PDA

View Full Version : Small truck choice.

AB Lawn Care
05-27-2000, 06:11 PM
We have decided to buy a truck this year.We want to buy a used small truck.My question is what brand have you found works well for you.It would be pulling a 8 ft trailer with the following.A 36'' walkbehind,push mower,trimmer,blower and 2 gas cans.I am looking for somthing good on gas,not gutless,reliable and that will have enought brake power.What would you get?<p>----------<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care

GrassRoots Lawn Care
05-27-2000, 06:38 PM
We use a Dodge Dakota pickup. Not small, not full size, mid-sized is what they sell it as. Not very good on gas (9mpg) although it has a 245hp V8. Pulls well, brakes well, but the gas milelage could be better. We pull lots of equipment though (about 2500lbs).<p><p>----------<br>Mike Reynolds,<br>GrassRoots Lawn Care, Florida

LiVe2
05-27-2000, 06:45 PM
I would try to find a ford ranger. They are real good and gas and the tranny holds up well. <p>LiVe

bdemir
05-27-2000, 07:24 PM
TOYOTA IS THE BEST SMALL TRUCK YOU CAN BUY PERIOD. MANY GO AS FAR AS 400K MILES ON ONE NEGINE.

Alan
05-27-2000, 08:05 PM
I've had excellent luck with Chevy S-10s. The older design, pre-94 or 95, with 4.3L V6 automatic and 4 wd. They are quite heavy for their size, the frames are way heavier than the imports. I routinely tow 14 ft trailer with Lazer Z, Howard Price hydro walk behind, trimmers, fuel cans, etc.. Have also on occasion had a 30 hp compact tractor behind me, a bit slow on acceleration but otherwise ok. Have two of them right now, an 88 and a 91. Both of them get saddled with 8' Snow-Way plows in the winter as well.

Chip
05-27-2000, 08:40 PM
When I first started in the business over years ago I had a mazda B2000. Pulled a 10'trailer with 2 walkbehinds. Misc equip. in bed of truck. Worked great for start-up. Miss those days when I could fill-up and go for days without stopping at the pump.The people at the local TEXACO all know me on a first name basis now.

John DiMartino
05-27-2000, 09:22 PM
I use and recommend the S10 as well,I have had excellent luck with my old 84 EX-cab 4x4.I use it by choice over my Dodge/Cummins on certain days to pull my 18 ft 10000gvwr trailer.It pulls great up to about 4500 lbs.I also have a 6.5 fisher Minute mount plow and it is a great plow truck for driveways and small lots.I have Repowered it with a stronger engine-but other than that its a tough little truck.If Id had an import I would've broken the frame by now,they are a wanna be truck-they belong in yuppy driveways-not jobsites.<p>----------<br>John D<br>

grasscapeinc
05-27-2000, 10:19 PM
try a new s10 blazer

steveair
05-27-2000, 11:09 PM
hello,<p>if you are gonna run this truck as seriously as it sounds you are, why mess around with a compact. just get a stripped down 1/2 ton with a v-6 and and you will get about the same mileage, same cost (trade in will be much higher) and same value along with a 8 ft bed, which you won't find in anything 'compact'.<p>steveair<br>

MOW ED
05-28-2000, 07:20 AM
Had decent luck with Chev S-10 2wd with 4.3l auto. pretty good on gas - good power but I was towing a 14' with big tail so it acted like a parachute on the highway. In the city it was great- I spent more money on gas for mowing than in the truck. <br>But I love my 98 silverado - I'll never go back.

cutntrim
05-28-2000, 10:00 PM
Full-size trucks are expensive up here aren't they Adam? $30,000+ for a bare-bones 3/4 ton 4x4. Them Yanks don't know how good they've got it. <p>Had a Nissan, 5 speed, 2wd, reg. cab. Loved it, but outgrew it. Awesome on gas, and can pull your equipment no problem. <p>They're hard to find, but try to get a used 3/4 ton 4x4 you can plow with, as long as you've got a mechanic you can trust - you won't be disappointed. <p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>www.cutntrim.com

