PDA

View Full Version : Trailer almost completed

FrankenScagMachines
09-21-2004, 12:42 PM
it's not all done yet though, just mostly complete. I picked picked up the steel mesh cage for $20 from a buddy!!! We put the blowers in it and the 2 cycle mix can (don't take straight fuel just pull up to the pump with the trailer and mowers). so we can lock stuff up in it, thats handy. i finally got locks for everything- 4 locks keyed the same for the cage and trimmer rack (two on each) then a cable with a lock for the Lawn Boy.

Instead of building a tool and storage box on the front of the trailer i was even thinking about just making the front 6' of it enclosed (all in front of the side gate) like enclosed trailer type. With a side door to get in it and a big door facing the rear of the trailer. Or just make it go all the way to the rear side of the side gate, and make that side gate be the only door? You could lock it and have lots more storage space. Of course then the walk behind mowers would be in it but thats ok.... Hmm.... well it's somethign to think about. I probably won't do it anytime this year. Probably a winter project or something to do next spring before we start mowing, but for now it's very usable. I need to run the rails across the fenders to tie in the back and foward sections of the trailer- it sags too much in the back with weight on it, that would strengthen it alot. The brakes and lights work like a charm- i'm so pleased. So far i have hauled with it:
All the mowing equipment (mowed with it a few weeks now)
3 garden tractors and attachments for them plus some spare tires and wheels.
194? John Deere MT antique tractor (estimated weight by owner about 2500#).
1992 Honda Accord 4 door+1980 Cub Cadet 782 hydro 17hp garden tractor all in same trip.

It has handled all of this just fine. It is gobs of room for my regular mowing :)

Pic 1 shows the rear lights- it's got all the usual plus the 3 marker lights (for vehicles over 80" width), with a red reflector on each side of this marker light strip, backup lights with a backup alarm. I placed the taillights and backup lights up a couple feet on the gate, which puts them roughly 44" off the ground. This puts them where everyone can see them not just the guy directly behind you. It also has two sets of amber lights on each side- each set has a running light and a turn signal so two runners and two turns on each side, then it has amber reflectors in the middle of the sides too :) it is definately noticable at night :)

on the tongue- spare tire mount, mesh screen step to walk across the tongue or just to stand on to get higher for any given reason, safety breakaway box with batter charger, safety chains, 7 pin plug for all the electrical stuff. I did all the lights, wiring etc. myself on it also.

The last pic shows the trailer with the stuff on it but not the w/b and Lawn Boy.

fga
09-21-2004, 02:12 PM
nice work you do, really.
was just wondering what you (or anyone else with an open trailer) does with the equipment at the end of the day? do you have to uload everything and load it up everymorning? or back it into the garage? i've been looking for a trailer for awhile now, and can never make up my mind. i would hate the loading everyday in an open trailer. what do you do?

olderthandirt
09-21-2004, 02:34 PM
Just back the whole trailor and truck into the shop. Easy as can be, also I keep my theft deterent with it, and it ain't a taco bell dog LOL

Mac

fga
09-21-2004, 07:32 PM
Just back the whole trailor and truck into the shop. Easy as can be, also I keep my theft deterent with it, and it ain't a taco bell dog LOL

Mac
OTD,
you win a prize for being the 1,000,000 person to throw that at me! :laugh: my puppy doesn't have the bite, but surely has the bark... to let me know what's going on...

GrassBustersLawn
09-21-2004, 09:16 PM
ERiC

You know that big trailer DEFINITELY puts you into needing a DOT #, don't you? It doesn't cost anything to apply and get one, but making sure you comply with all the details is where the $ start adding up!

Mike

Eric 1
09-21-2004, 09:27 PM
That come out nice man.

But were you been the last 3 weeks or so...........working......na. :drinkup:

FrankenScagMachines
09-21-2004, 10:27 PM
yeah working lol...... i haven't done anything to the trailer in the last couple weeks really just using it. i had got it to this point but too busy to take pics and post.

65hoss
09-22-2004, 07:43 AM
Very nice work. I admire you willingness to tackle any project.

proenterprises
09-22-2004, 04:51 PM
congrats eric, looks like another fine project.

wriken
09-22-2004, 09:37 PM
Very nice work. I admire you willingness to tackle any project.

I could'nt have said it any better.

FrankenScagMachines
09-28-2004, 11:45 AM
Thank you guys. I have received so many compliments on this project, and it is so nice to be able to stretch out and have room for everything without being crammed into a tiny trailer.
Mike, you are right i do need to do that stuff. I am sure i could make time to get around to that stuff this winter. Thanks for bringing that up. When i get to it i may ask you for help.
Thanks,
Eric

SCAPEASAURUSREX
10-01-2004, 07:53 PM
I dont think the DOT # is dependant on trailer size ( at least for these types of trailers ) I think it has to do with where they are used, I'm a little rusty on the regs, but If I remember correctly you need them if you cross state lines with the commercial truck... I had to get them cause where I dumped was in the next state, only 10 min away but another state....:::????? anybody more current on the DOT regs shed any light on this one ???

SCAPEASAURUSREX
10-01-2004, 07:54 PM
PS... Trailer looks awsome..... good work

FrankenScagMachines
10-04-2004, 09:16 AM
thanks man!

Scotlawncare
10-04-2004, 10:04 AM
Eric,

you have done wonders with that little 110v welder. Keep up the creative juices you have flowing in your head. People are watching and i know they like what they see.

Keep up the good work and keep your creations coming out.

Scot

Itsgottobegreen
10-04-2004, 02:34 PM
I really got to get you over here to my shop. Man the stuff we could come up with. I wish I was snowing so I could buy a milling machine and hydraulic brake. Just imagine what we could do.

You keep impressing me. Reminds me of myself.

qualitylandscaping
10-04-2004, 10:09 PM
Sweet!!! If you gave me a frame for a trailer and said here go to work I would sit there dumbfounded.. Very impressive work man :waving:

FrankenScagMachines
10-05-2004, 11:20 PM
Thanks everyone!

its got to be green- yeah maybe someday we can get together. would be fun eh?!

lb59
03-01-2005, 08:18 AM
[QUOTE=FrankenScagMachines]

Pic 1 shows the rear lights- it's got all the usual plus the 3 marker lights (for vehicles over 80" width), with a red reflector on each side of this marker light strip, backup lights with a backup alarm. I placed the taillights and backup lights up a couple feet on the gate, which puts them roughly 44" off the ground. This puts them where everyone can see them not just the guy directly behind you. It also has two sets of amber lights on each side- each set has a running light and a turn signal so two runners and two turns on each side, then it has amber reflectors in the middle of the sides too :) it is definately noticable at night :)

QUOTE]
+++++++++++
But where's the third brake light ???

Itsgottobegreen
03-01-2005, 10:48 AM
Thanks everyone!

its got to be green- yeah maybe someday we can get together. would be fun eh?!

Let me know the next time you are headed out towards MD. I don't even want to think of the trouble the two of us could get into with nothing more than a welder/lathe/bunch of metal working tools/tool box/etc.