PDA

View Full Version : Rainbird ESP-6TM

RELIABLELAWNMAN
09-21-2004, 10:03 PM
Only 4 valves attached to the timer. When testing on manual, only valve #1 comes on if I use either stations 1 thru 6. Removed the timer and brought home and checked with a new solenoid hooked to station 1. I turned dial to station 6, and station 1 activated. Could a power surge have blown the computer board?

DGI
09-21-2004, 10:23 PM
Could a power surge have blown the computer board?

Yes. Could've gone bad for a number of reasons. If only one zone puts out power, it's time for a new one.

JimLewis
09-26-2004, 10:22 PM
Hmm. That's odd. If it were a ESP Modular Controller I might be able to tell you why that would be happening. But I can't think of any good reason for that to happen on a ESP TM model. I would take it back to my dealer and exchange it. That's definitely very odd.

Now I am assuming you've wired it correctly. You DO know what your doing in regards to wiring these, right?

Critical Care
09-28-2004, 01:05 AM
Umm... check to make sure you don't have #1 going to the master valve hookup instead. Often they are side by side on the terminal strip.

edukator
10-03-2004, 07:25 PM
Good day. i apologize if i have posted in an improper area but i need help. i have a Rainbird ESP-6TM controller. It was installed by contractors when the house was built and has worked great for 3-1/2 years. The other day, the station number and time showed on the display / time flashed as it always does, but none of the sprinklers in any of the stations came up. i tried to unplug / remove the battery for 2 minutes to reset, but it is doing the same (i.e., nothing). Any ideas of things i could try or what it could be? Thanks in advance for all of your help!!!!!!!

Critical Care
10-03-2004, 11:38 PM
Edukator, that sounds like it could be one of several things. Apparently the controller is doing everything as normal, but no water.

Since none of the zones work… can you manually turn the water on from the valves? Therefore, lets make sure you don’t have a water problem.

If you have water, then you may want to check to see if an overload fuse has been burned or a breaker has been flipped inside of the controller. Not sure what type of protection yours has... Also check to make sure that your ground wire going to your valves is still connected. And, if you have a voltmeter, you should be reading 24 volts between the ground terminal and whatever zone (terminal #) is on (flashing). If zone 1 is flashing, but you don’t read 24 volts between ground and the #1 terminal, then something’s up with the controller. If you do get 24 volts, then check the ground wire at your valves – or water, if you haven’t.

Not sure if this will help, but maybe a start.

dbielawski
10-04-2004, 09:02 AM
If you have a rain sensor check to ensure all wiring is intact.

DanaMac
10-04-2004, 09:46 AM
It is unusual that the ESP timer would stop working without something causing it like lightning. So more than likely, as the above posters said, it is probably a wiring problem, or a water problem. Check if the isolation valves on the backflow preventer are open or closed, and check if the valves will turn on manually. The valves usually have a little bleeder screw to operate or turning the electric solenoid will do the same.

Yeah, it could be a rain sensor as well. Did it rain recently?

Critical Care
10-04-2004, 10:45 PM
Do you guys know if there is any difference in the ESP's readout if a rain sensor is activated, or will the display look just as if everything is running normally when it really isn't? Seems as if there should be some sort of indication... Right?

dbielawski
10-05-2004, 10:13 AM
Display will read the same whether rain sensor is active or not.

edukator
10-05-2004, 04:36 PM
Thank you all for the help! i unexpectedly had to go out of town and will be in position to check some of this later this week. Thanks again and i will let y'all know what i find out!!

P.S. Living in Houston, we get periodic rain, however i do not recall a specific rainfall event before i noticed this problem. Talk to y'all later!!

gator1264
09-25-2008, 07:53 PM
Was just curious if this thread could be opened again and someone was willing to help me. I am having some problems along the same lines as "Edukator" had. According to my wife the sprinkler system supposedly worked fine about a year ago (before we got married) and when I went to start it the other day I got nothing. I am pretty sure the control box is working ok. It goes through all the different modes and such fine, I just get no water. I have removed the fuse and battery, and even flipped the circuit breaker in the house. I also know there is water pressure as I tested the bleeder screw. So I am kind of working towards the steps listed below by Critical Care...

