PDA

View Full Version : 44" ZTR Owners: Would you buy again?

smlavin
10-03-2004, 07:02 PM
Hey 44" ZTR Owners,

Like the title asks, "If you do mainly average suburban lawns (10K with 48" gates) and small commercial properties would you still buy the 44", as your only ZTR, or having used it for a season, do you now wish you had gone with a 52" deck and just used a 36" WB for the gated yards?

I know everyone has their preferences, and lot size is always a factor, but I figure if you bought one of these you probably felt that a small ZTR was the best choice for effeciency. Has that been the case for you?

I think a 44" that does most everything, along with a trimmer would probably be faster than a 52" that I have to also use my 32" with. I'd like to get feedback before spending a few grand! :p

Thanks

QualityLawnCare4u
10-03-2004, 11:17 PM
I have a 48 and a 60 and I would say I use the 48 60% of the time because the 60 is too big. I have ran into several lawns recently that the 48 was about 1 or 2 inches to big to go thru the gate and had to use the old 26 snapper. It really depends on your clients yard sizes as what works best for you. Most folks on here say that a 60 is a good all arond size for most all lawns. Persoanlly if I had to get rid of one mower(which I might) it would be my 60 inch 737.

Danny
Quality Lawn Care

QualityLawnCare4u
10-03-2004, 11:19 PM
BTW forgot to add in my area the most popular mower by far among lcos is the 44 inch toro.

Danny

Kelly's Landscaping
10-04-2004, 12:42 AM
I wish I got to use mine we bought a 44 lazer and since we don't have a second 60 for the other crew they took my 44 and I get stuck with a belt 48 for a second mower. I have been nothing but amazed with the results of the 44 I send my partner and his brother out with it and a 21-inch mower. And as a pair they have done as many as 40 lawns in a single day Iíd say the little guy pays for its self. Fast and very agile its a favorite among my men probably has a lot to do with the fact the 60 is mine but the 44 keeps up with it for the most part. We got it in late June it already has 200 hours on it which is more then I thought a second level mower would get.

smlavin
10-04-2004, 10:37 PM
Thanks guys. :waving:

The information is most helpful. I was looking at 52/54 inch decks but now I think a 44" Z might be more efficient for my needs. It will mean a couple of more passes in the front and back but I could do most of my jobs without having to switch mowers. In the long run that may be faster. :cool2:

PAXLSI
10-04-2004, 11:05 PM
I run with a 42" Walker, I can get into about any place around here. Had a 44" Walkbehind Toro last year and had trouble getting in some of the fences. So yes to the question I would buy a smaller ZTR again. Most lawns around here I believe are to small for a larger ZTR, even though I see alot of Lawn Companys with them.

FuzzyOne
10-04-2004, 11:10 PM
I would never buy another 44" Z. I had one and planned on using it as my primary mower. I sold a 48" WB to buy it and regretted it from that day on.

My lawns range from 5k to 40k with gates ranging from 36" to none on the larger properties. I had purchased the 44" because at the time I had a lot of 48" gates. Big mistake. I've learned that you should never buy a mower based upon your current accounts. I ended up losing a few of those lawns with a 48" gate and picking up ones that didn't have any gates.

Here's a few things to think about with a 44". There is absolutely no trim side. You'll tear up the grass just going around a tree or mulch bed. If your lawns are mostly 5K in size, you'll be doing a lot of turning with the small deck. Also, certain manufacturers decks are shallower with a 44" than the larger sizes (ie., Hustler) One big drawback, at least for me, was also the weight of the mower. We've had a lot of rain and my little 44" was about 1,000 lbs. It made it difficult not to cause rutting.

I've since sold my 44" and went with a 52" TTHP WB. I couldn't be happier and I don't thing I added any more time to my cutting days.

I guess what I'm trying to say is if you NEED a Z, than buy the largest one you can get away with. It took me a long time to sell my 44" because everyone wanted a larger deck. That should tell you something.

QualityLawnCare4u
10-05-2004, 09:10 PM
I would never buy another 44" Z. I had one and planned on using it as my primary mower. I sold a 48" WB to buy it and regretted it from that day on.

My lawns range from 5k to 40k with gates ranging from 36" to none on the larger properties. I had purchased the 44" because at the time I had a lot of 48" gates. Big mistake. I've learned that you should never buy a mower based upon your current accounts. I ended up losing a few of those lawns with a 48" gate and picking up ones that didn't have any gates.

Here's a few things to think about with a 44". There is absolutely no trim side. You'll tear up the grass just going around a tree or mulch bed. If your lawns are mostly 5K in size, you'll be doing a lot of turning with the small deck. Also, certain manufacturers decks are shallower with a 44" than the larger sizes (ie., Hustler) One big drawback, at least for me, was also the weight of the mower. We've had a lot of rain and my little 44" was about 1,000 lbs. It made it difficult not to cause rutting.

I've since sold my 44" and went with a 52" TTHP WB. I couldn't be happier and I don't thing I added any more time to my cutting days.

I guess what I'm trying to say is if you NEED a Z, than buy the largest one you can get away with. It took me a long time to sell my 44" because everyone wanted a larger deck. That should tell you something.

Isnt it funny the way things work out. I bought a 60 inch to go along with all my big accounts and since have lost over half of them. I find myself using the 48 a whole lot more than the 60. Am thinking seriously about selling the 737 just for the same reason you sold your 44. One of the main accounts I used the bigger mower on has not paid in over 6 weeks and Im dropping them, not counting the other big ones I lost if past 2 months. Once again, it depends on what fits YOUR needs the best.

Danny

smlavin
10-07-2004, 07:33 PM
Sounds like 54/60 decks are always a safe bet and the 44's you either love or hate!

I can't imagine the rutting being much different on these size mowers but I can see a W/B rutting less.

No trim side could be a problem but I think I could break out the trimmer to make up the difference faster than mowing a whole backyard with the 32" w/b.

energy
10-12-2004, 01:23 AM
How about the cut quality? With those little blades i imagine the blade speed is not that fast. How about scalping on the turns? Traction? How well does it handle hills? What are the negatives and positives? Thinking about getting one myself.

LLandscaping
12-10-2004, 11:26 PM
We have two 48 ztrs and we use them on most of our accounts. There is a little more overhang on the deck on the 48 than the 44 which allows you to trim around objects easier. We demoed a 52 before we bought our 48's and like it, and probably would have bought the 52 but it was $1400 more. We are happy with the purchase of the 48's they are a great mower for various property sizes.

bettergrass
12-11-2004, 01:08 AM
i would say get walkbehinds for 48 inches and below and ztrs for the 52 and above. just seems economical and practical to me

AEW
12-11-2004, 01:18 AM
I would agree with bettergrass. If more than 4 foot go with ZTR but under definitely a walkbehind. That is best for me at least. Especialy if you are not solo then 2 guys can knock out yards in no time. I have more larger accounts so I like having a bigger mower..it is worth it if you have large spaces to mow.

GrassBustersLawn
12-11-2004, 01:47 AM
I've got a 48" LazerHP & 44 TOro Z-147 & a 36" Metro HP that I run as a package on one 8x12 trailer. The Metro is used only for hills or gates smaller than 44 (not many). The 44 gets me into several yards that the 48 won't. It is not that much less productive than a 48 & it is still riding vs. walking. I love the 44. If I got another it would be a 44 Exmark Lazer HP (better deck then Toro).

Mike