PDA

View Full Version : my new homemade sulky

rookiemower
10-04-2004, 07:28 PM
heres some pics of the sulky i made on Friday. it works great and the pivot points are in the perfect spots. if you dont have a sulky, get one. one of my lawns that usually takes 40 min. by myself took 25 :cool2:

Garden Panzer
10-04-2004, 08:28 PM
That's an awesome thing to make! GREAT work and GREAT PHOTO!!!
:)

FuzzyOne
10-04-2004, 10:27 PM
Nice welds. It look great. I can't tell from the picture, but you might want to make sure there is enough reinforcement for the axles. They take a lot of abuse and I've seen some that have bent the side of the foot platform on homemade sulkies.

What kind of welder? I just bought a Miller 135 and can't wait to put it to use.

equipment_lister
10-05-2004, 07:08 AM
If you notice most manufactured sulkys have bushings and grease fittings at all the pivot joints and axles/wheels. If you do not have a way to keep grease on these joints it will start to wear and bind over a short period of time maybe 1-2 seasons. You may also want to add some no slip to your platform, when your footies are wet. Your welds look good nice job!!! I just wanted to point out that with the right design this could last a very long time.

FrankenScagMachines
10-05-2004, 11:49 AM
Good work Bill.
I can't tell for sure, but it looks like you are missing one pivot point... You need a horizontal pivot- so the right or left wheel can go over bumps and into dips and pivot that direction. This also makes a performance difference when turning (especially with a hydro drive but i know yours is belt).

rookiemower
10-05-2004, 12:26 PM
:) i know about the grease fittings ect. but right now i'm not worried about it. Eric i now the others have a swivel but the way it is now it aready has enough play to compensate. Thanks guys

Petr51488
10-15-2004, 07:38 PM
Nice beer in the bag.. lol - Peter

rookiemower
10-15-2004, 07:40 PM
i was waiting for someone to mention that. i have an older lady that i mow for and her jerk-off punk neighbors throw them in her lawn. :dizzy:

YardPro
11-14-2004, 09:52 AM
excellent craftmanship. i would be a little concerned that the mounting plate sticks so far down below the back of the mower. will it not hit the ground ?

rookiemower
11-15-2004, 08:53 PM
yard pro, yes the plate is alittle low it does hit once and a while, the reason it is so low is because i welded the mounting bracket on the sulky alittle to low :waving:

tiedeman
11-16-2004, 12:20 PM
are you going to be putting any foot grips down? Seems like you would slide on that and slip out of the unit