PDA

View Full Version : Anyone try this?

Up North
09-23-2004, 03:28 PM
Here's what I'm thinking...I'm going to do a doorhanger that's printed on both sides, one side will have my company info for mowing, pruning, etc. and on the other side I'm going to have 2 other local businesses advertise. One business is an account of mine that is a local resturant, and the other business is my Snapper dealer. Both of these businesses are heavy into advertising and marketing and both like the idea of sharing the cost. The doorhanger would be put out sometime after Christmas/New Years then at least once again before the mowing season starts.

My question is this, has anyone done a flyer or doorhanger with multiple ads on it? And if so, would you do it again? If you wouldn't do it again why? Do any of you guys/gals see a pitfall with doing this? Advantages I see are less costs per businesss and more doorhangers can be purchased for multiple campaigns. One downside I see with my dealer being on it is someone may buy a new mower vs. hiring me to do the mowing, but how many times could that happen??

Anyway, let me know your thoughts, opinions. Thanks!

Buck

tonygreek
09-23-2004, 03:50 PM
Buck, I think that's a great idea. With my exterior remodeling company, I have always initiated co-branding efforts with possible related partner companies. If it's something we don't do, and it's related to household work, I've put together a folder that includes how-to maintenance tips and brochures or biz cards of electricians, roofers, etc. The other companies reciprocate with the same. It's worked well, and if you've done a good job for them, more often than not, they'll take your word on recommendations. Also, be sure that all costs are divided up, such as distribution. I would also echo your concern of having a mower retailer on your card. Howabout an applications company if you don't provide this? Local replacement window/siding companies. Oil change shops, etc. (Actually, if someone pays to have their lawn mowed, odds are they are apt to pay for other services. Tell this to the oil change shop owners.)

I always go through the extra effort of building relationships with my customers, so the trust level is typically higher that it would be if I simply sold them, had a crew install and collect the money and run. Since my remodeling margins are higher, and if I've gotten to know them as well as I'd like, I'll usually purchase a thank you gift that suits their lifestyle or interests. Ie, if I see a wine cellar or fridge, I'll pick out a wine I know something about and write a note of thanks and insight as to why I chose it. Things like this need not be expensive, but the difference can be striking between you and a possible competitor.

Sorry for the tangent, but the gist of it is that everyone should aim to have their recommendations carry weight.

Tony,
Dayton Ohio

Up North
09-24-2004, 12:13 AM
Yeah Tony I agree about not having the dealer on it. I'm not sure I'd lose much business because of it, but at this stage of my business not sure I want to take that risk. Thanks for your feedback.

Buck

Team Gopher
09-24-2004, 02:49 PM
Hi Up North,

That sounds like a good idea. A good way to build a working relationship with your local dealer as well.