PDA

View Full Version : Finally ! Clockwise Rotating Weedeaters....

Andyinchville2
10-03-2004, 08:57 PM
Hi all,

A friend of mine recently invented a way to make a commercial straight shaft weedeater rotate in the Clockwise
direction. Unfortunately I wil not be able to discuss the method(s) used since he is contemplating a patent on it butsuffice to say it will work on all majot brand, built ruggedly and adds only an insignificatn amount of weight to the unit.

His question to me was how much would a person pay for such a modification?.....I told him I would attempt to get some input on his behalf....So How much (if any) is clockwise rotation worth to you?

I told him I would probably go $200 for such a device because I really wanted Clockwise to start with....

Thanks for your input
Andrew

Eclipse
10-03-2004, 09:18 PM
Personally I would not have much interest in it.

kc2006
10-03-2004, 09:23 PM
Yea i could live with the little bit of torque movement. If they offered a shindaiwa with this new divice and without and the one with was 20 bucks more i probably still wouldn't buy it.

Mac B.
10-03-2004, 09:25 PM
How would it work because my Stihl weedeater has lefthanded threads on the head? If it turned clockwise it would loosen the head when you used it. Why would anyone want it to spin clockwise anyway?

Mac

splatz100
10-03-2004, 09:30 PM
why does it matter?

JPLAWNSERVICE
10-03-2004, 09:36 PM
I just got through working on a craftsman weedeater for my uncle and it is a straight shaft and looking down at the head it does turn clockwise. It reminded me of my old curved shaft weedeater brand weedeater. I took it out and ran it and I did like it rotating that way. Then I got out my stihl fs80 and it turns like most of the other straight shafts. It also reminded me of why I got rid of my old weedeater too, the stihl felt like it had 2 to 3 times more power.

dkeisala
10-03-2004, 09:40 PM
How much would I pay? Nothing. In fact, considering it would void the warranty it may end up being very costly in the long run. Not to mention what OSHA and workers comp people what have to say about it in the event of worker injury.

Greenservice
10-03-2004, 10:15 PM
What difference does it make which way it spins? You can get used to either direction spinning if you have to.

Travis Followell
10-03-2004, 10:22 PM
Personally I wouldn't pay anything for it because I don't care which way the weedeater head spins.

Mico Landscaping design
10-03-2004, 10:32 PM
I really dont care for it cuz i love the way they go now :P thats my 2 since but never fales to try ya know :blob3:

Avery
10-03-2004, 10:34 PM
IMO it would cut the same. So why pay for something that voids the warranty, adds weight, and give no significant performance improvement.

darkshadow
10-03-2004, 10:58 PM
I like mine spinning counter-clockwise anyway. I trim left and the debri is thrown to my right.

The C Man
10-03-2004, 11:08 PM
His question to me was how much would a person pay for such a modification? I told him I would probably go $200 for such a device

$200? You're dreaming. I'd be the first to admit that most of us right handers would like their trimmers to rotate clockwise, but adjusting to counter-clockwise rotation is not that big a deal.

Tom-N-Texas
10-03-2004, 11:14 PM
I have purchased the curve-shaft echo trimmers for years because they do rotate clockwise. Counter clockwise rotation has never made sense to me. I guess everyone who uses a straight-shaft trimmer has to walk backwards when trimming? That's absolutely absurd. I guess it's all in what you're used to.

fcl01
10-03-2004, 11:26 PM
makes no difference to me whatsoever. but he'll probably get rich on it. i have no idea why but somebody will buy it. but not for $200. thats just crazy

Wreak
10-03-2004, 11:32 PM
I'm left handed and prefer a clockwise spinning trimmer. But learn to live with what the makers make.

