PDA

View Full Version : 48"/52" Walkbehinds

mlc
05-27-2000, 10:54 PM
I have a tired 48" Scag hydro drive walker which I purchased new back in 1991. This machine has treated me very well through the years, but it is time for an update. I wanted to see what makes and models others were using especially what you like/dislike about the unit. Thanks for your input. Steve

Gunner
05-28-2000, 01:03 AM
I have a new Scag 48" 17HP Kawasaki with the Advantage deck. Would highly recommend it.

little green guy
05-28-2000, 02:15 PM
I think a 52" is better than a 48". anyway i'd get a new 52" scag w/advantage deck if i where u. or how about a rider????

geogunn
05-28-2000, 06:33 PM
my favorite is the lesco 48 belt with the 14 hp kawasaki.<p>WHY? because it had done me a very good job for the last four years and it's the mower I own.<p>If I owned a different brand, that brand would probably be my favorite.<p>DOLLAR FOR DOLLAR--I think lesco is hard to beat (can be had for $2100 on promotion).<p>if I had spent $4000 plus, I'd probably say the exmark hydro with floating deck was the best because that is probably what I'd buy.<p>GEO

Tim1075
05-28-2000, 06:56 PM
I am a big Scag fan and I am getting a new ultimate 48&quot; hydro with a 17 hp kawi.

coldbrook landscapin
05-28-2000, 07:07 PM
i have two walkbehinds...one is a 48 belt toro the other 52 belt toro both machines have been excellant with No problems they are about 6 years old other than a belts changed last year these machines have been trouble free i like the 48 belt less scalping however the new toro 52 have two new anti scap roller one the new machines..when i need to replace i would look at the 52 inch deck. both toro's have koler 14 horsepower. i would say that i am using them close to 60 hours per week with no problems I hope that will help you

lawrence stone
05-28-2000, 07:49 PM
Coldbrook I have a 44&quot; belt drive for sale.<br>Completly redone with only about 300 total hours.<br>Has orig. B & S 11hp IC w/ a toro bagging<br>kit. New carb, starter spring, rope, and ratchet. $1300 FOB Eastern PA.<p>You need a spare if you are putting 30 hours<br>per week on each machine.

little green guy
05-28-2000, 09:27 PM
hey tim, just my opinion but i'd save the money and get a fixed deck scag instead of the ultimite scag. I demoed an ultimite scag and hate the floating deck. it's to heavy and hard to get up curbs and stuff. The deck still scalpes and digs into the ground and you can't even lift up the deck like you can on a fixed deck. otherwise it's a great machine

mlc
05-28-2000, 09:40 PM
Thanks guys for all your inputs. What is the benefit of the scag advantage deck? Just curious, I'd much rather hear it from you guys that actually use this equipement than from the dealer's salesman. Steve.

little green guy
05-28-2000, 11:41 PM
the advantage deck cuts tall grass better and there is less blowout. the way the deck is angled in the front gives the grass a chance to stand up before it's cut. I realy does work well in tall grass and normal grass too.

Tim1075
05-29-2000, 02:38 AM
Thanks little green guy i should have demoed it.

Acute Cut
05-29-2000, 03:33 AM
I personally use exmark hydro 52&quot;. I love it. I have a belt drive too (36&quot; P.O.S) and really dont care for it. It slips alot and i end up pushing it. I LOVE my hydro 52 though. It has climbed and mowed some EXTREMELY steep hills. I am impressed. The down side though is that on the TALL (one foot or taller) grass it leaves two stripes behind. I also notice it lays down alot of grass and i have to double or tripple mow it. On upkept grass though it does a golf course quality job. All of my customers have commented on how much they like it.(vs a 21&quot; that is) I may ask my dealer about the new scag deck though. When i used scag about 8 years ago i hated them. They were mechanical nightmares. They broke almost daily and my mechanic really sucked. maybe he was the problem and not the machine. I dont know. BUT, that is just my OPINION. try em all out if ya have the time though. Most dealers will let you demo if they think you might buy. <br>Have a good day ya'll.

Scraper
05-30-2000, 09:45 AM
I recently purchased a 52&quot; Scag Hydro (17HP Kawi) with the advantage deck. Absolutely LOVE IT! Those extra 4&quot; add up on larger lawns. The advantage deck cuts very well and stripes as well as the &quot;original&quot; deck. Gotta love Scags!