PDA

View Full Version : Help pls Trimming Holly Bushes, Chickpea

slamdunk
09-23-2004, 03:23 PM
I have 3 holly bushes approx 30 yrs old, 15 feet height. They are situated on a steep slope and trimming them is a real pain. I would like to trim them down to manageable size so that I don't have to balance on ladder etc. but don't know what damage I'd do if I took off, say, 7 - 8 feet off top. In other words I want to butcher them.
Would they come back the next year, two years etc.
Any helpful suggestions would be welcome.

2nd question
What is the best way/product to get rid of Chickpea weed?? Tired of handpulling.

Coffeecraver
09-23-2004, 09:59 PM
The only answer at this point is to tree form them,make it so you can walk under them and let the rest go.

7-8 feet off the top will greatly damage them

slamdunk
09-24-2004, 08:38 PM
Thanks Norm, will consider that.

Rollacosta
10-19-2004, 06:58 PM
question is imo what do you want out of the trees a nice rounded pom-pom shape ie the topiary [trimmed ,fancy,] look or do you want nice conical shaped tree's ,you have already said you trimmed them on a regular basis so i guess you want the trimmed look...personaly i would have no problems with taking 5-6 feet off and making the trees fit your environment ,i wouldn't recommend this on any other trees other than hedge /easy to topiary [trim] species...certainly do not do this to deciduous trees

Rollacosta
10-19-2004, 07:01 PM
oh and by the way the trees will re-grow beleive me...i have worked on hundreds of holly trees...the UK is full of them in all shapes and sizes

trying 2b organic
10-29-2004, 10:27 PM
Can you power prune holly or is it true that you have to hand prune them?

BCSteel
10-29-2004, 10:32 PM
Hedge trimmers all the way for me.

I would also just knock off as much as you want off the top. They are a hardy tree and should be able to take it no problem.