PDA

View Full Version : Shelf Like of Compost

pryker
09-29-2004, 08:17 AM
I have an opportunity to get some good compost extremely cheap!! I want to get approx 20 yards for use next spring and through summer. I have a large yard (almost 4 acres) and I have a place to dump it.... however, If I get it now and place it in a large pile how long will I be able to keep it in this pile? Can I store it over winter in a pile without any effect to it's organic makeup? Anything I should do to protect it like cover it with plastic? Will weeds start growing in it over winter?

Thanks

Phil

pryker
10-02-2004, 04:46 PM
Anyone at all??

Island Lawn
10-11-2004, 02:20 PM
It should be fine.

Put it in a big pile.

I wouldn't cover it with plastic.

You could "till in" any weeds that come up before they go to seed, but that can get labor intensive...

Garden Panzer
10-11-2004, 05:01 PM
I would dump it on tarps and cover it so rain doesn't wash away your soil structure.....I do this with sandy loam each year..... it's cheap to buy in the "off-season"
:drinkup:

Dchall_San_Antonio
10-13-2004, 02:33 AM
As long as you don't cut off all air to it, just about anything you do will protect its quality until spring. I know people who put their compost into Rubbermaid bins to grow special fungus on it prior to making compost tea. They aren't doing that with 20 yards, but you get the idea.