PDA

View Full Version : Modified Shindaiwa Edger

bob
10-03-2004, 08:20 PM
I got the idea from the Stihl edgers. I cut away part of the fender to keep the dirt from building up. Yea I know , OSHA this , and OSHA that!

Stuttering Stan
10-03-2004, 08:23 PM
Looks like a good idea, let us kow how it works(rocks can poke eyes out)

AuburnGuy
10-03-2004, 08:24 PM
I did that to my echo and it made a lot of difference. I have a shindy also, but i have not done it to that one yet. Does it work better now?

Brianj
10-03-2004, 08:36 PM
echo's new edger is like that, but they bulked thiers up and it kept hitting the sod and sticking to it, could get a smooth edge, but that looks fine, let me know how it works

gogetter
10-03-2004, 10:20 PM
I was thinking of doing that to my Husky, since I've heard good things from the stihl owners.

Keep us posted on how it does. Looks like you can even give us a side by side comparison (unless you already cut the other one too!LOL).

bushtrimmer
10-03-2004, 10:26 PM
Why modify and take a liability risk?
Stihl works just fine, and for us outlasts everything else.

gogetter
10-03-2004, 10:36 PM
Why modify and take a liability risk?
Stihl works just fine, and for us outlasts everything else.

If he can cut it and get the same effect as Stihl(as far as reducing/eliminating clogging), why NOT modify it?
And how is it anymore of a "liability risk" then the stihl?

bushtrimmer
10-03-2004, 10:46 PM
If he can cut it and get the same effect as Stihl(as far as reducing/eliminating clogging), why NOT modify it?
And how is it anymore of a "liability risk" then the stihl?

DUH! Anytime you modify equipment you can be liable for an injury to employee or others! C'mon, I hope ur joking!
You guys are supposed to be running a business. One stupid, careless error, someone else will own your business.

gogetter
10-03-2004, 10:49 PM
How is it anymore of a risk then your stihl??

Quality Cuts PLS
10-03-2004, 10:52 PM
I did the same thing to my Shindaiwa edger last year. I used a Dremel tool to cut mine, and a die grinder and sand paper to finish the edges. It works a lot better now, especially on thick, tall lawn edges - you can cut through it, instead of it getting bogged down. I have not experienced any adverse affects from this modification, well worth the effort.

bushtrimmer
10-03-2004, 11:00 PM
How is it anymore of a risk then your stihl??

With your Stihl, you are using it per manufacturers safety standards. It's their a$$ that's mostly on the line if ur using as they design. The second you change the design, it's not being used as intended and liability rests in your hands only.

TURF DOCTOR
10-03-2004, 11:15 PM
It works i have tried it on 2 t260

lawnman_scott
10-03-2004, 11:22 PM
With your Stihl, you are using it per manufacturers safety standards. It's their a$$ that's mostly on the line if ur using as they design. The second you change the design, it's not being used as intended and liability rests in your hands only.
So if you injure someone they will sue you? NO, first they will go after your insurance, then after the manufacturer regaurdless of weather its been modified, then if all else fails, they will go after the broken down mowers and the lawns to mow with them (that would be your equipment and business). That is the way that most of our businesses are veiwed by others, so I wouldnt worry about getting sued.

Critical Care
10-03-2004, 11:32 PM
Bob... I think that your new modified edger needs a new blade.

bushtrimmer
10-03-2004, 11:39 PM
So if you injure someone they will sue you? NO, first they will go after your insurance, then after the manufacturer regaurdless of weather its been modified, then if all else fails, they will go after the broken down mowers and the lawns to mow with them (that would be your equipment and business). That is the way that most of our businesses are veiwed by others, so I wouldnt worry about getting sued.

That's exactly what I'm saying. My business and name is worth way too much to go through that. And if you think insurance is going to take care of it, hah! Everytime one of my customers gets sued in a slip and fall case, it costs me $1000 (in time and private council). No matter if ur incorporated or what, everyone gets sued and you need to cover your own a$$.
The point being, why modify a piece of equipment that's made to certain safety specifications and put yourself at risk for no reason. It's just stupid.
What I was originally trying to say is just buy stihl instead on modifying to be like stihl. Don't modify equipment when you don't need to.