If you have water, then you may want to check to see if an overload fuse has been burned or a breaker has been flipped inside of the controller. Not sure what type of protection yours has... Also check to make sure that your ground wire going to your valves is still connected. And, if you have a voltmeter, you should be reading 24 volts between the ground terminal and whatever zone (terminal #) is on (flashing). If zone 1 is flashing, but you don’t read 24 volts between ground and the #1 terminal, then something’s up with the controller. If you do get 24 volts, then check the ground wire at your valves – or water, if you haven’t.

So my question is, Is the voltmeter part of the controller or is that something separate I need to get to test the volts?

Also, there was mention in the thread that maybe the rain sensor could cause issues? Could that be it, and if I were to just disconnect it will that effect the controller?

Thanks for any insight.

Mike Leary
09-25-2008, 08:05 PM
I am pretty sure the control box is working ok.
Is the voltmeter part of the controller or is that something separate

Someone shoot me.:gunsfirin:wall:wall

greenmonster304
09-25-2008, 10:21 PM
come on now, I am sure there was time in your life that you didn't know what a volt meter was and he's not being cocky like jbell36 from the blow out thread.*trucewhiteflag*

Wet_Boots
09-25-2008, 10:58 PM
Hey, you can buy a digital voltmeter from Harbor Freight for three bucks.

Waterit
09-25-2008, 11:07 PM
Was just curious if this thread could be opened again and someone was willing to help me. I am having some problems along the same lines as "Edukator" had. According to my wife the sprinkler system supposedly worked fine about a year ago (before we got married) and when I went to start it the other day I got nothing. I am pretty sure the control box is working ok. It goes through all the different modes and such fine, I just get no water. I have removed the fuse and battery, and even flipped the circuit breaker in the house. I also know there is water pressure as I tested the bleeder screw. So I am kind of working towards the steps listed below by Critical Care...

So my question is, Is the voltmeter part of the controller or is that something separate I need to get to test the volts?

Also, there was mention in the thread that maybe the rain sensor could cause issues? Could that be it, and if I were to just disconnect it will that effect the controller?

Thanks for any insight.

Your best bet is to post this in the Homeowner Assistance forum - or call a local licensed professional and swallow a service call in exchange for some knowledge.

Mike Leary
09-25-2008, 11:12 PM
Your best bet is to post this in the Homeowner Assistance forum - or call a local licensed professional and swallow a service call in exchange for some knowledge.

Words of wisdom. :rolleyes:

DanaMac
09-26-2008, 08:28 AM
Gator, a volt meter is a separate troubleshooting tool. Different one can read amps, volts, ohms, etc. for troubleshooting electrical systems. Unfortunately it is difficult to explain over the internet how to use these tools properly.

Critical Care
09-29-2008, 04:36 PM
A voltmeter reads potential (voltage), an ammeter reads current (amperage), and ohmmeter reads resistance in ohms. Most of us carry around multimeters, which do all of the above.

Having a controller with an internal diagnostic tool which displays resistance, current drain, and voltage across any selected zone would be kinda neat.

Mike Leary
09-29-2008, 04:45 PM
Having a controller with an internal diagnostic tool which displays resistance, current drain, and voltage across any selected zone would be kinda neat.
Sure would; our Rain Master measures & displays current in real time and enables us to
run "auto-limits" to keep a historical record of solenoid age.

Wet_Boots
09-29-2008, 05:21 PM
And for the price of one Rainmaster, you can buy a hundred VOMs, give or take.

Mike Leary
09-29-2008, 05:34 PM

Yup, let's not forget flow sensing, high & low. With Central System, don't
even have to go to the site.

Mike Leary
09-29-2008, 05:35 PM

Yup, let's not forget flow sensing, high & low. With Central System, don't
even have to go to the site to know what's going on.