PDA

View Full Version : yellow page ads...

Up North
09-13-2004, 10:43 PM
I'm going to put an ad in the yellow pages for next season. What are your experiences with this? I can do a 1 inch by 2 inch ad for $26 a month or a 1.5x2 for $33, 2x3 for $38. Do you think size (for the ad...) really matters? I'd probably have the same content no matter how large the ad is, just wondering what the general consensus is. There are about 10 LCO's listed currently, but only 3 from my area. Any suggestions?

Buck

mtdman
09-13-2004, 11:14 PM
I'm going to put an ad in the yellow pages for next season. What are your experiences with this? I can do a 1 inch by 2 inch ad for $26 a month or a 1.5x2 for $33, 2x3 for $38. Do you think size (for the ad...) really matters? I'd probably have the same content no matter how large the ad is, just wondering what the general consensus is. There are about 10 LCO's listed currently, but only 3 from my area. Any suggestions?

Buck

Yellow pages is my #1 method of advertising. I think the bigger the better, this year I went bigger and up front with my ad. Bigger the ad, bigger the text. Think about adding color, too.

:D

cochino12
09-13-2004, 11:22 PM

Buck

At those rates i personally think you would be crazy not to go big as possible, 1 monthly customer pays for your ad and then word of mouth from that job etc etc etc.. Definitly use color

Team Gopher
09-15-2004, 01:09 PM
Hi Up North,

Before you make your final decision, please consider reading this article. Lots of great information in it.

Making Yellow Page Ads Work for Your Small Business! (http://www.businessknowhow.com/marketing/yellow-pages.htm)

Up North
09-15-2004, 03:56 PM
Thanks Gopher! They have some really good info in that article. Greatly appreciate the help and suggestions from all you guys that posted, thanks.

Buck

fga
09-15-2004, 04:18 PM
Buck,
here the YP are really overated. its always word of mouth and refferrals, with the occasional flyer or ad customer. but those prices sound really low, definietly put one in. put a picture of the moose, people will look!

Up North
09-15-2004, 04:42 PM
Buck,
here the YP are really overated. its always word of mouth and refferrals, with the occasional flyer or ad customer. but those prices sound really low, definietly put one in. put a picture of the moose, people will look!

Adam, your YP book must be 10" thick there, with a ton of LCO's in it. I looked in our YP's to check into competitors late last winter and there were only 3 listed in my immediate area, I know of a couple others out there that aren't listed. Then I looked under "Snow Removal" and there were about 5 listed but all just had a line listing, so will probably throw a display ad in there too for snow plowing.

You know, I really fought my wife over that moose. I liked it but thought it was real cheesy for a business, but she thought it fit the "Up North" aspect really well, obviously she won the battle and we used the moose. And we get tons of comments about it, people kind of chuckle then say "I really like the moose!", guess it works. And of course, she always reminds me that it was HER idea...whatever. :rolleyes:

Buck

fga
09-15-2004, 05:04 PM
Adam, your YP book must be 10" thick there, with a ton of LCO's in it. I looked in our YP's to check into competitors late last winter and there were only 3 listed in my immediate area, I know of a couple others out there that aren't listed. Then I looked under "Snow Removal" and there were about 5 listed but all just had a line listing, so will probably throw a display ad in there too for snow plowing.

You know, I really fought my wife over that moose. I liked it but thought it was real cheesy for a business, but she thought it fit the "Up North" aspect really well, obviously she won the battle and we used the moose. And we get tons of comments about it, people kind of chuckle then say "I really like the moose!", guess it works. And of course, she always reminds me that it was HER idea...whatever. :rolleyes:

Buck3 in the book? without looking, i would say i could count atleast 50, and that's only the listed guys. No brainer for your situation,... MOOOOOOOSSSSE!

speaking of wifes ideas, we have a crazy plan for december to make money. it was my wifes idea... i'll show pics then. :dizzy: :help: :help:

Up North
09-15-2004, 05:20 PM
3 in the book? without looking, i would say i could count atleast 50, and that's only the listed guys. No brainer for your situation,... MOOOOOOOSSSSE!

speaking of wifes ideas, we have a crazy plan for december to make money. it was my wifes idea... i'll show pics then. :dizzy: :help: :help:

Does it have something to do with you being 20ft up in the air? On a ladder set up on ice? Holding strings of lights looking for that one @#$% bulb that's burned out??? :angry: :D

Buck

fga
09-15-2004, 05:46 PM
Does it have something to do with you being 20ft up in the air? On a ladder set up on ice? Holding strings of lights looking for that one @#$% bulb that's burned out??? :angry: :D

Buck
no not so dangerous :help: , but i have full possibilty if making a jackass out of myself...

Up North
09-15-2004, 05:56 PM
no not so dangerous :help: , but i have full possibilty if making a jackass out of myself...

LOL! Good luck, I'll be anxious to see what it is and how it turns out.

Buck

fga
09-15-2004, 06:02 PM
LOL! Good luck, I'll be anxious to see what it is and how it turns out.

Buck
i'm gonna need luck, and a shot of something to "warm me up".