Hodge
10-03-2004, 11:45 PM
So what about the spin of the head, deal with it....Sthil has left threads and OSHA and workers comp people what have a significant about it in the event of worker injury, an after market modification is another waste of money and additional weight.... Price Zero.

kc2006
10-03-2004, 11:53 PM
I have purchased the curve-shaft echo trimmers for years because they do rotate clockwise. Counter clockwise rotation has never made sense to me. I guess everyone who uses a straight-shaft trimmer has to walk backwards when trimming? That's absolutely absurd. I guess it's all in what you're used to.

why would people have to walk backwards with a counter clockwise? It shoots to the right of you so you start at the opposite end and walk forward. ;)

DALMlawn&landscaping
10-04-2004, 12:08 AM
i kinda got use to walking backwards, its fun and i get to see the string better cause of the way husq designed the debris shield.

a a green
10-04-2004, 12:09 AM
I am sorry to say, I wouldn't pay for it . I have used both rotations, and my thought is 6 of one half dozen of the same. I seem to automatically adjust. I like the Idea that you and your friend are working on things to better improve the ease of job. keep up the good work.
Matt

Fareway Lawncare
10-04-2004, 12:20 AM
I'd buy it....

I Hate Walking Backwards & Can't Learn to use Left Hand on Throttle Forwards....Most of the Guys Trim Forward w/Right Hand on throttle So Changing the Spin Would Rock !

Ryan Lightning
10-04-2004, 12:32 AM
I cant beleive you guys walk backwards. For edging, Left hand on the throtle walk counter clockwise standing in the lawn. Walk clockwise on the sidewalk.

Fareway Lawncare
10-04-2004, 12:36 AM
Easy to Say Ryan...Harder to Do....Getting Righties to Use Left Hand on Throttle...Or if they Can't...Getting them to MoonWalk is Like Pulling Teeth...

Andyinchville2
10-04-2004, 12:50 AM
Thanks for the input so far....In answer to some of the questions here.....My friends modifications do address the left hand threads on the heads, so with his modifications you will not have to worry about heads loosening when the direction of the weedeater head is changed. 2) The issue of weight.....the modifications on his prototype machine (Shin t270) will add less than 3/4 lb....3) Durability - Precision machined from aircraft quality components (he is a machienist (sp?) by trade. Should last a long time and replacement parts are commonly available 4) While some weedeaters do have heads that rotate clockwise from the factory (mostly curved shaft cable drive units), his parts can be used on all major brand (Shin, redmax, sthil, echo etc...) commercial straight shaft weedeaters to make them spin clockwise....commercial quality and power w/ a clockwise spin) 5) As far as warranty....if used on a new weedeater, they won't cause any problems but if it does become an issue because the machine breaks from some other reason,the parts can be easily removed and can be returned to stock form within 2 minutes. 6) I am right handed and while weedeating backward gives faster/better results I never did like walking backwards so to this day I still walk forward and just put up w/ getting hit more often and sometimes having to go backwards on the really tough or thick stuff).....7) As far as price....unknown at this time....he just has a prototype and of course it was done as a hobby/project.....Many manhours went into it but mass production would make it cheaper obviously..... I'll keep you posted but appreciate the continued input from you all.....
Andrew

Ryan Lightning
10-04-2004, 01:17 AM
Im right handed and couldnt use a weedeater with my right hand on the throtle at all. Thats because when i started I saw a lco weedeating and i copied him. It took me 2-3 months til i could run a nice edge. If you want to be able edge as fast as you can walk then i dont think you can do it any other way. I see alot guys try and edge while standing on the sidewalk, it doesnt look as good and when they get to the flower beds they have to change what there doing.

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
10-04-2004, 01:19 AM
$200 for a few parts and some info, you have to be joking. Why the hell would I or anybody pay an extra $200 on a line trimmer that already spent about $200-$400 on the darn thing in the first place. Tack on $200 to change the head rotation and now you've spent $400-$600. With the extra $200 I'd save by NOT buying it, I could buy a cheap backup line trimmer or put the money towards something useful. Personally I wouldnt see a use for it. Ive used several line trimmers over the years and I never even noticed that some spin in opposite ways till someone on here mentioned something about it. Maybe its just me, but why does the rotation make someone walk backwards while trimming? Depending on which direction you walk you either spray the grass towards you or away from you. I can trim going from left to right, right to left, fowards, and backwards. I never have a problem. I just change direction to avoid spraying more grass then needed into the beds. Leave your gaurds on and wear pants and debris are not a problem.

