PDA

View Full Version : Running pipe, which would be easier??

CRUZMISL
09-23-2004, 10:03 AM
I need to add 3 more zones. I essentially have to take some heads off of some zones and add them to the new ones in order to get adequate flow from the pipe that supplies my house. I'm over 10GPM on some zones and while the sprinklers work I think I could get better coverage if I were able to bring it closer to 7GPM (3/4 inch copper supply).

I have to run about 200ft of poly pipe. I could dig by hand and try to avoid the existing lines but that would take hours in a hard clay soil. Alternatively, I could rent a trencher and make quick work of the trench but then I would have to go back and repair all the existing poly I severed. What would be the best approach? Also, I was thinking about renting a sod cutter too, that way I don't have to try and cobble pieces of sod together when I'm done.

Any thoughts?
Thanks,
JOE

TClawn
09-23-2004, 06:03 PM
I would rent the trencher and be done with it.

It all depends on what you prefer doing. do you prefer slogging away with a pick and shovel or fixing pipes? in my opinion it's much easier to repair a pipe than to dig by hand and even then you have the risk of of smashing in to it with your pick or shovel.

DGI
09-23-2004, 08:51 PM
I'd try to find a plow to rent. I do this kind of stuff all of the time and have no problem going back after and fixing up what is broken.

SprinklerGuy
09-24-2004, 09:58 AM
once you dig up the zone lateral line in the area where you intend to attach the new zone to it and split in half....you will know about where that pipe runs right? You can probably avoid it easier than you think.

Good luck.