PDA

View Full Version : Tilling Estimate on 800 square feet

Keith P
10-04-2004, 01:21 PM
There is an 800 sq foot area of land in my neighbor's back yard that she wants me to sod. All of the vegetation has all ready been killed and no top soil is needed. What is a fair rate to charge just for the tilling and leveling it out. What is a fair rate to charge per 1000 sq. feet for future estimates? I'm going to charge 10¢ per sq. foot to lay the sod and whatever the price for fertilizer is, I'm going to double it to get the fee for spreading the fertilizer.

Thanks for all of your input and tolerance for the number of questions I have been asking.

olderthandirt
10-04-2004, 03:41 PM
What size tiller? are you paying for the sod or is she? same with the fert?
You should be buying the sod and getting a contractors "discount" I pay $1.10 per sq yd for sod I charge $3.75 to lay it which includes the prep work. But your talking such a small area I would have to be getting at least $850 for the job to make it worth my time. You need to supply some more info.

Mac

Keith P
10-04-2004, 03:44 PM
She is paying for the sod, I will be paying for the starter fert. The tiller is betweem 18 and 24 inches. It is a Yard Machine rental.

MMLawn
10-04-2004, 03:52 PM
I agree with Mac. I'd charge her $1.00 a Sq Ft to do the work, which would be $800). Also even doubling you're not going to make a whole lot on the Fert markup so I would just include that in the above price so that she gets everything you do for one price and she probably accepts it easier.

olderthandirt
10-04-2004, 04:03 PM
She is paying for the sod, I will be paying for the starter fert. The tiller is betweem 18 and 24 inches. It is a Yard Machine rental.

Your wasting your time on this job your going to make $80 installing sod maybe $20 for fert and what ever you charge to till probably another .10 a sq. ft. so thats another $80 = $180 The job will take the day or enough of it that you won't be able to get any meaningful money work done. You need to get your prices way up!

Mac