PDA

View Full Version : crazy or not?

sanfordandsonfan
10-01-2004, 07:07 PM
A guy I know is giving me a 1969 F-350 (360 motor). The truck used to be a dump, but he has taken the hoist and the bed off. The price is perfect and I do get bored in the winter. The condition is rough. It does run, but thats about it. Would some of you guys take on this project, spend a bit of money and get this beast on the road. I would put a stakebed back on it, and use it to haul brush, mulch etc.... Anybody else crazy enough for this project?

youngdude
10-01-2004, 08:08 PM
Do you really want to be seen in that POS throwing mulch out the back of it???

Fishin LCO
10-01-2004, 08:15 PM
Get it running well and paint it and you will have a great truck!!!

WeatherMan
10-01-2004, 08:27 PM
I have several of old trucks that have been winter projects. Here a pic of last winters project

WeatherMan
10-01-2004, 08:29 PM
Sorry it's a 1950 ford stake bed

sanfordandsonfan
10-01-2004, 09:18 PM
That is a great looking truck. I am looking forward to the challenge. The thing I guess I like best about the truck is it is actually something I can work on. Very basic engine wise and I'm pretty good with body work. Thanks for the posts.

Randy J
10-01-2004, 09:45 PM
Nice truck weatherman!

Frank2
10-01-2004, 11:23 PM

that's hillarious!

sanfordandsonfan
10-01-2004, 11:38 PM
Actually that is rather funny. To think that a customer actually might care if you are in an old 69 or a 2004. I have been in business a few years, and when I get a request for mulch, nobody has ever said to bring it in a nice looking truck. Anyway's thinks for the comments.

fga
10-01-2004, 11:42 PM
what a stupid thing to say. what are you driving at 16? (that you paid for yourself)?? a huffy? or a skateboard?

older trucks like that look awesome when you put them together and give them a paint job. don't let any "wet behind the ear" young dude tell you different.

here's apic of my '84 that some would say is old. i keep it nice and get complimented al the time.

youngdude
10-02-2004, 02:17 PM
Who cares that i am 16, do i have to be older to have an opion. And I am not driving around some Huffy, I also have been at this awile so i saved my money and baught a '95 Ford F-150.

MikesLawnServiceLLC
10-02-2004, 03:00 PM
Listen, youngdude. I'm not much older than you, but I've rebuilt and restored several older trucks that haul, tow, and look a heck of a lot nicer than a 1995 F-150 who's GVW is exceeded by most of the trailers I've had. That 1969 F350, which you could almost totally restore from the ground up for 5K or less, will outhaul, outrun, outserve, and outlive a 1995 F-150. The 360 motor is a venerable member of the ford FE series engines, and has been proven to give years of dependable service. Parts are very cheap for that truck, and the engine can be rebuilt several times....each time with over 150 to 200 thousand miles between rebuilds. The cylinder walls are thick and can be bored to approximately .060 inches over safely....leaves a lot of room for rebuilds. The NP435 four speed granny low transmission should be dependable even if you let the clutch fly off the floor with 2 tons of gravel in the bed.
There is much more to be said for someone taking pride in fixing something the right way, the first time, for years of moneymaking and enjoyment than someone who buys something from money he saves (from where?), and insults the person willing to take on a project such as this. It is fine to have nice new trucks maintained by a dealer, or a nice already finished used truck. But don't bash something you haven't seen, don't know anything about, and do not have the foggiest idea how to restore or maintain.

-That is my rant. Enjoy, fellas. I hope I voiced some opinions of those who are remaining silent as well.

Dwan
10-02-2004, 03:11 PM
Older trucks on the job that are in good shape make a statement as long as they are clean, good paint and look sharp. They will turn a head a lot faster then most new ones. Advertising on one will be noticed and make more of an impression. Also if you do advertise on it it helps when you write it off. It shows you have pride in your work. It can strike up a conversation with a neighbor leading to more work.

So do it. give it a nice eye caching paint job, nice wheels, tires, and maybe some pen striping, flames, hair paint, lace panels, endless lines, candy overtones, and 27 coats of lacer. Oops getting carried away here Just kidding!

