PDA

View Full Version : I bought some fall seed mix and winteriser fert.

BryPaulD
10-04-2004, 08:37 AM
How should I do this?? I have blown all the sticks and leaves out of mylawn. Should I rake it now? Should I put the seed down now and wait a week or so to fert. Or fert first then wait and seed. Or should I just put em' both down now? Thanks :)

ludwiglawncare
10-04-2004, 11:02 AM
What do the directions on the bags say. Did you aerate the yard, or are you just seeding bad areas. I think more info. will be needed to answer the question. Also what type of fert., some with selective weed killers will stunt the growth of new seeds.

BryPaulD
10-04-2004, 03:44 PM
I haven't aerated. I was thinking I should. I did it in the spring, and once or twice in the summer with a mini tiller/aerator, the slicer kind. i've read the posts about those being crappy. I have a pair of those (and don't laugh) plug shoes. I was thinking about walking around the yard with those things on first, maybe with a rake (fluff up the top layer). I saw the forecast for this week, and no frost yet and temps reaching 75, so I thought I would seed and get that going before winter, and that's either scott's bluegrass, or scott's fall seed mix. And then wait until next week and put down this scott's winteriser fertiliser, (says for oct. / nov.) Now I know at some point here in a couple of weeks I'm gonna have to get the blower back out on the lawn. What's the good reccomendation?? Thank you.

Richard Martin
10-04-2004, 05:39 PM
Don't use the fert at the full strength as it says on the bag. Use it at 1/2 of the recommendation. You can burn the new growth. You also need to water, water, water the new seed. You can gently blow the leaves off the lawn after you see new growth coming up. If the seed hasn't germinated by then it probably won't anyway.

BryPaulD
10-05-2004, 08:03 AM
soo, do you reccomend the aeration again, then seed, then water water water, then fert??

BryPaulD
10-05-2004, 04:18 PM
yes?????????

rodfather
10-05-2004, 05:43 PM
If you're in Michigan, you would be better off waiting till Spring to do any reseeding (with or without aerating). You will be lucky to get your seed to germinate fast enough with colder temps on the way real soon IMO...

green with envy
10-05-2004, 08:06 PM
Rodfather, I must disagree with you I am in "almost" central Michigan and my main biz is Hydro-seeding. We seed up until mid Oct and still expect a fairly full lawn this season. After around Oct.15 it's a crap shoot but then it's dormant seeding and will come up in the spring. You just can not use any pre-emergant in the spring.

Mike

oneandonlyjojo
10-05-2004, 08:53 PM
the bag of seeds said to fertizilize at the same time but the bag of fertilizer said to do put on when u put in fresh seeds