PDA

View Full Version : Tire Marks on Driveways

jhawk71
10-05-2004, 12:10 AM
I have a Wright Stander and it is constantly leaving black tire rubber marks on customers driveways. It's not mud, it usually happens whenever I make a turn, even a very wide turn. Should I adjust tire pressure? I'm 6' 2" and weigh 200 lbs, is that to much weight? I sure hope not. I try to avoid turns on driveways or sidewalks but sometimes its unavoidable. What should I do?
Jhawk71

By the way its a 48"

ScCo
10-05-2004, 12:24 AM
i do the same thing with all my machines. adjusting the air pressure isn't really gonna have any effect as it is just one of those things that happens when you have a tire pivotting (even if the inside tires is constantly moving) on a driveway. Generally if you look at where the homeowners back out of their garages you will see that their vehicles tires do the same thing.

Just part of being on the concrete.

ScCo

Fescue Farmer
10-05-2004, 12:31 AM
JHawk,

I too leave black tire marks on driveways - especially new driveways. I am very careful when I turn, but it is almost impossible on new driveways to not leave a mark. I have posted about this before, and got a few suggestions, and a few grumpy responses that seemed to indicate that I have no business being on a sidewalk or driveway..... :dizzy: ........to each his own, but the patterns I lay in the turf require me when possible to come off of the turf and onto a sidewalk or a driveway.

My solution - gray-nonmarking rear mower tires. I don't think anyone is making them, but the technology is there, but I think the tire manufacturers will not pursue it due to the fact that they do not see a good $ making market in it. I call the guys at Carlisle tire in SC occasionally and pester them about it. At the Expo in Louisville, I pestered all the vendors representing tire companies and got mixed responses - mostly negative. If I could buy a set of appropriately sized rear tires for my Super Z's, I'd buy them in a heart beat! Anything to leave my finished product that much nicer.....

Fareway Lawncare
10-05-2004, 12:40 AM
Turn on the Turf...I see these Stripe Obsessed Nutz turning on Hard Surfaces to Preserve their Precious Lines While Blowing Clippings & Creating Tire Marks & Grass Marks on the Hard Surfaces....Grow Up !

ScCo
10-05-2004, 12:51 AM
criticizing what other people do or the equipment they use (your other favorite past time) is quite immature in and of itself. Maybe you should consider taking the last two words of your post as advice that you apply in your own life.

Fescue Farmer
10-05-2004, 01:22 AM
Was Fareway born an a**hole, or is he just working at it real hard on lawnsite?

Fareway Lawncare
10-05-2004, 01:34 AM
the Truth always Stings....Just a Bit.

ScCo
10-05-2004, 02:04 AM
so Fareway,

in your infinite knowledge could you tell me how to turn to approach a curb for an island and how to get up on the island without leaving black marks?

See, not everything applies just to striping. So, if you can't offer any advice to the poster's original question, what is the point in making off topic remarks?

The question was is there anything that can be done to minimize marking on pavement via tire pressure adjustments?

The question was not "what do you think of striping patterns that require driving on hard surfaces?"

Branchland
10-05-2004, 07:31 AM
I have a few yards that this happens on too. What I've been doing is turning around in the yard and when I'm done mowing/striping, I do one preminiter cut around the whole yard to try to get rid of the turn around marks.

Precision
10-05-2004, 08:37 AM
slower speeds, wider turns, harder compound tires. Tire pressure will not make a difference unless you go to low. Then it will be even worse.

If the client doesn't say anything don't worry about it. It usually is gone by the next week on my properties anyway.

If you are marking curbs, your tires might be old or bald or the curb is too high for the mower. I only mark those when the tire spins on them. Burn out mark. Otherwise I don't mark curbs.

Those painted driveways are the worst.

LwnmwrMan22
10-05-2004, 08:58 AM
I have a few yards that this happens on too. What I've been doing is turning around in the yard and when I'm done mowing/striping, I do one preminiter cut around the whole yard to try to get rid of the turn around marks.

I start out going around a property 2 times, since the width of these two passes is the distance that the grass is thrown out of the discharge.

If you do this, there's really no need to ever be on a sidewalk or driveway.

If you think your stripe has to go all the way to the edge of the concrete, without a "barrier", then you're going to have to live with a turn mark on the concrete, no way around it.

DennisF
10-05-2004, 08:14 PM
I do my best to keep the mower off paved surfaces. Sometimes you have to cross a driveway or walk to get to turf on the other side. In those cases I make sure that I don't turn while on the pavement.

TURF DOCTOR
10-05-2004, 09:34 PM
Try a 3 point turn on concrete.

morturf
10-05-2004, 09:52 PM
I have found that if you pick the whole machine up and turn it around there are no tire marks on the grass or the pavement. :)

Fareway Lawncare
10-05-2004, 10:14 PM
Fescue Farmer, I have seen your stripes & they are truly magnificent. However, in the Hurly Burly, world of production mowing, striping causes unwarranted inneficiencies such as a "need" to turn on pavement, remowing lines to erase inconsistancies from maneuvers around objects etc..

The main question one must answer is does the customer care about the stripes as Much as I Do ? In your case, the answer may be Yes...

dcondon
10-05-2004, 10:53 PM
I tell our workers to stay off from driveways unless we have no choice. I hate it when the grass is wet and it takes 10 min's to blow it off :angry: 99.9% of our driveways you can stay off from!!!!!