Frank2
10-02-2004, 05:50 PM
There is much more to be said for someone taking pride in fixing something the right way, the first time, for years of moneymaking and enjoyment than someone who buys something from money he saves (from where?), and insults the person willing to take on a project such as this. It is fine to have nice new trucks maintained by a dealer, or a nice already finished used truck. But don't bash something you haven't seen, don't know anything about, and do not have the foggiest idea how to restore or maintain.

I sure as hell don't think he was trying to insult anyone. He probally got the same picture in his head that I did when he read the post. He made a comment and it was funny. period. You're a stiff if you didn't get a laugh out of it.

fga
10-02-2004, 07:00 PM
I sure as hell don't think he was trying to insult anyone. He probally got the same picture in his head that I did when he read the post. He made a comment and it was funny. period. You're a stiff if you didn't get a laugh out of it.
calling the guys truck he wants to buy a POS isn't trying to insult his decison? if you have to make "comments" like that, then he just shut his mouth and not say anything.

and Youngdude,
do you have to be older then 16 to have an opinion? no, but to make an educated, "experienced" opinion.... YES.
talk to me when your done with puberty.

fga
10-02-2004, 07:01 PM
Older trucks on the job that are in good shape make a statement as long as they are clean, good paint and look sharp. They will turn a head a lot faster then most new ones. Advertising on one will be noticed and make more of an impression. Also if you do advertise on it it helps when you write it off. It shows you have pride in your work. It can strike up a conversation with a neighbor leading to more work.

So do it. give it a nice eye caching paint job, nice wheels, tires, and maybe some pen striping, flames, hair paint, lace panels, endless lines, candy overtones, and 27 coats of lacer. Oops getting carried away here Just kidding!
dwan,
i agree totally. good point about the striking up a conversation idea..

youngdude
10-02-2004, 08:54 PM
Ouch, that hurts.....People need to lighten up, dont take everything so serious all the time.

fga
10-02-2004, 09:15 PM
Ouch, that hurts.....People need to lighten up, dont take everything so serious all the time.
listen, i started my business with almost no money in my pocket. at the time i didn't have money to buy a nice truck, i had to find a beater, and make it look great myself, with fixing it up late into the night. i worked with what i had, and step up my trucks all the time. every couple of years my trucks get nicer and better. Even though i've been humbled by the route i went, i see guys struggling doing the same thing. (not saying that's his situation, i don't know), but i would have been pissed if you came up to me at that time and called my truck a POS. cause i knew i was working with what i had.. didn't mean to jump down your throat, just hate seeing people get knocked for not having something shiny and new.

sanfordandsonfan
10-03-2004, 10:13 AM
So all the fans of shiny new trucks can rest easy, I do own a 2004 F-250 4x4. This project truck of mine just fell in my lap, and I didnt know if it would be worth spending the money and the time. The crazy thing is, I am more excited about the possibilities of a 69 Ford in my fleet than a 2004. Thanks everyone for the posts, and good luck with all your future projects.

Smalltimer1
10-03-2004, 10:26 AM
A 1969 F-350 is RARE! Is it a Custom or a Ranger? Give that truck a good home and a second chance at life! The 67-72 Fords are some of the best looking (& toughest) trucks ever made in my opinion. Driving a working classic is cool! There's a '68 F-100 Ranger up the street I'm thinking about getting to restore over next summer. I bet $250 + a free mow would take it off his hands. And the fenders bolt on, so changing body panels will be easy. Get a set of chrome wheels and dress it up, however you use it. A good coat of red would look great on that truck.

Dwan
10-03-2004, 04:50 PM
Will you do us all a favor and post some before and after pictures?

Evan528
10-03-2004, 06:10 PM
I understand what young dude is saying. I would be a little bit weary if someone I hired to do work at my home pulled up in a 35 year old truck. Dosnt exactly scream sucessful to me.......my next thought would be what is he not doing right that he cant afford a more up to date vehicle. It must be a thing with us younger generation...... I just dont have a thing for older vehicles of any kind.

youngdude
10-03-2004, 06:43 PM
Evan528, someone who finally gets where I am coming from!!!

fga
10-03-2004, 08:27 PM
I understand what young dude is saying. I would be a little bit weary if someone I hired to do work at my home pulled up in a 35 year old truck. Dosnt exactly scream sucessful to me.......my next thought would be what is he not doing right that he cant afford a more up to date vehicle. .
or........ when they see a 40,000 truck with lawnmowers on it, they assume they will be paying for that truck. :rolleyes:

or.. they will say, "damn, that guy takes care of that old truck that good, he shouldn't have a problem with my perrenial rye." :)

DLCS
10-03-2004, 10:07 PM
Just because you have alot of money rapped up in equipment, doesn't always mean your successful.

