PDA

View Full Version : Chevy 3500 Flat/dump Bed

GREENITUP
09-14-2004, 02:45 PM
I have been eyeing a 1988 chevy flat bed / dumper with removable side pannels that is going up on auction in a couple of weeks. it was property of a local college and only has 40,000 actual miles. it's in very good shape for it's age - also has a hydrolic snowplow on the front. my buddy, who is in charge of the auction (state run) said i could probably get it for like $800-900. it runs, has one or two small dings, and mechanically only needs a new master cyl. . i have seen these for sale for around $6000 (usually newer but with more miles). i would also need to paint it.

any thoughts? is it too old for occational business use? more trouble than its worth to fix up?

thanks for any input.

twins_lawn_care
09-14-2004, 03:22 PM
I would grab it in a heartbeat for $800, but that's me. I don't mind using old cars/trucks. Sounds like even if you put in $1000 of work to it to get it safely running and looking nice, you're still making out cheaper than say... a new trucks' transmission repair :realmad: :realmad: sorry, just hit a sore spot.

anyways, I'd go for it, even to have as a spare truck. let us know what you do.

UNISCAPER
09-14-2004, 11:49 PM
The price is right but remember one thing. College trucks are like municipal trucks. Low miles and lots of idle time. Idle time is hell on engines, but even if you had to get a 350 Target motor for $2,000.00 you still only have $3,500.00 in a truck with 40,000 miles. Also note this. The brakes on 88 through 99 GM trucks were the worst pieces of crap money can buy. They fade, and if you get more than 15,000 miles out of a set of front pads you are lucky. The best thing you can do is disable the anti lock system by jumping over the pulsator with a small piece of brake line. Those systems are ratioed at 85% front, and 15% rear brakes. You will replace 7 sets of front pads to every one set of rear shoes. If you can retro fit the truck with a better braking system you are money in the bank. The front pads on that one interchange with Dodge. Both brake systems suck at best.

Don't get me wrong, that is a good price if it goes for what you say. Go for it and prepare for the maintenance.

Green Care
09-15-2004, 09:33 PM
Sounds good too me grab it.