PDA

View Full Version : JD 757 or ZD 21 Kubota

Mac B.
10-03-2004, 09:26 AM
I am looking at both and don't know if the Kubota is worth the extra money. I only mow 2 or 3 yards a week, one being 5 acres with inclines. I want the best machine for the money and the one that will last the longest with the least amount of problems. I have drove the 757 and it is the smoothest mower I have been on as far as the hydralic system. I have not drove a ZD 21 yet though. I did a search and it seems people are split on the ZD 21, but need to know for sure before I put out any money.

qualitylandscaping
10-03-2004, 09:38 AM
I demoed the 757 and its a sweet mower. Does hold hills well.. I'm not buying anymore Deere equipment because the dealer here doesn't give a $hit about you, but the mower itself is great. Never demoed a Kubota but they look well built.. :waving:

notforprofit
10-03-2004, 10:39 AM
I have "tested" the Kubota on the dealer's property , mot a full demo by any means . However, I'd say it would be worth your time to demo it . My impression of the Kubotas is that they were built very well and would last just about forever . I wound up not buying one and now my biggest regret is that I didn't .
The only complaints I remember hearing related to cut . Some loved em, some hated 'em . I'd guess it depends on the type of grass and the conditions you're using it in . This can only be answered by demoing under your conditions . If you're willing to spend the amount of money either mower is going to cost you, might as well give both a good run through .

QualityLawnCare4u
10-03-2004, 11:15 AM
Mac, I have a 737 and I really like it. but I never demoed the kubuta so I could not compare them. I did get a price on one and it was a lot $$$$ than the deere was. Im sure they are fine mowers though.

Danny

Mac B.
10-03-2004, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the replies. I was worried about power with the diesel being only 21 hp and quality of cut. I know the diesel has alot more torque but is it enough for a 60" deck? I will not be mowing hay feilds just centipede and other NC grasses with some hills.

Thanks Mac

williamjordan84
10-03-2004, 01:51 PM
I have a Kubota ZG 20. Not quite the same but are very close. I've had mine for about 2 months now. I love it. :cool2: The controls are up there, nice a smooth compaired to a few others I tried. One thing that I found that its not the best on hills. It does run away on me. When driving down them, but driving up is no problem at all. But I have noticed if you put the seat all the way back and you drive smart on hils you are ok. But its been talked about that most ZTRs do this on hills from what I have picked up on. They do cut pretty nice. One of the reasons I went with Kubota is the resale value and what they gave me on my trade in lol. Old kubota G4200 tractor. I paid $1,900 and they gave me $2,500 on trade. :cool2: Can't complain about that lol It saves me so much time :) Compared to what I started out with 8 years ago. An old 1974 Allis-Chalmers 716H Garden tractor. :p

B.J.'s Lawn Service
"You grow it...I'll mow it!"

William Jordan

fcl01
10-03-2004, 02:36 PM
kubota is a quality machine. but, we had a zd21 and it seemed way underpowered with a 60" deck. do yourself a big favor and get the zd28.
good luck
Dan

Mac B.
10-03-2004, 05:13 PM
Is it that a ZD 28 has more power to pull the hills or does it just stick better with the added weight. Any 757 guys have any comments.

Thanks Mac

smlavin
10-03-2004, 05:38 PM
I know a couple of guys who use Kubota's for personal use (one gas and one diesel) and they both love them! I love the idea of a diesel but I worry about the weight of these machines on customers lawns. Anyone with experience care to share their experiences with the weight of a Kubota Diesel?

CELS
10-03-2004, 11:32 PM
I believe they mean the ZD-28 is more suited to the 60" deck because of the additional power. I read of the ZD-21 being a little weak with the 60" so I went ahead and purchsed the 28 hp model. I provide lawncare for a factory that has a steep incline. I can fly up it, with only a small change in the sound of the engine. :D

Mac B.
10-04-2004, 04:59 AM
Any words from the John Deere guys. I have a JD GT 235 lawn tractor now which I will keep because it has the power flow 14 bushel bagger on. I have had zero problems with it and love the vaccum. I am just wondering if the ZD 21 or the ZD28 are woth the extra money over the 757. Just like everyone else I want the most bang for the buck.

Thanks Mac

anothertractor
10-04-2004, 08:14 AM
I have a 757. I bought it about 2 months ago. I am very pleased with it. I have a commercial account that has a pretty steep hill on it and I chose the 757 over an Exmark and a Dixie mainly because of it's ability to stay on it. I have even mowed it with the early morning dew and did not slide like the others did on dry ground. It seems to have plenty of power and the price seemed to be inline. I paid $7300 for it. I have never demoed a Kubota but i know that they make a quality product. Good luck.

