PDA

View Full Version : Marketing value of new truck

hosejockey2002
09-16-2004, 12:52 AM
I am looking for some thoughts on the marketing value of getting a new truck. I am considering replacing an old Chevy pickup that is not much to look at with a new Silverado 3500 dump truck. Let's throw out all the tangible advantages and disadvantages like reliability, convenience, hauling capacity and the like. What I'm interested in is the sheer marketing value of having a nice new professionally lettered truck versus an old one that is not bad, but just an old truck.

fga
09-16-2004, 09:14 AM
I am looking for some thoughts on the marketing value of getting a new truck. I am considering replacing an old Chevy pickup that is not much to look at with a new Silverado 3500 dump truck. Let's throw out all the tangible advantages and disadvantages like reliability, convenience, hauling capacity and the like. What I'm interested in is the sheer marketing value of having a nice new professionally lettered truck versus an old one that is not bad, but just an old truck.
what do you mean by old? is it beat up? or just old but in great shape? I use an '84 Dump, which i keep looking top notch, and i get customers complementing always. You can take an older truck (as long as it's in good running shape) and make it look great for far less money and overhead then buying a brand new truck. to certain customers i guess a new truck would look like you have been successful, others will look at it like "they will be paying for your new truck". ;) What you truck you running? i'll post a pic of my '84 dodge, even though i know there are several on here its easier then trying to find the post.
amazing what paint, some diamond plate, and some stainless steel whhel inserts will do. i had my lettering made up for $200, then put in on myself. not cheap, just love doing that type of stuff myself........ and keeping overhead down is one of my main strategies in making money.

fga
09-16-2004, 09:15 AM
i'm going to sell the plow, and put on a brand new bumper so we'll look even better in the spring! :cool:

Up North
09-16-2004, 09:54 AM
Adam, that's an awesome looking truck! I agree with you on buying something a little older and fixing it up. Jim Lewis has a thread on an old Chevy he bought and turned it into a great looking rig. I'll see if I can find the thread and post it here.

Buck

hosejockey2002
09-16-2004, 10:06 AM
Adam, thanks for the feedback. That's a great looking truck. My truck is also an '84, a Chevy 3/4 ton. It doesn't look terrible, but to get it looking and running great would probably cost $2k-$3K or so. The motor is a little tired and it would need a little body work and rust repair before a paint job. If it were a dump like yours I would be a lot more likely to put the money and time into it, so I am leaning slightly toward the new one.

Up North
09-16-2004, 10:34 AM
guys, here's that link to Jim's renovated truck. Looks absolutely beautiful.

Buck

http://www.cybcon.com/~jimlewis/ChevyTruck.html

nepatsfan
09-16-2004, 03:13 PM
That truck looks real good, but its still a chevy no matter how you look at it.

Up North
09-16-2004, 03:26 PM
but its still a chevy no matter how you look at it.

That's the reason it's still on the road after all these years... :D

Buck

nepatsfan
09-16-2004, 04:01 PM
How many chevys do you see on the road...and how many fords??????? :cool2:

Up North
09-16-2004, 04:33 PM
How many chevys do you see on the road...and how many fords??????? :cool2:

nepatsfan,
Around here, Chevy hands down. I'd say Ford & Dodge are about even, but we definitely see more Chevy's here. Even when I lived in the twin cities there seemed to be more bowties.

Buck

fga
09-16-2004, 05:12 PM
Adam, thanks for the feedback. That's a great looking truck. My truck is also an '84, a Chevy 3/4 ton. It doesn't look terrible, but to get it looking and running great would probably cost $2k-$3K or so. The motor is a little tired and it would need a little body work and rust repair before a paint job. If it were a dump like yours I would be a lot more likely to put the money and time into it, so I am leaning slightly toward the new one.
hose,
i wouldn't put 3000 into it either unless i absolutely loved the truck. I bought my dump last fall for $3000. it was already painted, i just put about 200 dollars in, for the diamond plate and SS wheel inserts. But i still wouldn't go with a brand new truck because of the payments, then you'll need full coverage insurance for the financing... too much going out of the pocket for cutting 25 dollar lawns.

