just like the sporty feeling of shifting. Also, unless you get a sport quad (which I assume you wouldn't because it is for work), I'd buy a 4x4 because 2x4 utility quads just don't have any resale value anymore (ask me how I know :rolleyes: ).

Anyhow good luck. Also, I love to talk about quads and have ridden for years and years, so if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

PS If you're looking to buy a new utility quad, plan on spending around $4999 for a decent 4x4.

DUSTYCEDAR
09-14-2004, 09:44 PM
i have 2 yamahas both 350's warrior fun race type setup no pulling power
the other is a woliverieen 4+4 pulls a good load climbs anything and is still fast and fun
if i was to get a nother 4+4 i would get the biggest 1 i could afford with the biggest power plant i like the pulling power and the 350 is a little small for work but great for hunting and light work great in the snow 2
some of the new quads cost as much as a used truck so that is why i dont have a new 1 LOL

AustinCharles
09-14-2004, 11:07 PM
I have a Yamaha Big Bear 4x4 400

I only use it for hunting and to plow my driveway. The Big Bear is geared really low for work, will go about 40 mph.

I do every now/then go trail riding and it is big enough to go just about anywhere and small enough in size to get through the woods.

I would not go any lower than a 350.

other than that I don't know to much about them other than three of my friends almost died riding them. One is in the hospital now with a broken neck. They can be dangerous even if your being careful.

Hawkeye5
09-15-2004, 09:58 AM
Honda Rancher 4X4. Best mid-size utility quad in my opinion. I use mine for pulling equipment and hunting. Something in the 300 to 350cc area is all that is needed. Mine will go almost anywhere. The Rancher is full time 4X4, has a good low gear and comes in both an auto and cluchless manual transmission. A close second choice would be the Yamaha Big Bear 350.

bobcatnj
09-15-2004, 04:02 PM
i have 2001 yamaha warrior 350 with very low hours on it. i dont have the time to ride it. email me if interested im in central nj spinlandcorp@yahoo.com

Redneck'n
09-16-2004, 12:18 AM
i have a honda.. ok, it's not nice.. it's not new.. but i put it thru hell constantly and it never gives me any worries... here's the lowdown on my little redneck ride... it is a 1987 (yes, '87) honda fourtrax 250.. it has over (stock) sized swawper tsl's on it.. and it gets it day in and day out.. i generally take it mudriding about 3 days a week.. these are 2-5 hour rides thru mud up to the seat.. i have sank it in a pond (the same pond) about 5 times.. i had to do the routine (oil, filters, and drain tank) but it fired right back up... i have had it for 3 years.. i have stuck it once.. and for the record, i stuck a 65hp long tractor in the same hole trying to get the atv out...my brother has a rancher 350 and i can go anywhere he can...all good rednecks have atv's, so all my friends have them as well.. these are the rides i would buy if i were seriously looking.. any honda 350 or bigger, yamaha warriors are fun (if you dont mind clutching)... i have 2 friends that have kawasaki's.. one is a bayou 220 the other is a 600cc something or another... the 220.. everytime we go ride, somebody has to pull it back.. the other, evertime we go ride, someone gets pissed because they cant follow it...
i do know this little tid bit.. every single person i know with a polaris regrets buying it..

so, in closing, if it were me, i would buy a honda rancher 350, manual shifter, 2 wheel drive.. they are about 4 grand around here and they are easy enough to ride.. they are not overly heavy. as 4x4's seem to be.. (but i have a bad back too) they have enough power to drive my 215lbs around with no effort, and with the proper tires, you just about cant get 'em stuck...
all said, this is just the humble opinion of 1 redneck..

DaddyRabbit
09-16-2004, 09:59 AM
Go w/the Kawasaki "Quack" brute force 750. Totally awesome!!

AustinCharles
09-16-2004, 04:21 PM
I have heard bad things about the Polaris also, mainly that the belt drive will slip when it gets wet. Like I said I only know what I have and just hearing things said by a friend who has one he regrets ever buying it.

Also to big will be a bother in the woods on trails. To big to get around easy.

I am glad I have a 4x4. I have been stuck a few times, I have no idea how a 2x2 gets in stuff redneck is talking about? Tires must have a lot to do with it.

But make sure you get a wench. ( for the ATV ) you can leave her home for the day, she probably hates getting dirty anyway :) The wench makes it a whole lot easier to get yourself out.

travis strecker
09-16-2004, 04:44 PM
i got one i will sell you its a 2001 polaris 400 sportsman and it just got new boots and new cv shafts about a 1000 dollars i sell it for $2500

Up North
09-16-2004, 04:48 PM
Ocutter,
If you're going to be doing some heavy duty towing, snowplowing, or just playing around in the snow, you'll want a 4x4. Other then that, a 2x4 is just fine. My dad & I had a Polaris 250 2x4 Trailboss that dragged more deer and did more work then one could imagine. Due to my father's passing and the stepmother selling "OUR" ATV I had to buy another. Now I have a Polaris 300 Express 2x4 and again it hauls & tows more deer, wood, dirt, sand, or anything you can throw at it like nobody's business. I've only had either machine stuck one time and after looking at the situation, a 4x4 would have been buried too. Whether you have 2x4 or 4x4 a winch is a good idea, I still need one for my ATV.

Polaris, Kawasaki, Honda, Yamaha, nothing different then Chevy, Ford, Dodge, it's personal preference as they are all good machines. And unless you're doing some major heavy duty stuff, I wouldn't go beyond a 500cc IMO. Remember, the bigger you go, the heavier it is. Good luck with the decision.

