PDA

View Full Version : Big Tex VS. Lowes

LawnBoy89
10-03-2004, 10:23 AM
I went to Tralier Depot the other day with my friend, and I was looking at a 6X10 tralier. It was a Big Tex, for a little over $1400. Then we went to Lowes and I saw a 6X12 trailer for a little less then $1300. I know the Big Tex is nicer, but if I was to buy the one from Lowes, would I have any problems with it? Would it rust? Would the welds hold up? On the way back to my house I say a landscaper with the same exact trailer as the one I saw at Lowes. I'm just not sure which one to get. Thanks.

qualitylandscaping
10-03-2004, 10:31 AM
I would get the Big Tex, just b/c alot of members on here have them and say they are good. I've never seen one but I've seen the Lowe's trailers and they look like they are pretty cheaply made.

The C Man
10-03-2004, 10:33 AM
It's $100, what's the big deal? You'll make up the difference in one day and completely forget about it.

Norm Al
10-03-2004, 10:56 AM
I know the Big Tex is nicer,

you answered your own question!

i_plant_art
10-03-2004, 03:26 PM
its like buying a kia or a ford........... which would u rather drive..... i would go big tex 100% buying a trailer from lowes would cost you more in the long run....

LawnBoy89
10-03-2004, 03:39 PM
Ok, I'm going to go with the one from Lowes....j/k.

I guess you guys are right, the Big Tex did seem alot nicer, but the one from Lowes is cheaper and bigger. But 6X10 can hold alot of dirtbikes, and lawnmowers during the week. Well thanks for the help guys, I'm probably going to get it before winter, even though I probably won't use it until spring, just because of what everyone is saying about the steel prices.

olderthandirt
10-03-2004, 03:50 PM
Ok, I'm going to go with the one from Lowes....j/k.

I guess you guys are right, the Big Tex did seem alot nicer, but the one from Lowes is cheaper and bigger. But 6X10 can hold alot of dirtbikes, and lawnmowers during the week. Well thanks for the help guys, I'm probably going to get it before winter, even though I probably won't use it until spring, just because of what everyone is saying about the steel prices.

Theres more to look for than price and deck size. What are the axles rated for? What size tires and how many ply, the smaller the tire the more revolutions the faster it wears out. What are the decks made of 5/4 decking board or 2x, how many cross members underneath the deck? Lowes does not produce the trailers so do some home work and find out who makes them and there reputation. The larger trailer might include brakes?

Mac

grass_cuttin_fool
10-03-2004, 04:20 PM
also measure the equipment that you plan to put on the trailer. 10 foot looks pretty good size but it takes 12feet to get 2 mowers on. Friend of mine thought a 10ft trailer would hold 2 four wheelers ok, it does but he has to pick one up and turn it side ways every time where as the 12 ft they fit end to end

daycab
10-03-2004, 06:23 PM
I've had a Big Tex Trailer for a year and it has held up well. The selling point for me was the tube rails on the Big Tex as opposed to the angle iron on the other makes I looked at.

Smalltimer1
10-03-2004, 07:26 PM
I've got a Lowes' 5x8, 1500lb. capy. I got it as a birthday gift this year. It's done ok, but it definitely knows when my GT-235 is on it. The steel mesh flooring is sagging some from the sheer weight of the GT-235. I used it enough over the spring and summer though, it doesn't owe me anything. I've hauled lots of junk mowers on it, and lots of scrap metal, lots of trash to the dump, lots of miscellaneous stuff that needed to be moved. The paint on it is pretty thin, so I've got some surface rust on it where the metal of junk mowers has scratched the paint. I am gonna try to touch it up this coming week over my college fall break and straighten up the sags in the flooring.

Towards the end of this coming spring, I'm gonna start checking out Texas Bragg trailers for the summer mowing season (6x12 or larger), and keep the little Lowes for running errands.

LawnBoy89
10-03-2004, 10:26 PM
I know the ones at Lowes aren't produced by Lowe's, but I looked on the sheet with the price on it and it said nothing about who made it. So I didn't even know what to do, and they were like on the side of Lowes where there were no employees.

As for the quads, my friends all have racing quads, your friend might have a big utility quad. I would probably put them in sideways anyways. But most of my friends that I would be taking would have dirtbikes anyways. Thanks for all the help, I'm not sure what kind I'm going to get but at Trailier Depot they said that there is about a $200 difference between the 6X10 and the 6X12, so it's up to my dad, either will do what I need it for at the moment. Thanks for the help guys.

Smalltimer1
10-03-2004, 11:08 PM
They are made by Carry-On trailer Corp.