PDA

View Full Version : Ive Looked Everywhere

PROCUT1
09-15-2004, 08:45 PM
This is off topic but I need help with this one. I need to find a relatively inexpensive meter to measure the number of gallons of water going through a hose.

I have a blacktop sealing rig that I buy the material in concentrate form and I need to add water to it. For 3 years now Ive been measuring with 5 gallon pails which takes forever with a 500 gallon tank.

The only water meters that i can find are hundreds of dollars. For some reason gasoline and oil meters which are cheap all say not to use them with water.

Somewhere in this world there has to be something that screws on the end of a garden hose and dosent cost a fortune

thanks

PROCUT1
09-15-2004, 08:46 PM
I probably should have tried this one in the irrigation forum. My mistake....

PrecisionOutdoor
09-15-2004, 09:39 PM
Check with Aquascape Designs. This should work for your application. The website is below.

Aquascapes (http://www.aquascapedesigns.com)

jerryrwm
09-15-2004, 10:34 PM
Go to a Pipe, Fitting, Valve supply house or a plumbing specialty supply house. You should be able to buy a regular house water meter there, that you can then plumb in to fit your hose connections. Just make sure you get the meter nipples, makes it easier to hook up.

A 5/8" meter might cost you $60-$70.00.

Jerry

gusbuster
09-16-2004, 01:48 AM
I've seen it at my local Home depot that connect to a regular hose bib. Gives you a static pressure reading and g.p.m. flow all on one device. Can't say how accurate it is but did see something like that at home depot. Oh it's made by Toro

jerryrwm
09-16-2004, 02:24 AM
I've seen it at my local Home depot that connect to a regular hose bib. Gives you a static pressure reading and g.p.m. flow all on one device. Can't say how accurate it is but did see something like that at home depot. Oh it's made by Toro

Didn't know they still made those. Just make sure you turn the water on slow, otherwise your guage will read 15 GPM forever. That spring in there is pretty sensitive.

If you want a guage that reads the GPM then the Toro is pretty handy, but you have to calculate the amount of time at each given flow. Get a totalizing meter, and you can watch it go in by accumulated gallons.

Mdirrigation
09-16-2004, 09:35 AM
Pro cut ,sounds like you are using coal tar emulsion , you dont need a meter , I am sure you have a round tank . They have a chart that tells you how many inches in the tank equals so many gallons. . You simply go to the distributor and load the tank, drop a stick in the tank and measure how many inches , then you look at the chart see how many gallons you have and then figure how much water you wish to add . You then look at the chart and add the gallons and it will tell you the measurement , mark the stick with tape and start filling. Add the latex and sand after you fill . Your local heating oil company should have the charts, if not I could run you off a copy. There is also a company called Able industries that sells parts and supplies to sealcoat , they sell a meter like you want .