PDA

View Full Version : Soybean extract fertilizer?

NCL
09-20-2004, 09:30 PM
Anybody using soybean extract fertilizer?? If not is their anything similar you are using. Also, is there any one organic based product that can be sprayed that really benefits the turf and the soil, it can be sprayed one time or many times throughout the season?? Thanks

Dchall_San_Antonio
09-27-2004, 11:09 AM
I don't know what soybean extract is. I am currently using soy bean meal because I got a deal on it.

There is no "one" perfect organic material. A variety is best. Back before we took over our lawn management from Mother Nature, she fertilized with dead animals. They provided hair, bones, blood, skin, paunch manure, and a bunch of enzymes. Of course you had to tolerate a certain subtle sort of a fragrance, no, more like an aroma or like capturing the essence of a flower after a rainstorm :rolleyes: - actually the rank smell of dead animals is what keeps us from grinding our own rats and squirrels into fertilizer. :dizzy:

The commercial branded organic fertilizers use a mix of corn products, soy, cottonseed, feathers, leather, bone, and blood. Getting that mix perfect is impossible, but you want less blood and more of the dry stuff. All these materials can be had at a feed store. Don't look for NPK on the raw bags of cottonseed meal.

Garden Panzer
09-28-2004, 12:46 AM
:drinkup:
Don't look for NPK on the raw bags of cottonseed meal.

that's REAL good advice....
corn gluten has many prices...

:waving:

Catmann
10-15-2004, 04:06 PM
If you are referring to BioSOF from the professor at Amherst, this product is indeed a specialized soybean extract nitrogen source.

However, it is marketed as a suspendable powder and it is a bit like adding flour to water - very difficult! It does give nice results, but can be difficult to work with, hence I no longer use it or even sell it.

If you leave it in the tank overnight it will ferment and the aroma in the tank the next day will blow your socks into the next state! Plus it is very difficult to remove the odor.

I belive he did come out with a granular version though, yet it was still about a $1.00/lb wholesale, so I am not sure if this will ever fly commercially.

If you were talking about another product, well, nevermind all of this!!!!!

dishboy
02-04-2005, 05:42 PM
I don't know what soybean extract is. I am currently using soy bean meal because I got a deal on it.

There is no "one" perfect organic material. A variety is best. Back before we took over our lawn management from Mother Nature, she fertilized with dead animals. They provided hair, bones, blood, skin, paunch manure, and a bunch of enzymes. Of course you had to tolerate a certain subtle sort of a fragrance, no, more like an aroma or like capturing the essence of a flower after a rainstorm :rolleyes: - actually the rank smell of dead animals is what keeps us from grinding our own rats and squirrels into fertilizer. :dizzy:

The commercial branded organic fertilizers use a mix of corn products, soy, cottonseed, feathers, leather, bone, and blood. Getting that mix perfect is impossible, but you want less blood and more of the dry stuff. All these materials can be had at a feed store. Don't look for NPK on the raw bags of cottonseed meal.

David,

How did you like the soy. How long did it take to get a response. How many pounds per 1000 did you apply. What kind of growth did you get and for how long?

Thanks DB

muddstopper
02-05-2005, 09:13 AM
organic protein source:

Dchall_San_Antonio
02-05-2005, 12:27 PM
I didn't notice any difference with the soy meal versus the corn meal and milo mix I use. I'm kind of surprised at that, too.

I'm back to corn/milo and will be spreading it as soon as I send this message. I have a 50 pound bag and about 4,000 square feet to spread it on.

Neal Wolbert
02-10-2005, 02:55 AM
NCL, You might want to talk to the folks at "In Harmony" (www.inharmony.com) in the Seattle area. They spray compost tea and a fulvic acid based chelated micro-nutrient product with excellent results. They also apply dry organic based products throughout the year. Neal

slib-q
02-13-2005, 07:29 PM
What's the going price on soy bean meal? Anyone finding it organically, if so how much more are you paying?
Anybody ever tried fertilizing with Okara-byproduct of soy milk process? It's wet when it's fresh, but I figure you could dry it so it's more easily spread.