Pecker
10-04-2004, 10:28 AM
Never demoed the Kubota, but I run a Deere 757 absolutely love it. Cuts great, built like a tank, and the price is right. Also, I'm not familiar with a deisel, but 21 hp sounds way underpowered for a 60". If its power you need, check out the Deere 797. 29 hp with a 60" deck available.

olderthandirt
10-04-2004, 11:18 AM
I know a couple of guys who use Kubota's for personal use (one gas and one diesel) and they both love them! I love the idea of a diesel but I worry about the weight of these machines on customers lawns. Anyone with experience care to share their experiences with the weight of a Kubota Diesel?

The weight difference is marginal when spread out over the length of the machine. I have diesels on 2 mowers and gas on a couple and there is no dif. to customers lawn because of weight.

Mac

Mac B.
10-04-2004, 08:56 PM
I guess what I am really after is does the ZD 21 have at least as much power as the 757? If so I beleive the deisel will far outlast the Kawasaki in years. Anyone have any torque numbers on the ZD 21 and Kawasaki?

Thanks Mac

Thisldoofarm
10-04-2004, 09:10 PM
I have been using a Kubota ZD21 for two years. I love it. 12 acres, horses, pasture, rings, paths through the woods, four acres of lawn. Also use if for pulling manure cart, dragging etc. We have fairly steep (20 degree) hills, and it does fine. With really tall, over a foot, wet grass, it does bog down a little going up hill, but has never stopped cutting. For manicured lawns, perhaps it is not the best, but no complaints, I am very happy with it.

Envy Lawn Service
10-04-2004, 09:33 PM
Hey!!!! WAIT A MINUTE!!!!

Is their not a diesel powered John Deere Z-Trak on it's way to dealer showrooms???

Sam-Ohio
10-04-2004, 09:59 PM
You say that the Deere 757 is the smoothest controling mower you have been on, but then you don't mention that you have ever been on anything else - have you tried anything else ?

If you are concerned about the power and speed of the Kubota, you would do yourself a big favor by trying a demo on the property you intend to maintain. No one here can tell you what is satisfactory for your conditions. Only YOU can determin this - so demo, demo, demo, till you find the best machine, at the best price, from a dealer that will support you and that mower the best.

If you have hillsides that are extemely steep [not just moderate] I personally believe that either the Kubota, or a Scag Turf Tiger , or Hustler should be on your short list of machines to demo. All three of these machines have excellent hillside stability and control due to their very low center of gravity.

biglawndog
10-04-2004, 10:42 PM
I have owned a JD 757 for 6 months now(500hrs) and I am very pleased with it. It cuts St. Augustine grass beautifully and it mulches good. I have the 25hp Kawi and the power is good although it will slow down a bit on two weeks growth in the middle of summer. It holds hills great, much better than my Toro Z 152. I paid $7600. out the door with a mulch kit.
I can't speak about Kubotas,never had one and don't know anyone who has one.

Envy Lawn Service
10-04-2004, 10:50 PM
Biglawndog,

I have tried my heart out on numerous occasions to get a picture of the JD mulch kit with no sucess at all. Please tell me you have a camera and can slide under to snap a shot for me...??? PLEASE...????

kubotazd21
10-04-2004, 11:51 PM
I currently own 2 zd21 with the 60 inch cut. I did own a 28 hp 72 inch cut. Excellent machine also, but it was just a little heavy on some of my picky customers yards. If you are mowing large somewhat flat areas the 72 is the way to go. Its really gets under fences very well, because the left side of the deck sticks out at least 12 inches father than the wheel does. In my opinon the 21 hp is plenty of power for the 60 inch deck. I have never needed more power with the 21 hp. My first zd21 had the stamped deck. It cut pretty well. My 2 new ones both have the pro deck and the quality of the cut is perfect. With sharp blades and clean deck, it cuts like a champ. I just do not think paying the extra money is worth the 28 hp with the 60 inch deck.

Mac B.
10-05-2004, 02:43 PM
Sam-Ohio the only other machines I have demoed are the Snapper Fastback with the 25 HP kawasaki and the Bobcat. the controls were real jerky on both machines. The Snapper kept trying to drag the inside tire in turns. I am no expert on operating Ztr's but the JD 757 made me feel like a pro.

Thanks Mac

havok1359
10-05-2004, 11:11 PM
I have a friend that cuts 52 restaurants each week. He has had his Kubota for over 2 years and said that he hasn't had the first problem. Please keep in mind that he is constantly on the go. Most of the time he is 100 miles from home on the average and I can honestly say from seeing his trailer that he only has the Kubota on the trailer. No other mower. Just trimers and misc......Hope this helps.

Mac B.
10-06-2004, 07:57 PM
OK guys I have found one more mower that I might be intrsted in and need some feedback. The Gravely 260Z caught my eye at the dealer and I was wondering how it ranked with the 757 and the ZD21. The 260Z I looked at had the 25 hp Kawasaki. I am not sure about the hydralic lift on it or the non-greasable spindles. It does not look as heavy duty as the ZD21 but has alot more comfort features.

