PDA

View Full Version : Shelf life of compost...

pryker
10-03-2004, 11:25 AM
I asked this on the Organic forum over a week ago but have had no feedback and thought I would try out here...

I have an opportunity to get some good compost extremely cheap!! I want to get approx 20 yards for use next spring and through summer. I have a large yard (almost 4 acres) and I have a place to dump it.... however, If I get it now and place it in a large pile how long will I be able to keep it in this pile? Can I store it over winter in a pile without any effect to it's organic makeup? Anything I should do to protect it like cover it with plastic? Will weeds start growing in it over winter?

Thanks

Phil

pryker
10-03-2004, 07:54 PM
Anyone? Just need to know what to do.

GroundKprs
10-03-2004, 09:02 PM
Compost is just partially decayed dead vegetative matter. Depending on the makeup, 20 yards today can equal 5 yards to less than a yard in a year.

If it was properly composted, should not have viable weed seeds in it, unless it has been exposed to seeds blowing in after processing.

Lots of variables.

qualitylandscaping
10-03-2004, 09:04 PM
I would suggest taking a loader and flipping over the pile every month of so, just so the area in the center doesn't start to decay from being so hot. But other than alittle breakdown, there are no serious negative affects from leaving it over the winter..