PDA

View Full Version : The first years

Smalltimer1
09-28-2004, 11:05 PM
Well as most of you know, I'm 18 years old, and in college. I've been doing small jobs (hence my handle--smalltimer) since I was 12 years old.

I guess my humble beginnings would go back to when I was 5 years old. I was at my grandfather's house, watching him mow and trim. I asked him if he would teach me how to drive the mower. He did, and I would drive for hours on end on that old Craftsman 10/36 in 1st gear, thought I was king of the yard. Then he gradually he showed me how to mow with it, and then how to drive it in higher gears and mow. I guess I was about 7 when I mastered that Craftsman tractor. He then bought a new one, and I ran that one then too. Then my father showed me how to use our old '77 Montgomery Ward 11/38, and I was unstoppable in our yard with it. Finally, my other grandfather got me on his John Deere 180, and I mowed 5 acres with it, I guess I was 9 years old then. I just kept mowing the yard at home and at pop's and when I was 12, that old Montgomery Ward died.

We bought a Honda HT-3810 then, I used it for a year, then the starter died, cost $500 to replace, so then we bought a brand new John Deere GT-235 and sold the Honda when I was 14. I used that at home for about 2 years, then my next door neighbor went blind. So I began mowing his yard, and he'd give me $100 for every 3 times I'd mow it.

Then I got into the repair aspect. I resurrected his old walk behind blower that had sat for 8 years. Then people started giving me their old or dead equipment. I brought back a John Deere 83G trimmer from the dead and used it for about 6 months before it was gone for good. Then I picked up a couple of other neighbors' yards and did them over summer breaks.

Then I started getting more and more repair stuff as well. Finally when I turned 16, I got my driver's license and I had saved up enough from mowing and repairing to pay for a good chunk of my F-250 and my folks picked up the rest. Then I was able to expand my area some. I got a couple other yards and did them. Finally, during the summer between Junior and Senior year in HS, ('03), I hit a gold mine. I went to the dump, and found about 15 Murray and MTD pushmowers about to receive the ultimate fate :p , I pulled them out, and made 3 trips in my pickup to save them all. One by one, I examined them, and there was not much wrong with any of them, and gradually I changed plugs in them, or cleaned the carbs out, put fresh gas in them, and one by one, I got them running, and sold them for $20 a piece.

Then about a week later, I went to the other local dump, and found 3 more, and 2 engines. Put the 2 engines in 2 decks I had, got them going, sold them for $15 a piece, and then 2 of the 3 complete ones I was able to get running, the last one I stripped parts from.

Then I got a Simplicity 4211 and I fixed it up, used it for about 10 months, then sold it. Then I took the money and 2 months later, bought a 1969 John Deere 140 Garden Tractor. I'm planning to restore it. I got it running about 3 weeks after I got it. Then I had to replace the axle seal and it's still on blocks right now, because I've been so busy. Anyway, ever since I've been in college, I ain't had much time to do much yard work or repair stuff.

Hope I wasn't too long winded.

Wreak
09-28-2004, 11:56 PM
That's awesome. You could either make a country and western song out of this or a movie. Either way, it sound like one of these days you might just design and build your own customer mower and become the found of a new company like Exmark or Toro.

Never know. payup