PDA

View Full Version : stump painting

AthensAndy
09-28-2004, 01:56 PM
Hello. New here.
In the past I have cut unwanted trees at the base and painted the stumps with glyphosate to get rid of them. What is the latest alternative? Is 10% vinegar strong enough?
Any help is appreciated. Andy

Garden Panzer
10-02-2004, 07:35 PM
Where I live trees flourish....
After a logging op, no matter how small or big, we paint the stump with RoundUp/TriMec
I don't know of any ORGANIC way to deal with resprouts....
I'd like to learn, as fire don't work!
:cool:

Tscape
10-10-2004, 07:53 PM
The ONLY way you are going to get rid of a stump is to grind it out or use dynamite!

ScCo
10-11-2004, 12:48 AM
grind it down far enough where you can topsoil and seed over it...only way I know of to get rid of it.

had three stumps on my own property that had to be done that way this weekend.

yardmonkey
11-29-2004, 06:01 PM
I think Triclopyr may be a more appropriate chemical for stumps.
I used to use a lot of it on 1-2" stumps from chopping off tree sprouts.
Now I try to remove them using a Weedwrench. This is a COOL tool!
http://www.weedwrench.com
I have the medium size and have pulled hundreds of tree sprouts with it.
WAY easier than digging out with a shovel.
One thing about Triclopyr - it is not good to get it in your eyes.
Like glyphosate, I think it is supposed to break down in the soil before too long. So maybe not one of the worst chemicals to use - but then there is the danger to the applicator - you don't want to go blind. I would use a small round paint brush to apply it.

Hamons
11-29-2004, 07:55 PM
That weed wrench hurts whenit gets in your eye also I bet :)

yardmonkey
11-29-2004, 08:20 PM
Well I haven't managed to get that thing in my eye - but it is a big ol' heavy metal tool and it is possible to get hurt with it. But really it is one of my very favorite tools. I used to wear myself out digging out small trees and I never liked using chemicals and leaving unsightly stumps behind. If you don't have a weed wrench - get one!

Its funny how so many yards have weed trees growing all around the edges, along fences where people have neglected to weedeat and the mower can't get them. I've made some money cleaning up big messes along fencelines....

Hamons
11-29-2004, 09:13 PM
Looks like a decent product that I would be interested in.

I have not ever gotten herbicides in my eye either -- so thankfully my eyesight is safe both ways :)