Bobby
05-28-2000, 10:27 PM
Hey Adam, I owned a 97 Tacoma.Ran great, but a five by ten open trailor with a Grasshopper made it feel unstable on the highway. I now have a 97 S-10. Major difference in ability to pull. However,at 85000 the transmission has begun to not go into lockup about half of the time. I guess thats not so bad considering it's pulled a trailor most of those miles. <p>----------<br>Bobby <br>Ft Lauderdale

slingshot
05-28-2000, 10:38 PM
if you ask me the only time a small truck should be on a job site is if it is a formans truck just for estimates and running around doesnt matter if it is chevy ford or toyota

yardsmith
05-29-2000, 12:13 AM
if you don't already have the trailer, you could get a mid 80's chevy 1/2 ton truck & put it all in the bed. A 6 cyl. engine will give decent mileage & plenty of pep.<br>I started out with an 85 Toyota 2wd & pulled a loaded 4x10 trailer with it too; ran great. If you pull a trailer with it, try to get an auto matic!!! The extra wgt. is hard on the clutch, esp. in stop-n-go traffic; my clutch went after the 2nd year of pulling a trailer. But toyotas rule the small truck world!!!!!<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>

thelawnguy
05-29-2000, 07:09 AM
&gt;Full-size trucks are expensive up here aren't they Adam? $30,000+ for a bare-bones 3/4 ton 4x4. Them Yanks don't know how good they've got it. <p>Thats around 20k for those &quot;down south&quot;. Thats cheap. I paid 23k (invoice) for my bare bones 3/4 ton 4x4 back in 94.<p>Take your hard earned loonies across the border and get your moneys worth, then stop at Napa and pop in your DRL module (+50). even at current exchange rate you will have some left for a new mower trimmer and trailer.<p>Bill

AB Lawn Care
05-29-2000, 05:25 PM
Thanks for all the replys guys!<p>Most people either liked the toyota or s10.I think I may try to pick up an s10.I am a toyota man all the way,but toyota's sell for twice the price of an s10 up here.They are in demand.I own a ford F-150 now and it has been great,but it sucks gas like crazy!And it is a 4.9 six cyl!I think I will look for either a 4 or small 6 cyl.Anyone else have any input? <p>----------<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care

steveair
05-29-2000, 08:26 PM
I have a 99 sonoma with 4 cyl, 2wd. I can't say i would use it daily for towing.<br>I've got 33k on it already, and the springs are already sagging in the back (did a few mulch jobs, 1 yd in back with the bumper just about dragging) put a hurting on it. I really can't see using if every day. I ended up buying a older 90 dodge rack body dump for 3k and use that for my hauling. <p>The sonoma is holding up good, but I just don't think it has the strength to use as a 'work' truck every day. I would try to get at least a 150 if I were pulling a trailer.<p>steveair<p>PS. Also, just got a letter from GM last week and they are having a recall on trucks for 'faulty' plug wires.

MRPLOW
05-29-2000, 10:55 PM
I've got a 1993 GMC S15. 120,000 miles and still going strong. Been plowing and towing it with the whole life of the vehicle and have never had any tranny problems or major engine problems. If you can try and get a 92 or 93 as these are old body style but have the 200 HP vortech engine, plenty of power.

Bobby
05-30-2000, 07:40 PM
Adam. The Toyota mentioned above got 20 mpg pulling a 2000lb load. My S-10 gets 15.5 pulling the same load. V6 is the only good choice for a Chevy or a Ford. Most of the power in a 4.3 Chevy is developed at a fairly low rpm. Toyota has a V6 but it is a high rever. I'd like to see somebody put a diesel in a small truck.<p><p> <p>----------<br>Bobby <br>Ft Lauderdale