Thanks Mac

Envy Lawn Service
10-06-2004, 08:56 PM
The 260Z's are nice mowers. See my thread about them.

PLM-1
10-06-2004, 09:26 PM
I have a 722 D2 Grasshopper. It has a 22hp Kubota Diesel. I've gotta 61" deck and i have no problems running flat out in tall grass. From what i have heard, the 22 hp diesel is very comparable to a 27-30 gas engines ie. kaw and kohler. And the diesel outlasts all by far.

Envy Lawn Service
10-06-2004, 10:32 PM
That new 322D/61" M-1 mid-mount looks slick to me.
I'm all for the diesels for working engines.....

PLM-1
10-06-2004, 11:03 PM
the front mount is sooooo nice though!...you must try one out!once you own a grasshopper you will never own anything else!

joshetal
10-08-2004, 03:37 PM
I've got a new zd28 with a 72" prodeck. Just absolutely awesome machine...no issues with cutting inclines at high speed. You should know the machine with rider is nearly 1850 lbs so compared to some of the gasser options...it's heavy.

upsondown
10-08-2004, 04:22 PM
We use both 21's and 28's - and we're weeding out the 28's - for us we just don't find the extra money is necessary - cause the 21's do everything we need and more. My guess is the guys who are saying that the 21 is underpowered - are mowing some wet hayfield crap - or they're playing Mario Andretti - both of which are hard on any equipment IMO. We're totally satisfied with the Kubota - and have had some LCO's using Scag's and Lazer's asking us a lot of questions this year - both on the job and at the service station. Diesel Rocks !

clcare
10-09-2004, 10:50 AM
Kubota's are our mower of choice, zd21 + zd28 = 200 acres/week $$$
1 full tank of fuel per day.
Bought the z28 in may and put 700 hrs on it this year, without a problem!!!

kubota bob
10-10-2004, 09:48 AM
I bought a zd21 with the pro deck last July after demoing it for a week along with Xmark and Toro. I mow 5 acres that is relatively flat, some undulations (swales). I also have some relatively thick grass as some of what I finish mow now was an old pasture. The zd21 does a great job - equal to or better than the Toro or Xmark.

What sold me on the Kubota was the deisel and the articulating front axle. Cutting diagonal across the swales was perfect with the Kubota because of the articulating front axle. The Xmark and Toro made scallops because the front axle didn't folow the contour of the ground. The front of the Xmark and Toro would ride up on the axle that was on the higher part of the swale.

The 21 hp deisel has plenty of power for my thick grass. Seemed comparable to the gas Toro and Xmark 27 and 28 hp.

Pecker
12-19-2004, 12:01 AM
Old kubota G4200 tractor. I paid $1,900 and they gave me $2,500 on trade. :cool2: Can't complain about that lol It saves me so much time :) Compared to what I started out with 8 years ago. An old 1974 Allis-Chalmers 716H Garden tractor. :p

B.J.'s Lawn Service
"You grow it...I'll mow it!"

William Jordan

Hi. I know this thread is a little old but I wanted to ask you about the G4200 you had. I have a chance to pick one up that supposedly runs good and needs a little deck work. The Kubota website wasn't much help and neither were my searches. A few questions for you if I may:

- what years did Kubota make these?
- what was the price new?
- did it have plenty power?
- what attachments could it operate?. . .I'd like to put a front loader on it

Thanks a million.

The Yard Barber, Inc.
12-19-2004, 12:17 AM
I think that what you need to do is go in with an open mind and demo as many mowers as you can untill you find the right one. when I first started looking I caught myself just looking at like two types of mowers. You can find the perfect mower out there for you. just be Patient and will come!

Travis Followell
12-19-2004, 08:37 AM
Personally, i'd go with the zd-21 Kubota. That 21 hp diesel will have a lot more power than a 25 hp gas engine and will last a lot longer and burn less fuel. The extra cost would be worth it IMO.

protouchlawn
12-19-2004, 02:05 PM
BOUGHT A NEW 757 IN jANUARY. RAN IT ABOUT 400 HOURS WITHOUT A HICCUP. i WILL EITHER BUY ANOTHER 757 NEXT MONTH OR TRY THE QUIK-TRAK STANDER.

Travis Followell
12-19-2004, 02:49 PM
Glad to hear that your happy with your 757.

coastallandscapesolutions
12-19-2004, 02:57 PM
I am looking at both and don't know if the Kubota is worth the extra money. I only mow 2 or 3 yards a week, one being 5 acres with inclines. I want the best machine for the money and the one that will last the longest with the least amount of problems. I have drove the 757 and it is the smoothest mower I have been on as far as the hydralic system. I have not drove a ZD 21 yet though. I did a search and it seems people are split on the ZD 21, but need to know for sure before I put out any money.

John Deere 757. If you did more yards/acreage then the Kubota would have some savings over a few years. Go with the 757.