PDA

View Full Version : Mower Project

slapshotmike24
10-01-2004, 11:37 PM
Hey. I just bought this mower for $56 on EBAY. It needs alot of work, but should be great when im done. Here is the Before pics. I'll keep posting as i get farther into the project. The first major thing to fix is that huge rust hole. Im just going to weld in a nice chunk of angle iron in its place. Tell me what you think of it!

slapshotmike24
10-01-2004, 11:38 PM
I almost forgot! This thing has a running engine. When I went to pick it up, it started on the second pull! And I drove it on to the trailer! Big suprise to me! And NO, that isn't a scag. It is a very old bobcat (from when bobcasts were orange)! :cool2:

Wreak
10-01-2004, 11:53 PM
Man, you sure did get lucky finding that!! I would love to be able to fix something like that up. Make sure to post some more pics when you make some progress.

l1011100
10-02-2004, 12:29 AM
I bought an old exmark off e-bay for real cheep last year, the previous owner threw a rod and put a hole in the side of the block. A new motor and some blades later it works great. Some times you can find a real gem for cheep. That looks like you got some work ahead, good luck.

LwnmwrMan22
10-02-2004, 06:26 AM
Um, you could have just sent me 1/2 the money you spent on that, kicked yourself in the swimsuit area, and called it a day. Woulda been the same thing.

mdb landscaping
10-02-2004, 12:32 PM
you have an awesome find. we have an old bunton exactly like that. it was my bosses first mower when he started. to this day the thing runs like a top and we all kid and joke its the best machine. we dont take it out anymore cause theres no need for it cause we have all hydro walkbehinds and turf tigers now, but its always in the shop ready to cut if we need it. slap some paint on her, fix her up, and you got yourself a great little machine.

jim dailey
10-02-2004, 05:48 PM
I have 2 of them still around from when I first started, one with the Honda motor just like yours. They are simple yet strong and efficient. I have all hydro stuff now, so they just sit in the shed, just in case they are needed.

Turbo
10-08-2004, 10:22 AM
I would like to find some old mowers like that and fix them up. nice winter job.

mkroher
10-12-2004, 09:00 PM
um.... there's a hole in the deck.

I would have spent the money on something more practical

Wreak
10-13-2004, 08:57 AM
I'm not sure if you could've spent $56 on anything else and be more worth while than this. It seems to have a good frame, engine, tires, etc. The hole in the deck isn't a problem to fix.

huntercook33
10-14-2004, 05:54 PM
Some peope just don't have any vision.

TheKingNJ
10-19-2004, 05:35 PM
I like how the last owners at one time tried to make the bunton look like a scag by painting it scag orange.

jim dailey
10-19-2004, 05:46 PM
I like how the last owners at one time tried to make the bunton look like a scag by painting it scag orange.

I am NOT trying to be a PITA...BUT...you are too young. Back in the day...they WERE orange. Then they changed to green. Probably the 1st one that you have seen that way.

slapshotmike24
10-19-2004, 06:46 PM
Now i am finally starting some dis-assembly. I bought some 4in by 4in angle iron to fix the front of the deck. I was also amazed at the orange paint. Under that ugly green, the orange is in great shape. Now comes the time to start dumping money into this. I have my parts list together and am going to order them this week. I'll try and get some pictures of the mower powerwashed and sanded.

Lux Lawn
10-19-2004, 07:18 PM
Can't wait to see the after pics.

Mclaughld
01-28-2005, 04:01 AM
Any updates?

scaglawnsnj
02-02-2005, 12:29 AM
Hey. I just bought this mower for $56 on EBAY. It needs alot of work, but should be great when im done. Here is the Before pics. I'll keep posting as i get farther into the project. The first major thing to fix is that huge rust hole. Im just going to weld in a nice chunk of angle iron in its place. Tell me what you think of it!
looks like that seen the gates of hell, and made it out. good luck

jim dailey
02-02-2005, 12:49 PM
looks like that seen the gates of hell, and made it out. good luck

Mike; just keep on plugging with your mower project. Never mind the "foul weather" that often drifts by in the form of comments. Don't forget to let us know how it turns out...and don't be afraid to post for any help you need.

ChadA
02-03-2005, 04:47 AM
Yikes that thing has some miles on it. Looks like a fun project though.

slapshotmike24
02-03-2005, 04:28 PM
Hi guys! Sorry, I dont have any new pics. I havent gotten as much done as I planned to. I have my parts ordered and still need to fix the deck. I tore it down and started painting items like the gas tank, the linkages, and the other small parts. I'll try to get some updated pics soon. And for the Paint, I made the plunge, I went and got a Bobcat Green paint for it. I decided on the green so I don't confuse people even more. I made sure I stripped all the orange paint off first though. This mower will look like new when I'm done! And considering the price, its going to make me some serious doh! payup

J.Gordon
02-03-2005, 08:21 PM
You ought to paint it the original color; I would imagine it would start a lot of conversations. Especially with the people that actually know what it is. Just think of the smiles you will put on the OLD-FARTS faces.

jim dailey
02-03-2005, 08:29 PM
You ought to paint it the original color; I would imagine it would start a lot of conversations. Especially with the people that actually know what it is. Just think of the smiles you will put on the OLD-FARTS faces.