HOOLIE
10-04-2004, 01:34 AM
Righties walk backwards (sometimes) because the trimmer head is rotating in the opposite direction of your walking. If the grass is very thick, walking backwards will make you work "with the grain".

I can't use the throttle lefty. I would have to completely rewire my brain.

lawnworker
10-04-2004, 10:04 AM
Price them bout $ 35.00 and he should sell a lot of those things. I would buy one in a heartbeat at that price. I can't stand counter clockwise trimmers. They probably feel good to left handed people though. Clockwise does make more since for right handed workers.

GrassBustersLawn
10-04-2004, 02:11 PM
We've been using CLOCKWISE for 4 years. About 2 weeks ago I bought 2 new of the same model we've been using. They now rotate COUNTER-CLOCKWISE. What a PITA. We are all used to the other rotation and are having a hard time getting used to the new rotation. Makes a difference which way to blow stuff off walk with & also they are grabbing the turf. SUCKS! I might pay $15 or $20 TOPS for that. $200 is WAY overboard IMHO, because most trimmers run $250 or $300 (for highend), I don't see someone paying $200 (times number of trimmers) to reverse direction!

Mike

LawnBoy89
10-04-2004, 02:36 PM
Personally, I like walking backwards with the counter-clockwise spin. I'm still not sure why exactly I walk backwards but I do.

As for edging, I have an edger but I don't bring it with me on the job since I walk my stuff to the job, but with the weed wacker I find it much easier to edge from the side walk since you can actually see what you are doing. When on the lawn I can't see the edge of the grass and sidewalk so it just makes it harder.

Gravely_Man
10-04-2004, 02:43 PM
A great idea but I really donít think the market is there for this to be profitable unless it is very affordable to the consumer. Most people arenít going to want to pay another large chunk of money just to have the head spin in another direction.

Gravely_Man

Crpdeth
10-04-2004, 04:06 PM
The benifit of a trimmer head rotating in the opposite direction would be of value to me, if the direction change could be implimented with a push of a button, or a lever switch of some sort...There are times while trimming a fence when the posts are to be trimmed, that you simply cannot get the left side of the posts trimmed...If you could quickly switch the direction, and then go right back like it was I would be very interested.

~Crpdeth

gml9
10-04-2004, 05:09 PM
Wow...thats impressive(sarcasm)!!!Is it going to be more productive....no! Is it going to void warranty...yes! Is it useless....yes! Does anyone care....no!
Is he wasting his time...yes!

bettergrass
10-04-2004, 05:55 PM
my new sthil turns clockwise......so i would pay pretty much nothing

JPLAWNSERVICE
10-04-2004, 06:49 PM
moefb93, Just wondering what model stihl trimmer you have with the clockwise rotating head.

dcondon
10-04-2004, 07:39 PM
What difference does it make which way it spins? You can get used to either direction spinning if you have to.

just what i was thinking. if my cub trimmer was spinning the other way i would be all screwed up. Flower beds full of grass and going around in circles. taking to much time.

bettergrass
10-04-2004, 08:18 PM
fs80.....im gonna go fire it up to double check i can sware it spins clockwise....cause when i got it i was like hmmm thats nice the way it spins that way

it keeps all the rocks from hitting my legs and keeps my legs from being full of grass

RedWingsDet
10-04-2004, 09:19 PM
if it worked better clockwise, the big companys like redmax, stihl, shindy, would already be doing this!!!!

im willing to bet 99.9% that the bigger co's like stated above already tried this in R&R stages, and it didnt work as good as the counterclockwise does.