Evan528
10-03-2004, 10:15 PM
Honestly, I do have a $40,000 truck although it is not the one I use for daily work. For daily work I use a 93 chevy 3500 crew cab. My 03 Ram I use for estimates, appointments and personal use. I feel that it gives a good first impression for me to pull up to a prospective clients property in a late model nice vehicle wearing nice clothes and a company polo shirt. It lets them know that I am a professional at what I do and make a respectable income doing it. In other words I am more at there level and not just a discount mow and go company. I do not claim to be the cheapest and If a client feels as if they do not want to hire me because its apparent I make a decent salary then its probly not a client I want.

My point is that first impressions mean alot.....and im not saying it right but upper class clients probly do frown upon a so called "professional" who looks as if they cant even afford up to date equipment.

youngdude
10-03-2004, 10:44 PM
Well said Evan528. With the rebates you are getting on the Dodges, well atleast around here, how did you spend 40,000 grand on one.

Evan528
10-03-2004, 10:52 PM
Its a 03 ram 3500 diesel crew cab very well equiped. The sticker was a little under $41,000 and I think I paid around $37,000 in the end. At the time I bought it they were a rare find in diesel around here and didnt last on the lot long. I had to have mine shipped in from an ajoining state therefore they were not as willing to give killer deals. Is kind of sickening what trucks cost these days.

Smalltimer1
10-03-2004, 11:03 PM
That '69 F-350 will outwork any new truck of the same capacity. The older ones were built with a higher tolerance of overloading. By the way, they won't dent if you lean against them like a new one will. I'm 18 years old. Old trucks are cool, and they can do just as much work as the new ones can. I'd be more willing to scratch up an old truck than a new one.

Sure you roll up there in your new Ram, and you run into it with a riding mower. Oh yeah you'll wish it was your grandpa's old truck.

fga
10-03-2004, 11:21 PM
My point is that first impressions mean alot.....and im not saying it right but upper class clients probly do frown upon a so called "professional" who looks as if they cant even afford up to date equipment.

so, a beautiful restored, great paint and operating truck doesn't look professional? i think it would make you stand out from everyone else, and show you put effort into your work and appearance.
anyone with a few dollars can but a new truck.. it takes alittle more gut and passion to to take the other route.

we're just talking about appearance in this thread.. imagine if we got into overhead differences? I spent $3000 on my dump, plus about 3 - 400 to make it look even better. I pay liabilty insurance on it, not full coverage. if something happens to break on it, i fix it myself because there's no computers involved. compare the difference in monthly payments, and higher insurance costs, to a paid off, great looking older truck. its just a smarter business move in my opinion..

Evan528
10-03-2004, 11:47 PM
Too each his own.

But to me a mullet hair style is still outdated and old fashioned no matter how shiny and clean the hair happens to be! :cool2:

DUSTYCEDAR
10-03-2004, 11:47 PM
Too each his own.

But to me a mullet hair style is still outdated and old fashioned no matter how shiny and clean the hair happens to be! :cool2:
this from a man that sports a mullet

fga
10-04-2004, 12:13 AM
Too each his own.

comparing a truck to hair has no relavance. hair styles go out of style. trucks do not.
from your statement above, you seem to be style consious, and up on the times... do you sag your baggy pants when you go on estimates? :rolleyes: sounds like a childish outlook to me, to say someone's truck is "out dated".
you have a 93, and a 2003... i'm sure there's some guy who just rolled off the lot at the ford dealer with a 2005, thinking your rigs are fossils.

this is not a pretty boy business. its hard work, and function and profits should come before the " i hope look good" factor.

Smalltimer1
10-04-2004, 01:04 AM
Too each his own.

So you'd rather have 5 yrs. of 7.9% interest, making $500/mo payment on a new rig when you could buy an old pick up with NO interest ($5000 & under), invest a little in fixing it up (rebuild engine/tranny/body & paint work, less than $5000), and then you have a mechanically and bodily new truck for less than a 1/4 of what a new rig would cost and you could look back and say, yeah, that was my idea, or when someone asks who restored it, you can take pride in saying, I did. And best of all, it would all be PAID FOR.