Hey, who the heck are you calling an old fart. Just because I can remember the times when all Fords were black...doesn't make me an old geezer !!!

J.Gordon
02-03-2005, 08:54 PM
Hey, who the heck are you calling an old fart. Just because I can remember the times when all Fords were black...doesn't make me an old geezer !!!

But did it put a smile on your face Jim?:D :D

jim dailey
02-03-2005, 09:44 PM
But did it put a smile on your face Jim?:D :D

Yes sir, young man, it sure did! 2 points for you.

PR Fect
02-10-2005, 10:35 PM
waiting for the "after" pics............ :sleeping:

CNE
02-12-2005, 07:20 PM
waiting for the "after" pics............ :sleeping:

Those are the after pics, you should have seen it before!!!!!!

grass disaster
02-15-2005, 05:55 PM
i'm still waiting, what's taking so long?

jim dailey
02-15-2005, 06:02 PM
i'm still waiting, what's taking so long?

Ah, come on, the kid is 16 years old. When you were that age, I don't think that lawnmowers were the only thing on you mind or the only thing to do, especially during the winter. Give him some slack...

slapshotmike24
02-16-2005, 09:54 PM
Ok Guys, I fixed the front of the deck but am still searching for the best option for the muffler. The old muffler was rusted to pieces so I have to hunt down a Honda Muffler to fit that. The mower has been on the bottom of the list this winter, but should be getting finished in the next month. That rust hole proved to be a bigger problem than expected. I think I went through 2 cut-off wheels before using the torch to cut it. I also got to use my new toy, the MIG welder, that I picked up this past week. It was a nice change from the old stick welder to a nice and easy mig. I also upgraded to the auto-darkening helmet. It made all the difference! I will try and get some updated pics of the deck fixed. :waving:

centralarlawn
02-21-2005, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PR Fect
waiting for the "after" pics............

Those are the after pics, you should have seen it before!!!!!!

I was in some sort of trance with my head on my hands, just reading away, and i almost fell out of my seat when i read that. I don't know why that was so funny to me, but thanks! I needed that! :blob3:

slow release
03-17-2005, 09:10 PM
The mower has been on the bottom of the list this winter, but should be getting finished in the next month. :waving:

Hey Slapshot Mike, it's been a month. Where's your pics? I want to see how the mower turned out.

Waiting............ :sleeping:

BSDeality
03-18-2005, 12:14 PM
if that was my mower i think i'd pay you $56 to take it away.

More power to you if/when you get this thing running. hopefully it'll make you some money. i started witha $1000 used beltdrive wb, that was the best way to start out. now... that $8k Z i bought last year still doesn't have as great a return, but its getting there ;)

mkwl
04-27-2005, 09:16 PM
Do you have any pic's of the finished product yet???

slapshotmike24
04-27-2005, 09:21 PM
SORRY! No pics of the finished product yet. It is still up at the shop waiting for a few more random parts. Now that the season started, I havent been doing much with it. I will try and get some pics of it this week, but we will see. By the way, my new Dixie is great! Thats the main reason the project is on the bottom of the list. It isn't necessary at the moment. :rolleyes:

Glenn J
04-28-2005, 09:00 AM
Very cool project!

rusty_keg_3
07-13-2009, 11:29 AM
Come on, its been over 5 years since you started this project... and 4 years since the last update... any pics yet? lol

1993lx172
07-13-2009, 01:24 PM
I don't even think half the people that posted in this thread even come to this site any more.

mowerdude777
07-13-2009, 06:37 PM
I don't even think half the people that posted in this thread even come to this site any more.

your probly right, that mower may no longer be around too

mowerdude777
07-13-2009, 06:40 PM
I found a pic of the mower finished when it was posted http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=216752

LwnmwrMan22
07-13-2009, 11:50 PM

There's some still here, but yes, most are gone.

1993lx172
07-14-2009, 12:12 AM
There's some still here, but yes, most are gone.

I lurked for about a year and a half before I joined and a lot of those names I recognize, a lot the "Old Guard" used to provide great advise to just about every body. Now a days it's hard to get help with out one or more people slamming you and your methods just because you do things a little differently than they do. But good information is still there you just have to get familiar with every one's style of asking and answering questions.

Kennedy Landscaping
07-14-2009, 12:23 AM
Looks like it will be a fun project.

J.Gordon
07-14-2009, 10:25 PM
I still check in one in a while, have fun!

edub32
07-15-2009, 12:16 AM
nice find mowerdude. He did a great job on repairing that deck if he didn't replace the whole thing.