PDA

View Full Version : If you could...

Team Gopher
09-27-2004, 01:05 PM
If you could start your business over again from scratch, what would you do differently this time?

meathead1134
09-27-2004, 08:52 PM
I would have started earlier age.

polecat63
09-27-2004, 09:14 PM
Done it right. Biz plan, bank loan, the whole nine yards. Didn't know it was going to be a carrer when I started, though. Guess I could still start over.

LwnmwrMan22
09-27-2004, 09:15 PM
Nothing.

16 years ago, there wasn't a "Lawnsite" site. No one really to talk to around here about work.

Just trial and error mostly.

J&R
09-27-2004, 09:17 PM
I would not start in this again. There are so many in this now bring down the price of lawn care. Because the cost of running a company keeps goin up from payroll ,tax and insurance it's not worth it.

olderthandirt
09-27-2004, 09:40 PM
Expand as fast as I could, and then expand some more. I could have been the only one or two in the state if I had kept expanding putting the new guys out of biz as soon as they popped up.

Mac

Team Gopher
09-29-2004, 01:16 PM
"ryry" said "im fine the way im in got my new trailer then got rid of my toyota and bought a brand spaking new f-150 herritage going to get the 32 or 36 in mower next year pretty much have everything to start wih the reason why is i live with my parents and thats always a plus!!"

Stuttering Stan
09-30-2004, 08:12 PM
Controlled my growth. I grew to fast and got burned out over labor and profit margins. Also I was too young(19-20) and didn't understsnd the concept of business and money. Now I am part-time solo and much happier and smarter

SodKing
09-30-2004, 08:25 PM
I would have started a coffee shop!

fourseasonlawns
10-01-2004, 12:39 AM
buy the biggest and best of everything.
Anything from your weed-eater, edger and blower, to your truck and trailer.
the only thing biggest doesn't apply to, is your mower. but you better buy the best.
spend the money now, or spend it later in labor or repairs/replacement.

Team Gopher
10-01-2004, 02:13 PM
Glan said "Not a thing

On the personal side..........I would do things different."

jwholden
10-11-2004, 01:54 AM
I would have been more selective in who I worked for and charged more for my services. If a customer doesn't want to hire me because my price is too high walk away and don't negotiate my price.

Team Gopher
10-11-2004, 07:57 PM
Allseasonturf said "There is a great deal of truth in what most everyone in here is saying, and I might add that what I am doing now to best myself is diverse my business into many different areas of expertise, such as low voltage outdoor lighting, deck repair and installs, flagstone and retaining wall installs, and most recently i'm getting ready to go back into installing satellite TV. Man I was so lucky to have the insight to learn as much as I could about as many feilds as I could. I'm able to fix or repair almost anything,you name it i fix it. Haveing knowledge is about my best attribute and knowing how to apply it is my next best."