PDA

View Full Version : ford pick up help?

fga
09-16-2004, 07:14 PM
i just did an oil change on my '86 ford f250. cranked it up after, and it was running really top notch. It has hardly gotten driven this year at all. i've been using my dump full time. i just go out and start it occasionally. after i started it, and ran it for about 15 minutes, i shut it down to tidy up the inside. I then tried to start it up, and the solenoid (right by the battery) just starts ckicking and i can't get the motor to crank. when i turn the key, i just get the clicking from the solenoid. i'm going to replace it tomorrow, i think it's like 15 bucks, no big deal. but does it sound like that's it. i get a tiny bit of smoke from the solenoid, very little. Is it obvoiusly that, or something else you think. I consider myself a decent mechanic, but when it comes to electrical, i hate trial and error method. thanks....

dcondon
09-16-2004, 07:32 PM
try tapping on the starter and check battery connections.

xcopterdoc
09-16-2004, 07:38 PM
If its clicking, its more than likely working. Sounds like a bad battery or a locked up starter. Try jumping it off.. then take it and have the battery load tested, the charging and starting system checked.

lwcmattlifter
09-16-2004, 07:40 PM
You can test a solenoid by crossing the two large terminals on the solenoid with a screwdriver while the ignition is in the on position. If the solenoid is bad the starter will crank. If the starter wont crank then you have another problem. I used to do this on my old jeeps all the time.

fga
09-16-2004, 07:47 PM
the battery was bought in march, but i know the connection for the negative terminal isn't as tight as it could be. the battery cable is as tight as it can go, and i can still twist it off if i give alittle effort. someone told me to add solder to the terminal. but the truck still cranked all these months, and 15 minutes before i ran into this problem. I'm defintely going to tap the starter with a hammer tomorrow..... as soon as i read that on here, i remember having to do that last summer a few times. been so long i didn't think of it. thanks for the info, you guys know your stuff :drinkup:
you know what, i'm going out now.....

fga
09-16-2004, 08:05 PM
banging the starter didn't work.
you think its possible that the starter is totally locked, and me hammering in a tight spot is pointless? i sanded the terminal lightly and the cable. i twisted it on so its really tight now, so the connection is pretty good right now. sounds like the starter probably? the gauges and the headlight are all really bright, also. :help: :confused:

xcopterdoc
09-16-2004, 08:07 PM
relay still clicking when trying to start it??

fga
09-16-2004, 08:13 PM
relay still clicking when trying to start it??
i just ran back out to check... yeah, clicks loud and clear.

xcopterdoc
09-16-2004, 08:16 PM
Bad starter.. at least without actually being there, thats my internet troubleshooting guess!

fga
09-16-2004, 08:22 PM
Bad starter.. at least without actually being there, thats my internet troubleshooting guess!
thanks for the help. there's a starter place, alittle private place, (not Pepboys), who in the past has tested starters for me for free. (alternators also). can't hurt to have him test it.. i was so hoping it was a little electrical problem in the very top of the engine bay :rolleyes:

CamLand
09-16-2004, 08:24 PM
Hey Adam,check with Napa,they might just check that for you...

Good luck,keep us updated

fga
09-16-2004, 08:30 PM
Hey Adam,check with Napa,they might just check that for you...

Good luck,keep us updated
i don't think we have a NAPA. do you have a pepboys? or Strauss? Autozone? these places hire people who have no clue. if its not in front of them on the computer, they "get the mangager" :help: these places are loaded to the top with "euro import performance parts"... you know, decals, lights, bass tubes :)

dcondon
09-16-2004, 08:35 PM

That's my guess also. Maybe tap on it a little more and see what happens

fga
09-16-2004, 08:45 PM
That's my guess also. Maybe tap on it a little more and see what happens
i tapped pretty hard, and some rust fell off it and hit me in the head. ;)
i guessing i need a new one, although it cranked strong earlier.
I tried last week starting it, but it wouldn't turn over, but it kept on cranking. tank turned up empty :confused: , so when i added gas from a can, it turned right over. but maybe from cranking it too much and not turning over, i did some damage. i wouldn't have cranked so much, but its carbed, and been sitting for a while, so i figured it need some "time" and coaxing.