Fareway Lawncare
10-04-2004, 09:44 PM
For 90% of righties clockwise does work better....& they should spin clockwise...If you're walking forwards R to L w/right hand on throttle then You're a Scrub .... Period...You're just Spanking the Grass...

For some reason Left Hand on throttle is Tough for Many Righties...The time has come for this Invention !

Sam-Ohio
10-04-2004, 10:12 PM
If you look at the flywheel side of ANY engine [2cycle or 4 cycle] you will see that the flywheel always goes clockwise.

If the engine has a recoil starter, it is easy to see what direction the starter will pull the engine over to. It's always clockwise.

In a string trimmer there are two types of drive line. There is cable drive , that has a curve in the drive tube and cable, and the cable drives directly into the string head. The string head is turning in the same direction that the engine is turning.
The other type of drive is the straight shaft trimmer. These units have a small gear head at the tip of the shaft that is there to get the string head angled correctly with the ground. Since there are only 2 gears in these drives, they reverse the rotation of the drive. That is why ALL straight shaft trimmers go CCW and all curve shaft trimmers go CW.

There is even a good reason for all of this [it isn't just an accidental phenomana] Did you ever notice that straight shaft trimmers are the only ones that can use a steel cutting blade ? If you have a steel brush blade or saw blade on your machine, and it strikes something like an iron rod, hidden stump - whatever, the whole trimmer can jerk right out of your hands and whip around toward you or your leg. The way they have the blade going will cause it to rotate to the right , which is AWAY from your legs. If the blade was going clockwise, the trimmer blade would whip the machine around in front of you and possibly bring the blade into your left leg. So all this thought has been put into how to make the machines safer, and to keep you from having a new nickname - Stumpy !

Mark McC
10-04-2004, 10:19 PM
There is even a good reason for all of this [it isn't just an accidental phenomana] The way they have the blade going will cause it to rotate to the right , which is AWAY from your legs. If the blade was going clockwise, the trimmer blade would whip the machine around in front of you and possibly bring the blade into your left leg. So all this thought has been put into how to make the machines safer, and to keep you from having a new nickname - Stumpy !

Interesting point, but in my mind, a clockwise-rotating trimmer still makes sense so long as the packaging notes not to use a blade on it unless you're using it left-handed.

Frankly, I'd love to trim without getting whiplashed by flying crap. Furthermore, if you're using the shiled on blades, like your supposed to, the stumpy problem shouldn't be a problem in the first place. I can't see coughing up two bills for this widget, but for somewhere less than a C-note--say, fifty bucks--I'd seriously consider it.

Envy Lawn Service
10-04-2004, 10:20 PM
The benifit of a trimmer head rotating in the opposite direction would be of value to me, if the direction change could be implimented with a push of a button, or a lever switch of some sort...There are times while trimming a fence when the posts are to be trimmed, that you simply cannot get the left side of the posts trimmed...If you could quickly switch the direction, and then go right back like it was I would be very interested.

~Crpdeth
I took time to read very little of what was said here. But the above quote is the ticket......

But personally I would settle for OEM designation like Stihl...
FS 85 S.... Standard
FS 85 R.... Right hand rotation, right hand exhaust exit
FS 85 L.... Left hand rotation, left hand/rear exhaust

Then there is a model for everyone's preferences....

Harry0
10-04-2004, 10:23 PM
I would never put a steel blade on my TRIMMER and most of us don't. If this is why the major companys arent going cw they are out of touch with thier customers. Clockwise makes sense. I use curved shaft for this reason. Though i might be a hair slower (less power)I can out edge and trim most. Price it at $19.99 and I would try it.

Envy Lawn Service
10-04-2004, 10:51 PM
Sam-Ohio,

You are wrong when you say all straight shaft trimmer have counter clockwise rotation.