Buck

Redneck'n
09-16-2004, 11:52 PM
tires do seem to have a lot to do with it.. i guess it's like trucks, bigger and better tires usually get you farther in with more fun doing so...
the honda has the swamper tsl's and it will get it... my brothers rancher has stock wheels and he cant go a lot of places i go.. or rather, he cant go without it being an effort or me having to tow him..hahaha...

he is the only person i ride with that has stock tires..he doesnt want to be the odd man out.. but he cant save money because of his drug usage...

anyway, tires do seem to make a huge difference...

scag36
04-15-2008, 12:29 AM
honda rancher will go anywhere and outlast any quad on the market i dont have one i still love them though i got a rincon 680

FearThisDeere
04-15-2008, 08:45 PM
I have had two Polaris'. A Trailblazer 250 and a Scrambler 500 4x4. I ended up getting rid of both of them. I had nothing but problems. Belts, 4x4 hubs, electronics, everything you could think of and I didn't ride them hard at all. Bad luck? Maybe. I'll never get another again.

ATVracer
04-15-2008, 10:44 PM
For the type of use you are looking for, I strongly suggest a Honda. I would NEVER spend money on a Polaris atv. Suzuki, Yamaha and Kawasaki's are decent but nothing compared to a Honda.

JRS Landscaping
04-15-2008, 11:18 PM
i have a 400ex for sale pm me if your interested

JoeyD
04-16-2008, 12:59 PM
You have to ask what kind of riding your doing. Most of the suggestions I see here are for slower trail riding , slow paced, off camber, mud crawling. If thats your riding style then a
4X4 is the way to go. But if your into what we do here in so cal, which is fast paced trail riding, sand dunes, and wide open riding, sliding turns and jumping then you would want to go with a sport quad.

Everyone wil have their preferences, one guys says Honda is the way to go, another says Kawasaki....I will tell you that INMO, and I am only speaking from sport quad experience, the YZF450 by Yamaha and the Suzuki Quadracer 450R are arguably the 2 best sprot quads available. Those bikes have unbeliveable suspension and reliable, powerful motors.

Good Luck!! Have fun!

Allens LawnCare
04-16-2008, 06:48 PM
Depends on what kind of ridding your gonna do, I have a Honda TRX450R....Sick Machine, Balls to the wall all the time, Doesn't like to be ridden slow at all.......Google it...I'm selling it...... it has under 10 hrs on it and a full warranty, Black etc etc....it's an 05 left over bought it in Feb of 06 and didn't even start it in 07, Too Busy!!!! PM me if your interested....I'd be willing to drive to meet you!!

THEoneandonlyLawnRanger
04-17-2008, 10:35 AM
ive owned 2 yamahas and abused the heck out of both of them and they Never gave me any problems... I had a suzuki before that and i had to do some engine and gear work on it...I Highly recommend Yamahas

SLR
04-17-2008, 03:26 PM
I second the motion for voting for Honda, my '85 sits all winter, if it doesn't start first pull i can easily bet 100$ it'll be #2 pull!

FDuce
04-17-2008, 04:05 PM
I wouldn't touch a Polaris, never owned one but have used them before. Nothing but problems, even literally falling apart. I like Honda, they are just dependable, but any of the big 4 ( hon, yam, kawi, suz) would probably be good.

Pirsch
04-21-2008, 02:03 PM
I'm look'n for a safe/operational 200+ auto that can do some minor pulling. Don't have to be pretty just safe and operational. I do some volunteer rescue and fund raising events with a humane society doing medical treatment to humans and animals. Funds are very limited if someone has something they want out of their house!

Please NO Red Cats!

PM me if you have something...

Thanks

SLR
04-21-2008, 08:24 PM
Whats a red cat?? Are you implying it means "no-Honda's" if so why then!

FTGUprprtyMaint
04-21-2008, 11:33 PM
i have a 2007 Yamaha Raptor 350 for sale. pm if ur interested

Pirsch
04-22-2008, 11:39 PM
A Redcat is a Kubuta Engine on some other type of Frame from China that you can't get parts for. I came across a 2006 w/full auto 400 cc with racks and winches for $1000. I found a forum and boy was that an eye opener. Even the people that sell them won't back them more than 30 days or 10 hours which ever comes first!

Pirsch
04-22-2008, 11:41 PM
i have a 2007 Yamaha Raptor 350 for sale. pm if ur interested

Can't PM yet but what kind of $ you look'n at? I'm cheap and poor! Beat up and retired medically!

FTGUprprtyMaint
04-23-2008, 09:51 AM
id let her go for $4.500 its been barely ridden, i use to have a place to ride it but i moved about a year ago...

Pirsch
04-23-2008, 11:06 PM
sorry wish I could but I can't :cry:

JosephLawnCare
08-11-2008, 11:40 AM
So is a Polaris 250 trailblazer or 330 trail boss good for my wife? She wants one bad to trail riding with us guys. She rode my friends wifes 330 trail boss and she freaking loved it. BUT Polaris seems to be the only one with an auto tranny...anyone know of anything different with an auto tranny?

GravelyGuy
08-11-2008, 11:00 PM
UTVs are way more fun than ATVs and would be better for hauling and plowing. I don't know what you could get a used one for though.

My JD Gator XUV is one of the best things I've ever purchased.

JoeyD
08-14-2008, 07:32 PM
Yamaha Rhino or kawasaki Teyrx! Only way to go if your going for a UTV