PDA

View Full Version : Input on logo

R and R Lawn Services
09-28-2004, 07:49 PM
Sorry we haven't formally introduced our company. We have been searching lawnsite and appreciate all of the helpful information that members provide. We would like to have your honest input on a logo design that we are thinking about using. Our names will be on the final as well as L.L.C. Thanks for your suggestions.
Randy and Rodney
R & R Lawn Service, L.L.C.

Norm Al
09-28-2004, 07:51 PM
not good start over! if you are doing this yourself get some help through marketing books!

im being honest so as to help you not to criticize you!

dcondon
09-28-2004, 07:54 PM
looks nice to me :waving:

fga
09-28-2004, 08:23 PM
not good start over! if you are doing this yourself get some help through marketing books!

im being honest so as to help you not to criticize you!
Norm,
what's wrong with it? I like the way it goes with the curves of the land. do you not like the imaging? or the wording? colors? If you're going to be an "honest critic", atleast tell him WHAT IT IS you don't like...

R & R, i think it looks great. good job.

JimLewis
09-28-2004, 08:32 PM
Is that a business card or a logo?

Anyway, it strikes me as just being mediocre. It doesn't stand out as anything overly impressive. I guess it depends on your goals. If your goal is to be the most professional looking outfit in town, you need to re-think your logo and card. But if your goal is to just have a card that works and looks presentable, then what you've done is fine. It's functional and looks better than many I've seen. I'll say that much.

tonygreek
09-29-2004, 09:02 AM
Jim,

If I could add to what Norm was apparently trying to convey... ;)

One thing to keep in mind is your budget for printing. Specifically, the more colors you have, the higher the price. From a standard printing shop you will pay significantly more for a 2nd or 3rd color. Check online and you'll find a couple of very good 4 color (like a magazine page) printers that are very reasonable. You can have as many colors as you want through this process. 48hourprint.com and printingforless.com are two that I've had great experiences with.

If you plan on having this logo done on vehicle signage, be sure that your 2 different shades of green could be counted as one "spot" color. Printing can get a bit technical, so ask your printer or sign guy for guidance with this aspect.

As for my thoughts on your logo, I think it could use a little revision. I'll assume that's actually a mock-up of your biz card, but if you strip out the services list, you'll be left with your core logo. The problem you could run into with this is that the logo is very horizontal (wide). Once you try to apply this into various mediums, such as signage, you will run into trouble. If you were using this on your truck door, to get it to fit, it will end up being a lot smaller than if it was more compact. Smaller means less visable. The same would apply to yard signs. As a thought, howabout bringing it all in by bring "Lawn Service" underneath the R&R, shrink the tree, and bring it over next to the R&R and on top of the letters of "Lawn Service" that will stick past the R&R? All of this is from the experience of having a logo for my replacement window company that was too wide. It wasn't freakishly wide, just a bit too wide. The problem came with my yard signs needing to be wider, which means more expense, and it still wasn't as visible from the street as I wanted.

P.S. - The image you posted is a .jpeg/.jpg These formats are for photographic-type pics and not for flat colors. The .gif format will be smaller in file size and look 1,000 times better. None of these is of a quality that you would send a printer as they are primarily for the online world.

If you want any clarifications, just yell or if you want recommendations of on-line logo designers, just pm me.

Tony,
Dayton, Ohio

Norm Al
09-29-2004, 09:24 AM
several things and you guys hit on some of them already!

1) your name says what you do....R&R---->lawn service<--- so people know that you "do lawns"

2) instead of stating what you do as you have in the first 4 sentances------state what you do BETTER than your competition! such as: R&R Lawn Service "more than just mowing" or "no excuses" or "we put SERVICE back into maintenance"

3) the logo is upside down-----you want the consumer to know its R&R Lawn service first when he reads your logo,,,,,,,then what it is you do!

4) simplicity in design and wording is what will allow people to read your message: such as McDonalds: 3 billion served

automaticly you would think WOW if they served 3 billion people,,,,,they must be good! simple, effective and subliminal!

those are some of the reasons why i said start over and think about what it is your producing! your a lawn man now trying to be a marketing man! remember if you want to do your own marketing you will have to be schooled about what is good marketing. and awesome book to learn from is "Meaningful Marketing" by Doug Hall!

tonygreek
09-29-2004, 09:34 AM
Norm, great response. I'd recommend the Doug Hall books to everyone. Jump Start Your Business Brain is also terrific. With one of my old jobs, I was able to go to his Eureka! Ranch for a brainstorming session. He's one impressive guy and the books impart some of that wisdom.

Tony

Team Gopher
09-29-2004, 11:09 AM
Hi R and R Lawn Services,

I think your card and logo look fine.

Here is a gallery of a couple hundred green industry logo designs (http://www.gophergraphics.com/index.cgi?page=artists). Maybe they will inspire you with more ideas.