Buck,
thanks for the link, nice truck that guy has. i don't know how he got it done so cheap though.

and the chevy vs ford thing?? i've owned every brand truck you think of. My fords gave me very little trouble, and easy to fix. my dodge dump ^ has given me ZERO trouble, knock on wood. My toyota was ok. i've owned a chevy Boxtruck, that was an utter nightmare.... but to chevy's defense, the van was abused before i stupidly bought it. I'm in the process right now, as we speak, of a buying a really nice GMC (chevy) pick up. it will probably be the nicest truck i've owned so far.

speaking of older trucks being kept up with, this is my '86 ford i'm selling. it looks better now, cuz i dumped those redneck rims and put on factory wheels with nice tires. If i get the factory ford hubcaps, this truck would look even better.

fga
09-16-2004, 05:16 PM
speaking of older trucks being kept up with, this is my '86 ford i'm selling. it looks better now, cuz i dumped those redneck rims and put on factory wheels with nice tires. If i get the factory ford hubcaps, this truck would look even better...the last pic isn't a truck, just another picture of a well kept older (1980) ride... my badass chevy for ya Buck. :cool:

Up North
09-16-2004, 10:26 PM
..the last pic isn't a truck, just another picture of a well kept older (1980) ride... my badass chevy for ya Buck. :cool:

Sweet looking ride there Adam! Looks like you take care of your vehicles...I do the same. Pays off in the long run to take care of them. That Ford looks really good too, I should post a pic (will have to take one first) of my old 84" F250 I'm selling with the plow...it came with the house we bought last year and nobody ever did anything with it. The plow is worth more then the rust bucket, er, I mean truck.

Buck

HoosierL&L
09-16-2004, 10:52 PM
hosejockey

in todays society looking good has a lot do with peoples decision to go with you versus the competition. That's just my opinion. Would you rather look at Paris Hilton or Roseanne?

OK, maybe that was too much but image does play a factor in your success i believe. Everything from how you dress meeting with prospective clients, you demeanor when talking to them and even your rig. A nicer truck with your logo and other info will appeal to people the same as your image and personality when you talk to them, thats just how the majority of society is these days. Not everyone is like that, but more are than not.

I am in the same boat as you, I will be getting me a new truck very soon and my current truck is a 1998, not that old, but it's been through a lot and it shows.

I wouldn't base your decision on a new truck just for the marketing value or image, I would consider the total package. Yes it's going to make you look a little better pulling up to meet with a client, it might not be their deciding factor but it might help, especially with your logo and number/website on it. Most importantly it's more dependable and all that jazz.

Good luck, i know i have spent a lot of time justifying myself a new truck, and I am definitely doing it more for the dependability and reduced maintenance.

:waving:

fga
09-16-2004, 11:49 PM
hosejockey

in todays society looking good has a lot do with peoples decision to go with you versus the competition. That's just my opinion. Would you rather look at Paris Hilton or Roseanne?

:
the problem with this comparison, is the lawn and appearance of the property is the "product", not the truck he gets there in. you have some good points, and yes, people do care about appearance. but more the appearance of there house compared to their neighbor.
I have properties much nicer then guys with mowers costing more then my truck. I have gotten some of their accounts as well, for being dependable and providing good service.

besides, i would hate destroying a new truck doing this work. like leaning rakes and equipment on it, dinging the bed up. :realmad:

Team Gopher
09-17-2004, 09:44 AM
Hi hosejockey2002,

Here is an article that may be of interest to you. Click image for link.

http://www.pmq.com/mag/2001fall/im/mobile1.gif (http://www.pmq.com/mag/2001fall/mobile.shtml)