Evan528
10-04-2004, 08:33 AM
Smalltimer, You are correct. I would still rather have the new truck......Obviuosly since I did so.

PaulJ
10-06-2004, 07:20 AM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=43273&highlight=truck

check out this thread.

Jim runs several OLD trucks that look great.
you don't need "new" to look good.
Somtimes it's how "smart" you are about your spending.
I'm planning on getting my 77 GMC back on the road for work and parking the 96 ford 4x4 (even that's old to some) until winter or out of town trips.

Smalltimer1
10-06-2004, 12:13 PM
The only reason I'm not getting an old truck to fix up is because I'm in college, and I don't have the time to give to working on such a project. I do plan to find one during one of my summers though to tinker around on for runnin around home with.

Dig-it Landscaping
10-06-2004, 05:26 PM
I think that old trucks and cars for that matter are great. i would love to drive an old car or truck. It just makes me mad that when someone on this site reads your profile and see's that you are younger they automatically think that you are a cocky know-it-all and are just on this site to talk trash. younger company owners can afford to buy their own vehicles that are nice. When i was 16 i bought a 1995 dodge 2500 4x4 cummins fully loaded with Banks and other preformance items. The same year i bought a 2004 gravely 48" WB, string trimmer blower, 2001 Arctic Cat 4x4 w/plow, and i paid cash for it all without any help( i've been saving money to get started with since i was 10). I am not on this site to brag but i just want to show that younger people aren't always fed witha silver spoon. i really like gettin answers from the more experienced company owners and appreciate the input i get on my questions. I also know i don't know anythings compared to most of the people on this site. i am here to learn. Just please don't stereotype younger people judge each person individually for who they are not their age. just my .02

fga
10-06-2004, 05:44 PM
It just makes me mad that when someone on this site reads your profile and see's that you are younger they automatically think that you are a cocky know-it-all and are just on this site to talk trash. just my .02

dig it,
if you look at the first repsonse to this thread, instead of giving a well thought out response, he called the guys a truck a POS just to get a laugh. your quote above somes up this situaton here.

sounds like you're doing good. but remember in business, gotta try and keep your overhaed down. even if you did buy everyting yourself, great, but just think how many lawns you are going to have to cut JUST TO BREAK EVEN on a $30,000 truck...

Evan528
10-06-2004, 05:53 PM
FGA, Vehicles do infact get out dated looking. Why do you think they modernize the look of cars constantly? This is only my personal opinion....there is no need for you too agree with me. I am just adding my 2 cents as you are.

And no, I do not "sag my baggy pants" because its unprofessional besides the fact that it looks rediculous.

DUSTY- I must have forgotten all about my mullet when I posted! :laugh:

lb59
03-01-2005, 08:49 AM
what a stupid thing to say. what are you driving at 16? (that you paid for yourself)?? a huffy? or a skateboard?

older trucks like that look awesome when you put them together and give them a paint job. don't let any "wet behind the ear" young dude tell you different.

here's apic of my '84 that some would say is old. i keep it nice and get complimented al the time.

============
I have an 86 Dodge D50 I plan to paint Harley Davidson Motorcycle Orange.

I am thinking about buying another 86 Dodge D50 and painting it Chevy S 10 Rasberry.
The guy selling it is asking $800 for it.
If his is as good as mine that sounds like a real deal as I wouldn't let mine go for twice that amount!

mowisme
04-28-2010, 06:54 PM
I didn't read all the responses..but half or so..GTG- but my quick opinion is this: 69 truck in 'unrestored' condition and leaving oil stains on pavement or what not might be a real clincher on accounts..or atleast the more modest homes. BUT, 69 restored and looking 'new' would be classey..and make a positive statement. I think that is what some are forgetting- RESTORED verses NOT RESTORED. You go to a car show..those old 'restored' trucks have quite a price on them if they are POS. ( not pointing at you Young Dude- just a point) I lost a account once to my first truck- 85 Dodge with a converted boat trailer. Million dollar home..just didn't look good to neighbors I guess. But for it Guy- but don't put it into service until painted and any leaks or unessesary noises are fixed. as mentioned..show us some before/after pic's..good Luck. my 2 cents. Geno