PDA

View Full Version : extending a trailer?

Stringblade
09-22-2004, 06:49 PM
i am thinking about extending my trailer currently i have a 5/10 with a tail gate its an all steel trailer with wood on the bottom talked to a guy about cutting the tail off welding a 4 foot extention and adding another axel

has anyone done this? do you think its a good idea?

ealbertson
09-22-2004, 07:59 PM
Stringblade, I have built several trailers but I haven't ever extended one. One thing that would concern me is how heavy the frame is. Most ten foot or so trailers are designed to carry far less weight than a dual axle 14 foot trailer. This isn't to say that you can't beef up the frame by adding a pipe or square stock to the top rail. This is only a thought though. The frame may be plenty strong enough. It's just some trailers I have seen that use only light angle iron for the frame wouldn't hold up to good. I hope this helps.

Mdirrigation
09-22-2004, 08:05 PM
You would be better off selling the one you have and buying a new one.

grass_cuttin_fool
09-22-2004, 08:50 PM
Also instead of adding an axle, you probably need 2 new axles with an equaliser between them, im not sure if you could add it or if the axles are special made for it. The equaliser allows the axles to stay in contact with the road when crossing dips and such. with 2 solid axles you are going to have 1 axle off the ground at times and this can get you hung up when crossing streets and entering driveways

fourseasonlawns
10-01-2004, 01:15 AM
better off selling and buying again.
way too many factors to consider.
#1 is the original frame strong enough?
an original 3000lb carrying capacity to over 6000 lb carrying capacity.
#2 is the original axle in the correct placement to distribute the weight load appropriately? In addition to adding a second axle, will you have to move the original axle?
#3 a lot changes, from the size of tires, to safety chains, to even the ball size sometimes. Also, what about tags and registration?
LAST, what happens if you get rear ended by another vehicle?

I think it would be cheaper and safer to buy the size you need.