PDA

View Full Version : need to learn

all ferris
10-01-2004, 07:06 PM
Most of my business is just cutting grass and fert apps. However, I would like to know more about irrigation systems. I have about 15 yards that are irrigated and I think I could make some more money by servicing the irrigation system in these 15 lawns. I would like to know where I can learn how to do this. Is it something that can only be taught by watching someone else or is there some sort of class I can take. Any info would be nice. Thanks.

Fishin LCO
10-01-2004, 07:16 PM
Rainbird offers classes...I just signed up. Go to there web page for info.

Green Care
10-01-2004, 07:51 PM
I would say both you can get the basics working with someone but the pro's will tell you to take the class.

all ferris
10-01-2004, 09:49 PM
Ok I see that rainbird offers classes. Will these classes take me from knowing nothing about irrigation to being able to at least maintain a system? Also, how much $ can I expect to make maintaining a system. Is it some sort of contract that the customer signs up for every year? I know that the system has to be turned on every year and then blown out at the end of the season. How much can be made by doing just these 2 things with no other maintenance. I guess I just want to know if it will be worth my time and $ to go to this class in Vegas. Thanks for the info.

DALMlawn&landscaping
10-01-2004, 11:52 PM
man, i've seen guys get called out and all they do is replace or clean the sprayhead, and they do about 4 of those in a hour, and they charge like, 50-75/hr, min. one hour, so yeah, would could make money in the repair part, just like i'm sure you can make money in the servicing part. my .02

-i forgot to say, that "4 of those" means, four different yards, so yeah, like 200 bucks in no time. damn con-men.... jk

Critical Care
10-02-2004, 02:14 PM
All ferris, in my past life when I worked for other people doing maintenance I would also get to do minor irrigation repairs; nothing major until I installed my own system. After I branched out on my own I knew that I had quite a bit more to learn. This is how it worked for me.

I first found out what my state requirements were, reviewed their sample exam questions, downloaded their exam guide, and then bought some of their suggested study material. One of these guides, the Rainbird Irrigation Design Handbook, was the one that really helped me get a grasp on irrigation.

Have you checked already checked out what your state requires, and/or what your state offers for help with the exam?

By the way, I still prefer doing maintenance most of the time... but now I do have options.

Green Sweep
10-02-2004, 02:28 PM
A little over a year ago I knew nothing about irrigation. I managed a chemical lawn care company. When I was hired to be an "Irrigation Service Manager", the owner sent me to some Rain Bird classes. I still knew nothing. After a year of working & having my worker teach me the ins & outs I feel like I learned a ton. Still have a lot to learn, but the hands on work & "watching" was far more beneficial than classes.

Rob