Not all of them do. The big straight shaft Ryobi's I used to use turned clockwise. Split boom, steel drive shaft... But the engines were essentially mounted upside down and the recoil start was in front at the shaft.

Changing then to right hand rotation for righties would be as simple as reversing crank shaft rotation on the engines or reversing the mounting orientation.

Tobe Lawn Care
10-05-2004, 08:18 AM
There is a way to do this w/no weight gain. Doesn't anyone out there snowmobile? They have the technology to push a button @ idle and change the cranksaft rotation. This would rock! Manufactures need to contact Bombardier and figure out have they are doing it. I have 2 sleds w/it and it works awesome. It allows you to move in reverse w/no extra gears, etc... Funny this topic came up because I was just talking to my Redmax dealer about this.

:pumpkin:

Envy Lawn Service
10-05-2004, 09:03 AM
Now that I would buy... in a hurry... because I like both rotations for different things.

Sam-Ohio
10-05-2004, 09:05 AM
Some golf carts used to have 2 cycle engines that would run either foreward or reverse. Instead of a shiftable transmission , they would stop the engine, change the spark timing, and reverse the starter/generator. The engine would start and run backwards to give the cart reverse. I'm not familiar with the snowmobiles that have reverse, but they are probably doing it this same way, since they also have 2 cycle engines.

You can't reverse a 4 cycle engine - this trick is only possible with 2 cycle.

If you really wan't a trimmer that spins its head in a clockwise direction - just buy a curve shaft unit next time. They all go in clockwise rotation. [Every brand is this way]

JPLAWNSERVICE
10-05-2004, 09:35 AM
It shouldn't be too complicated to change the direction of the head on a straight shaft trimmer with todays technology. All they have to do is change the side the that ring gear is on the shaft that the pinion drives. The pinion being the shaft drive and the ring gear is the gear on the shaft that drives the head. Another option would be a small idler gear that would reverse the direction of the input drive to the ring gear. The weight gain would be unnoticable.

economiclawncare
10-05-2004, 09:53 AM
i dont think that it matters either.

dcondon
10-07-2004, 10:22 PM
I would never put a steel blade on my TRIMMER and most of us don't. If this is why the major companys arent going cw they are out of touch with thier customers. Clockwise makes sense. I use curved shaft for this reason. Though i might be a hair slower (less power)I can out edge and trim most. Price it at $19.99 and I would try it.

We use steel blades on our cubs all the time for cutting down small sapplings. Works great for us. Just change them from a trimmer head to a steel blade. How do you get under trees with a curve shaft :rolleyes:

straightlinelawns
10-07-2004, 10:52 PM
who cares which way the stupid trimmer spins! i'm there to get the job done, so as long as the trimmer will start and cut, then i'm happy, anyways wear pants and leave the shield on and you'll be ok! i like to walk backwards because its kind of fun, but thats a good idea and keep thinking, if you did produce it, you will have to sell it for under 50.00 because i don't think anyone will buy it for any more.

Envy Lawn Service
10-07-2004, 11:44 PM
Well, I would use curved shaft trimmers but.... I cannot physically tolerate the vibration they produce. Now if somebody made one that didn't I would try it.

IF you guys had used a right hand rotation straight shaft trimmer, you'd be spoiled too! They are more productive, more comfortable to use, much safer and produce a much better cut with less work.

bettergrass
10-10-2004, 06:38 PM
i take that back my stihl spins counter clockwise and my old chraftsman spins clockwise.....trust me counter clockwise is much better.....clockwise will shoot all the crap you are cutting down right onto your leg

Harry0
10-10-2004, 08:49 PM
We use steel blades on our cubs all the time for cutting down small sapplings. Works great for us. Just change them from a trimmer head to a steel blade. How do you get under trees with a curve shaft :rolleyes:
99% of our customers have mulched beds that we trim and edge weekly. We have no trees that are not in beds or have circled beds around them. I guess we have no need to cut sapplings-Everyone is different -Have a great week-Harry:waving: