PDA

View Full Version : Changing serpentine belt and radiator?

Expert Lawns
10-04-2004, 03:51 PM
I noticed my serpentine belt is frayed. Not cracked, simply frayed, as if it is getting snagged on something. Is it easy to change them yourself? If so, how?

Also, my radiator is leaking. I can smell it when I exit my truck and if the truck sits long enough, the antifreeze/coolant will puddle on the driveway. What will it consist of to change the radiator myself? Are their lots of hoses to be checked? Not sure where the leak is coming from, and I have never really worked on a radiator in my life. Any insight is appreciated......on both topics. Thanks. Oh, by the way, it is a 94 Dodge Ram 3/4 ton

lqmustang
10-04-2004, 10:07 PM
Never changed a belt on a Dodge, but most serpentine belts I've replaced have been fairly simple. (We won't go into my sister's FWD contour) Just put a wrench on the tensioner pully and pull or push to release the pressure on the belt. Pull off the belt, route the new one properly around all but one pulley, then pull the tensioner again to get the belt around the last pulley. Should be a belt diagram under the hood, usually on the uppper radiator support, to help you out should you get confused on how to replace the belt also.

For the radiator, I would check the hoses first. 10 years old is enough to possibly have some cracking on the hoses. Often times with coolant leaks, the actual leak is not where you see the fluid dripping on the ground to check around a bit.

Good luck. :)

xcopterdoc
10-05-2004, 09:54 PM
The belt and radiator are pretty simple straight forward repairs. I'd suggest getting a repair manual where you buy your auto parts at. They are cheap and have pictures that should outline the repair.