PDA

View Full Version : What fittings are needed for blowout jobs?

Critical Care
09-19-2004, 01:50 AM
Okay, does someone want to tell me what fittings and adapters I should have to handle most irrigation blowouts? The compressor has a ¾” Chicago type of fitting, and I assume I should put a gate valve in line, but then what? Went down to my irrigation supplier today but no luck on finding fittings for the compressor.

Mdirrigation
09-19-2004, 06:59 PM
Chicago fittings are for air compressor hose, way too heavy to roll and unroll all day long. I put a hose reel on my compressor , I un screwed the chicago fitting and attached the pipe threads straight to the hose reel , hose is 3/4 inch rated at 150 psi, I have 150 foot on the reel , and 50 extra in each compressor . As far as adaptors , you will need everything fron 1/4 inch to 2 inch both male and female thread and every type of quick coupler and you still will run into something you dont have

Critical Care
09-19-2004, 08:36 PM
Md... thanks for the reply. I'm renting the compressor and it will have 100' of hose with it. If it were my own compressor than for sure I'd go with the hose reel - I've seen them rigged up that way before and it makes sense.

Basically, I suppose that I need to go from a ¾” chicago fitting to a brass gate or ball valve, and then from that point be able to switch to whatever fitting needed. Unions, perhaps?

MikeK
09-19-2004, 09:41 PM
All Of our Residential systems have a 3/4" Plug or Boiler drain on the backflow. We have a chicago fitting that attaches to the chicago fitting on the hose.
This fitting goes to 3/4" threads and then into Hose thread.
If the backflow just has a plug on it, we remove the plug and thread in a boiler drain, otherwise, we just attach to the backflow that is already there.
No need for a valve on the end of the hose, it's too clumsy to attach sometimes and it really is not necessary.

dbielawski
09-20-2004, 12:51 AM
Anyone know where I can get a hose real. Any names of suppliers, etc. would be most appreciated.

Grassmechanic
09-20-2004, 07:06 AM
Anyone know where I can get a hose real. Any names of suppliers, etc. would be most appreciated.Coxreels or Hannay. Check with Lesco

dbielawski
09-20-2004, 07:18 AM
Thanks for the information.

Mdirrigation
09-20-2004, 08:46 AM
Years ago before I bought a compressor, I would attach my own hose reel to the compressor , just behind the hitch. I made a bracket with U bolts. Regular air compressor hose is too bulky and heavy , the reel saved me lots of time. As far as a ballvalve on the end of the hose , yes it was too bulky , I moved it 10 foot down on the hose , it works great I shut off the air without having to walk back to the machine.

Critical Care
09-20-2004, 01:34 PM
Since I'm renting, I won't be cutting into the hose to insert a valve. Perhaps I'll be able to find several feet of hose and then put a chicago fitting and valve on it. Uh huh, the valve I guess isn't necessary but perhaps handy.

burnandreturn
09-20-2004, 09:14 PM
Here's a hose reel I built from a lawn mower deck hub and spindle and some scrap metal. Single best thing I built for saving me a big hassle. I do alot of Tree air spading and I might run three hundred feet of 1 inch hose and the hose reel makes me smile everytime I use it. I made it big enough to hold over five hundred feet of hose. I just u-bolted a chicago type fitting to attach the hose at the start. I just roll off as much hose as I need and disconnect to the compressor and I'm good to go. A live swivel really isn't neccessary but I might put one on the reel. It is three feet in diameter and 16inches wide.

burnandreturn
09-20-2004, 11:08 PM
pictures didn't upload. I'll try again.