PDA

View Full Version : First Customer

huntercook33
10-03-2004, 07:42 PM
Got our first customer today, $100 a month, twice a month off, four on. A little bit over grown, real fun up a hill with a 22" push mower.

Palmer Lawn Care
10-03-2004, 08:08 PM
Looks pretty good, how long did it take you to mow it?

huntercook33
10-03-2004, 08:13 PM
About an hour maybe an hour and 20 with 2 people. Ran out of gas once, so that took a good 20 minutes. But other than that, most of the time was spent pushing that mower up the incline which wasn't fun. And I now know why you guys don't like dogs.

ALarsh
10-03-2004, 08:54 PM
Congrats on the first account.

What does "twice a month off, four on" mean?

huntercook33
10-03-2004, 08:55 PM
We mow twice a month on the offseason, and then four a month on the on-season

gogetter
10-03-2004, 10:14 PM
I assume you charged more for that initial cut, being as it was overgrown?

huntercook33
10-03-2004, 10:16 PM
Nope, I didn't want to scare her and make her think there were hidden charges.

gogetter
10-03-2004, 10:28 PM
You work harder and it takes longer to do an initial cut on an overgrown lawn. You need to be compensated for it.

twins_lawn_care
10-04-2004, 09:49 AM
congrats on getting your first job!

I think from this one you guys will learn a lot, as I have.

You will see over time:

1) you probably should have charged more
2) you will probably need bigger equipment

You have to start somewhere though. make it a point to try and reinvest in your company, and grow it. SO maybe after a year, you can get a larger mower, and this property will only take half as long, if that.

Looks good though, indeed a lot of work for the push 22"

You said 2 guys were on it. Did you just have 1 mower? maybe you can pick up a cheap garage sale one just in the mean time to speed things up if that was the case?

Good luck with your business, and althought people may give you a hard time, stick with it if you are sincere about it!

TClawn
10-05-2004, 06:55 PM
when I was just starting up I got lots of over grown accounts where the renters hadn't taken care of it and I didn't charge them extra for the exact same reason that you brought up. now I would charge extra for the fist cut because I can afford not to have that customer, but when it's your first account if you don't have that customer you don't have a business, just equipment sitting in the garage.

Garden Panzer
10-06-2004, 08:00 PM
When you just start out you have to get what you can, and get your name out there....
kinda like some trial by fire thing!
Good Luck!
I used to live in Maitland, you got a REAL LONG season there.....

BTW- watch out for the motorcycle cops in Altomonte Springs!
:waving:

huntercook33
10-07-2004, 10:42 PM
Yeah, actually funny story about the Altamonte Springs motorcycles. I took a defensive driving course to lower my insurance over the summer and the ASPD motorcycles practiced about 10 yards away from where we were. Had some good conversations with them, but they do seem to take their job with enforceing traffic a little bit over the edge.

huntercook33
10-07-2004, 10:44 PM
And as for a bigger mower, one of my buddies fathers is the president of a mower store so he said he can get me a 36'' Exmark, a year old with a velkie for $1000 even. So when I get 10 montly clients I'm buying it.