PDA

View Full Version : Question for the "Big Boys"

Acute Cut
05-26-2000, 02:51 AM
I have about 70 or so residential accounts. I have 2 commercial accounts. Obviously commercial pays tremendously more. I want to get apartment complexes and business's. How do you go about getting to them? What about for the city? Any and ALL tips will be considered and applied immediatly. Thanks guys and gal(s)<br>Have a good mow day ya'll

Guido
05-26-2000, 05:21 AM
I'm not a &quot;big boy&quot; anymore, but thats an easy one! Apartment complexes, condo's, industrial parks, stuff like that: Find out who the property manager is and find out when they bid the property, how long is the current contract with the contractor thats doing it now, Do they even have a contract, are they happy, etc?? They will usually have a bid package (or can write you one up) to tell you what services they excpect from you and you have to base your bid on that, and your own survey of the property. City and State.......I've only plowed for them, no lawn care/landscaping. The pay is good and defenitely good advertising but usually you have to wait quite some time for your cash. Same thing though, usually they'll post new bids and maintenance bids in the local paper or you can call the street department and they can point you in the right direction. Remember, unless you know someone whos someone in the city/state, They (99.9%) ALWAYS go with the lowest bid. Well hope I helped.<p>----------<br>&quot;guido&quot;<br>David M. Famiglietti

HOMER
05-26-2000, 06:02 AM
Don't be fooled by the thought of big money at apt. complexes! Once you figure your man hours you will probably find there is a lot more money in the residential market. These complexes are complex and time consuming. Property managers are looking for the lowest price around and not much more. Commercial properties pay more than apt.s but you WILL have to wait on your money on some of these, at least don't expect it in 10 days cause it ain't gonna happen, it will affect your cash flow if you let it.<p>Happy hunting,<p>Homer<p>P.S. Guido was right, knock on the doors and make the calls, you have to let people know you're out there!

southside
05-26-2000, 09:12 AM
Speak to project managers and see if they<br>would be interested in you drawing up a <br>maintenance proposal for the site.<p>Karl<br>

yardsmith
05-29-2000, 12:34 AM
Dittos on homers reply. <br>This year I'm really starting to see the light.<br>Based on the cutthroat rate of bids (EVERYBODY wants comm. work) in our town, the going price is ridiculous. Jobs that take 2 guys- 1 mow with Z & other trim are in & out in 30 min. pays 40-50 bucks for actually 1 man hour + equip usage. I also have $25 residential lawns that take 10 & 13 min, or 25 bucks for total of .33 man hrs. which equal more than a dollar a minute- & it's a lot easier to get 25 out of a residential than to get what a comm. place is worth.<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>

Acute Cut
05-29-2000, 02:27 AM
50$! WHOA! I am glad that my area isnt that bad. We get about triple that up here. I guess our market is much less swamped. This year i have had alot of customers tell me that they have been approached by other companys swearing to &quot;Blow my prices out of the water!&quot; My customers said they werent interested and told them they could leave cause they were very happy with my service. I was very happy to hear this. I guess spending that extra 15 minutes listening to little old ladies tell about their old cats really pays off. lol. Starting June 12 (When my two new hires start) i will be mowing less and attempting to do what ya'll have said to do. I am going to go official into the commercial market. I bid one the other day and the guy turned me down because i was under 30 years of age. I guess he figures i will not show up or something. I have noticed though that the company that he did hire still hasnt shown up yet. Hmmmm....<p>Thanks for the help guys.<br>Have a good day.