PDA

View Full Version : anyone ever change an open trailer to enclosed

Smitty58
09-17-2004, 02:12 PM
Ok, how hideous would this look. Take a open 7 x16 trailer and make it an enclosed. Maybe keep part of it open for mulch or whatever. I know I've seen one on here ,but now I can't find it. I have my trailer for sale so I can buy an enclosed one then I got this bright idea. How tough would it be? How much would it cost? and How goofy would it look? Don't want to change my name to "Jed Clampetts Lawn Care" ,but if it could be done and look good ,why not?

LCME
09-17-2004, 03:13 PM
Is this the one you saw?. :blob3:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=83268&page=1&pp=10

Smitty58
09-17-2004, 03:33 PM
No, the one I saw was a factory built trailer with 1/2 open and 1/2 enclosed.

LCME
09-17-2004, 04:03 PM
Ok, never mind. Cheers :drinkup:

out4now
09-17-2004, 04:09 PM
Sort of like a chip dump body? Or do you man like the ones the nurseries use that are like a U-Haul box front cut in half with a stake bed rear?

Hamons
09-18-2004, 11:57 AM
I justa had a trailer made for me that is a combination enclosed open trailer.
It is a 18' 14000# tandem axle trailer. The front 6' is an anenclosed trailer and the back 12' is an open trailer with 3' remveable mesh sides.

It is similar, but not identical to this one.

I HOPE to go pick up my trailer this week. It supossedly was finished Friday afternoon.

meathead1134
09-18-2004, 01:20 PM
Isn't that going to put alot of weight on the tongue once you get it loaded and hooked up??

Hamons
09-18-2004, 03:23 PM
Yes it will == but not more than my 3/4 ton can handle. THe front area will cary basically small eqipment such as aerators, sprayers, hand tools, plants, fertilizers, etc. The baack will hold all of the heavy stuff. I am more concerened about get too much weight on the back end if loaded with gravel of wet soil and then lifting up my back wheels a bit. I hate that!

grass_cuttin_fool
09-19-2004, 09:30 AM
Im not making fun of the trailer, I kinda like the idea of keeping trimmers and blowers , gas cans out of the weather and site of thieves, but it looks like a 6x8 enclosed trailer sitting sideways on the tongue. Is that basically what it is? Is the box as strong as a small enclosed trailer?

Hamons
09-19-2004, 11:04 AM
On my trailer the enclosed is built just like an enclosed trailer == so -- yes -- it just as stong. THe entire frame is conected togethre--- It is one trailer -- not two seperate trailers.

Smitty58
09-19-2004, 09:28 PM
What I am thinking about doing is, build an enclosed are on the back 10 ft of my 16 ft trailer. The only real question is what to build it out of. I could frame it with wood or metal studs ,sheet it with wood or aluminum and trim it out just like a enclosed trailer. I could just put 2 barn doors on the back and leave my gate on so all I have to do is drop the gate and open the doors. Since my trailer has the side gate I would leave the front 6 feet alone for mulch or whatever. Then I could have basically a open trailer and a enclosed all in one. So what do you think of this idea?

Hamons
09-20-2004, 12:09 AM
The only problems I saw with the enclosed part on the back is that when you really load it up -- there would be far too much weight on the tongue. For instance 4 yards of soil could mean having like as much as 8,000 pounds all in front of the trailer axle. Too much. Also, unloadign mulch would be more difficult off of the front than on the back.

Metro Lawn
09-20-2004, 12:33 AM
I have the same type trailer. Never had any problems with weight, even when hauling the mini loader. This trailer is for sale. Will take 1500.00 for it. See ad in the equipment for sale section.

Smitty58
09-20-2004, 08:50 PM
Metro - good looking trailer. Is that front part enclosed with a door on back? How big is the enclosed part? Did you make it yourself? What is it sheeted with?

kc2006
09-20-2004, 09:52 PM
I've been thinking about enclosing my trailer, i was going to enclose the whole trailer though, just wondering how you guys have finished it so it looks nice and not hacked.

I was going to use angle iron to make a frame and bolt plywood and then cover it with aluminum or sheetmetal and try to find the aluminum end caps like the real enclosed trailers have so it would look like a real one. Any one know where i can find the end caps?

kc2006
09-22-2004, 02:16 PM
Metro Lawn, I sent you a PM about your trailer.

Hamons
10-09-2004, 02:14 AM
Here are some pics of my new trailer -- one very big mistake that has to be fixed though. The enclosed part had to be reskinned black. I've had tro wait 7 weeks already -- but I want it black.

Smitty58
10-09-2004, 07:33 AM
Hamons - that is sharp. Did you buy it like that or have it done (or do it yourself) afterwards. I have decided to enclose my whole 16' instead of 2/3 as planned before. I'm still debating on what to sheet it with. I can buy roll stock aluminum which is fairly inexpensive or metal siding like a pole barn ,those are the only 2 things I'm considering at the moment unless someone has a better idea.

Hamons
10-09-2004, 10:48 AM
I had it made that way brand new.